Youve Found an Awesome Location... Where Do You Start?

Skadar

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2003
SW Connecticut
You've Found an Awesome Location... Where Do You Start?

Okay guys... I've come across a wonderful location that appears to be pretty much untouched. The problem is that I don't know how to maximize my time. I have no idea where to start. I'll describe it to you as best as I can.

It is a rather large 1-2 acre site in New England heavily wooded, boulder-strewn, hilly terrain about 200 yards from a lake. There are stone walls 2-3 feet high and wide going all over the place. Some of them curve around and enclose upon themselves. There are about 4 or 5 obvious structure stone foundations... all of different sizes.. with no clear indication as to their purpose. A few of them have clear entrances in the stone walls. A couple of the stone foundations actually incorporate giant boulders as part of their walls. Looking from the lake, behind the site is a small ridge that drops off rapidly to a stream and rock and boulder-strewn, swampish lowland. Some of the foundations have trees growing in them. The smaller ones are FILLED with forest debris and stones... probably at least 2 feet thick until you reach dirt. One of the small "rooms" has earth built up around the outside of the walls. There are a number of large trees, but none that appear to be upwards of 200 years old.

I made my first visit to the site yesterday and spent about 2 hours fending off mosquitoes and searching randomly. I ended up finding two coins that were very badly corroded... just barely identifiable: 1909 Liberty V Nickel and a Large Cent (possibly 1810).

I'm thinking of bringing a small rake with me next time I go to clean out one of the smaller foundations before attempting to search it. How should I go about effectively searching it?

If I place myself in the shoes of the one-time land owner, there are so many potential hiding places for any goodies. With all the huge boulders and walls around, the possibilities are endless. Where would YOU concentrate your search?

Thanks for any help. Oh, and I'm going to visit the local historical society to see if I can uncover the history of this site.

p.s. I should also mention that I'm using a Bounty Hunter Land Star with 8" and 4" coils. I'll most likely be using the 4" exclusively as there is so much litter that it's really difficult to swing the 8 incher.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Re: You've Found an Awesome Location... Where Do You Start?

Being in New England myself i live near one of such areas too, some of the holes are just pens for animals, such as chickens, others with dirt built up around them could have been cellar holes. Pics of these would help alot too ;) I have found some with granite steps in tehm, and they turned out to be just chicken pens and such. Those are some great finds! I would dig down a few feet in the cellar holes, and detect alll the dirt in em, also look for square deppressions around the cellar holes as those could mean a privy or outhouse. Remember, they had to have dumped all their bottles and such somewhere close. What state are you in? Im in Mass.

OP
OP
Skadar

Skadar

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2003
SW Connecticut

Thanks for the tips. I'm in southern Connecticut. When I return I'm going to bring my camera with me in order to document the layout of the place... it's quite confusing. Now that I think about it, I should probably also bring a spade... as a rake might not cut it. Heh.

Also, in what mode would you search this site? Should I use raw Disc mode in order to dial out all of the nails that must be in the ground? My main target is silver coins, but I certainly wouldn't want to pass up the possibility of finding a cache.

Thanks!

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

Well, I search in disc mode but I set it all the way down, just to eliminate nails. I hunt primarily for relics and old coins. Are you interested in finding relics too? You would be surprised at some of the cool artifacts that come out of old sites, pretty much anything old and not-iron is worth saving and posting. Even some iron relics xan be valuble or old and worth keeping ;D Let us know what else you find and I cant wait to see the pics ;D

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc

if it truly a virgin site and you are pretty sure that noone else knows about it. hunt it in all metal and dig everything. by doing this you will dig a lot of trash yes, but you will reveal signals that the trash is hiding. a piece of iron 3 inches above a gold piece will mask the gold piece or the silver dollar or even the penny. you use discrim that gold piece will be there for someone else.

old sites, untouched, dig it all

Vrent

OP
OP
Skadar

Skadar

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2003
SW Connecticut

Vrent. It can't possibly be a virgin site. But the fact that I was able to turn up two very old coins in a short amount of time seems promising. Thanks for the tips. I should be hitting the site again this afternoon.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I live in Connecticut and like to use a 8" coil for single coins and a larger coil for bury treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread