Typical location of outhouse on hilly homestead?

Skadar

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2003
SW Connecticut
Question for you guys... I've got a couple of foundations in the woods here on a shallow hillside. Am I right in assuming that the outhouse would have been located downhill from the foundations... assuming that they were dwellings? Hmmmm... although... downhill would have been closer to their drinking water supply which would have been a stream about 200 yards down the hill.

R

RonWV

Downwind, on the side of the house downstream from water. Definatly not uphill or downhill. Don't want to climb going to and fro and slipping and sliding in the winter. Close enough to the house to be able to "follow your nose" at night, and you thought it was just a simple hole in the ground.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RonWV said:
Downwind, on the side of the house downstream from water. Definatly not uphill or downhill. Don't want to climb going to and fro and slipping and sliding in the winter. Close enough to the house to be able to "follow your nose" at night, and you thought it was just a simple hole in the ground.
Ron,you got it.I lived (for a summer or two) in rural areas(Morgan co.Ky.) where you had to use an outhouse.It was always to the side of the house or sometimes out back,and always close enough to "follow your nose" :P and not break a leg getting to it.Ahhh-the good ole days......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions