UNBELIEVABLE FIND LOOK AT THE 1795 FLOWING HAIR HALF!!!

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
Unbelievable that is the first thing that came to mind when I found out my field has been mowed...I have been waiting for this moment for months...Driving by every day!!! Well today I got the call...It has been MOWED!!!! No way I said.....Yes way dude....I am on my way!!! And that is how it all started. I met my buddy John at the field and we decided to work around the area we parked. I usually park 100 feet further up the road so I had never hit this area....My first signal.....And what a signal........Now anyone who uses a Whites XLT knows if you get a +89 signal that does not waiver....You dig very carefully....I took my time pinpointing this target....5" deep....Well After getting down 5 inches I was still hitting a strong+89......Oh boy....I am telling you people....I had goosebumps....I still do....But there was a problem.....My target was not in the center of the hole like my trusty Whites XLT told me....Nor was it 5"s deep...It was on the side of the hole...at a HALF inch!!!! OMG I scratched it.....Poor John....He must have thought I was insane...I was running across the field on a dead run.....Screaming punch me in the face...I ruined it....What he was thinking......Until I opened my hand.... And there it was.............OMG A 1795 FLOWING HAIR HALF DOLLAR!!!! Well let me tell you....I am not sure IF I scratched her or if she was hit by the plow...All I know is she was hit....A HEART BREAKING thing...I almost puked on the spot...I hope this does kill the value....I also found this button...It has a girl scout type symbol with GS on the top an some type of bird in the symbol....And this worn big time...coppa. My buddy found a 1787 NJ copper in very nice shape....I would tell you more but I really want to post this....I must go puke now...sigh... ;D

Attachments

• draped.jpg
    draped.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 6,675
  • coppa.jpg
    coppa.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 6,172
  • button.jpg
    button.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 6,213
  • edge.jpg
    edge.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 6,261
  • backdraped.jpg
    backdraped.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 6,951
Upvote 1
OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
Re: UNBELIEVABLE FIND UNBELIEVABLE DAY LOOK AT THE FLOWING HAIR!!!

Ridley said:
That's an incredible find for sure!

I wonder what a person could buy with a half dollar in 1795? I'm sure when you walk onto that field next time it will be 10 times more exciting to hunt.

Just knowing, maybe there's another one.... ;)

Congratulations, Outraged!

Great job!

Ridley
I can only imagine how much 50 cents from 1795 would be in todays money. This person must have been sick over losing it. I was sick from finding it....All in all.....the last 2 people to touch this coin were sick over it...lol. I will be meeting a buddy at this site at 9 AM tomorrow...I PRAY for another...lol...Yea I wish!!!

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
That scratch looks like it had been there. A fresh one would've been nice and shiny. Awesome find, congrats!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Congratulations, Outraged, for finding the best silver coin I have ever seen posted... :o The hairs on my arms are standing just looking at that pic. Can't imagine how you feel. Yes, no sleep for you tonight. Maybe you should go and camp out at that field of yours... ;D

Scratch or no scratch, that is a beauty for sure. To think I felt bad today when I nicked the three mercs I found, because of the hard soil conditions. Hey, if you think you scratched it or not, it happens to the best of us. If the area around the coin had been plowed up, the scratch most likely would have happened at the time of the plowing.

Not very many people today can say they found one of those coins. Yes, I'd say it's definitely a find of a lifetime.

The prices "DigginItUp" posted for you are for Early Dollars, not Halves. Per PCGS, here's the prices for the Early Halves:

G F EF AU 60 62 63
1795 750 2250 11500 25000 36000 50000 70000 115000 175000 -
1795/1795 Recut Date, 3 Leaves 2500 4500 16500 30000 45000 - - - - -
1795 Small Head 900 3000 13500 30000 38000 57500 - - - -
1795/1795 Recut Date, 2 Leaves 1000^ 4000^ 13500 - - - - -

Congrats, again, bud.
HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

PS - outraged, check out the pic of the rev. of a flowing hair that's being sold on ebay for around $2000. I'm looking at the "A" on STATES on your coin, and I think yours may be of this variety. Easily recognizable as O-113 (R.3) as the word STETES was originally cut in error then recut as STATES; the serifs of the E are plainly visible behind the A.

Attachments

• 50c_1795_Flowing_Hair_Half_Dollar_PCGS_VG_10_rev2 (600 x 594).jpg
    50c_1795_Flowing_Hair_Half_Dollar_PCGS_VG_10_rev2 (600 x 594).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 5,414

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Hey Outraged,

Superb find,
Congrats my friend.

Everything els has been said.
Remember this when you get skunked.
Days like this are especially good for that.

Congrats again,
OD

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
I took the liberty of researching how much things cost in 1795. Here's a page from a guys diary from that year.
Diarypage.jpg

Here's the link to the entire diary. It's strange how they used "f" as "s".
http://books.google.com/books?id=ai...LmUe&sig=EcYgX2iJ-0T3nUKaYSRcpE0s1fk#PPP11,M1

It's fun to read. Kirk. When you read it, feel free to just insert plenty of sauntering 1795 "dudes". :D

Congratulations again, outraged!

Ridley

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Most of my silver coins come from farm fields and often have scratches like yours does, looks like the scratches were from the field. Nice find and HH, Mike

ravenguide

Jul 29, 2007
upstate,NY
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
Oh man, what a friggin great find! fantastic,think I would sleep with that one,maybe it will reproduce!
Raven

ydduit

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero; Garrett ACE 250
Incredible find!! :o

I can only dream of finding something like this...

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Wow -- inspirational find for everyone. Congrats on a great one!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in my opinion one of the Most Beautiful coins ever made.

Congrats !

I decreased the size a bit ;)

!ndex.jpg
!ex.jpg

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
As someone used to say, "HOLYOHBOYSHT!"

Regardless of the (pre-existing your dig, I'd say) damaged spots, look at the detail on that coin!

You'll be flying for years on this one, every time you think of that first look.

Congratulations!

Oh yeah, Brownies are junior Girl Scouts. Bluebirds are junior Camp Fire Girls.

Ralphw

May 26, 2003
long island ny
Detector(s) used
white's dfx Bounty hunter landstar
Great find.......
finds like that always get my imagination going back to how it was lost in the first place, thats an old coin...wow

congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread