Unbelievable Todays pics added 10-14-06

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Got a new little Toy the ace 250. Tried it at the beach when I was down and was impressed with it in the dry and wet sand.
Had no problem with Quarters at 10in. I got home and decided today to give it a real test and take it relic hunting. Went to a spot that has been heavily hunted by me and others for years. I have hunted this spot my self with a Minelab Explorer (heavy but gets great depth), Tecknatics T2 (would not recommend this detector to anyone I hated it), Whites XLT (great relic and coin machine do not like it in the wet stuff on the beach), Whites DFX (my favorite Beach machine have found lots of gold right to the waters edge with it. Also good on coin and relics), Tesoro Cortez (had this machine for a while liked it but seemed to use the DFX more so it was sold), And also hit this sight a lot with my Troy Shadow X5 (my favorite Relic hunting machine have found bullets with the X5 when every one said it was hunted out.) That includes three detectors that retail for over $1000. Last time I was out with the Shadow at this spot dug three signals in about three hours. one was a burnside bullet. other was a 22cal bullet and a deep shotgun shell. So off I go with the ACE thinking if I find any thing I will be impressed. Up the trail to the top of the hill where I have hunted twenty times before. Turn the 250 on walk about twenty feet and get a good penny reading at 6in. That is about where a bullet will come in, dig the hole and out pops a round ball (WOW). Soon after another signal and a 22 modern bullet 2in deep. Couple of shotgunshell tops and then another penny dime signal. Could it be? Yes another bullet what looks to be a 69cal three ringer at about 10 in. Also pulled several more pieces of trash then another round ball, piece of a round ball, Burnside cartridge, and another small piece of a burn side cartridge. All this in about a hour and a half. If you had told me that the ace 250 would have found relics in the same area I thought was almost hunted out with every high end machine out I would have thought you were insane. I still cant believe it must be some freak Friday the 13th accident. I will have to slip off with the 250 to try this spot again when I have more time.

Hear are the Ace 250 goodies fresh out of the ground.
Was hunting in relic mode sensitivity max.

Attachments

• IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,482
Upvote 0

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Unbelievable

Interesting? Do you have pics???

swingingmydfx said:
Thanks Guys I have the explorer XS. I would sell it as I do not use it much any more. It has been turned into a water proof surf explorer so you can wade right in. Has three coils I could be talked out of it. Took the Ace out at a heavy hunted relic spot again to day hunted with the guy who sells my my detectors to me. He hunted with the New white's M6 he got 3 bullets The Ace came up with 5 bullets and a grommet of of a civil war tent. Three of the bullets were small pistol bullets. Will post pictures soon. I had to take a 15 min break to fix my 250 arm cuff snapped right off :'( . A walk back to the truck two wire ties and I am back in business.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs man, congratulations. It is always thrilling when that white lead comes out of the ground. I dug a two-ringer just yards from my back porch...completely unexpected.

Can't wait to see what else comes out of that ground man, keep us posted.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like there is someone here who just doesn't understand how to work the explorer very well. I can't imagine any SANE person willing to keep an ace 250 over an explorer.

Bring on the hatred.....

But hopefully someone willing to give the explorer a good home will buy it from you.

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't get any hatred from me *hahah*

An Ace 250 just doesn't hold a candle to the Explorer...simple.

Sure, for a beginner detector, the ace 250 is a good machine. I played with one at a dealer for fun...and it had a seemingly good recovery speed on a coin beside a nail. That being said, it was on the top of the ground. the machine does offer some good features at it's price...but...

who in their right mind would sell an explorer and keep an ace 250?? Other than for financial reasons, etc.

The 250 won't get you half the depth of an explorer...and certainly won't pull out the goodies out of iron like the explorer will.

bscofield6 said:
Sounds like there is someone here who just doesn't understand how to work the explorer very well. I can't imagine any SANE person willing to keep an ace 250 over an explorer.

Bring on the hatred.....

But hopefully someone willing to give the explorer a good home will buy it from you.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:

Bring on the hatred.....

To each his own...why do you always have to make it a personal thing? "SANE person"...no need of that!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
bscofield6 said:

Bring on the hatred.....

To each his own...why do you always have to make it a personal thing? "SANE person"...no need of that!

Saying that, I just now ordered the Explorer SE and am really looking forward to getting my grubby mitts on it!

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Perhaps this should be moved to metal detector reviews. All I know (which is dang little) is my ace 250 with lg coil, goes deep, discrimenates metals,(not size vs depth so great) and finds cool stuff.

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Sorry Explorer guys you are wrong I have hunted the area I am finding this stuff for years with many many detectors. The 250 does a better job than the Explorer in this spot. This is not a thought it is a fact. I like the Explorer for depth it will get as good or better depth than any detector out. It does not have the target separation of other detectors I have used and is just to heavy for me. I can assure you I do not need the money
And have a closet full of detectors pinpointers and other goody's. I have used the Explorer in this spot many times I am finding relics with the 250 that the explorer did not hit. I also do not like to hunt as slow as the Explorer requires you to hunt. These are a few reasons I would sell the explorer and keep the 250. I know it is hard to believe that is why I titled this Unbelievable I still have a hard time believing it my self. I have also hunted this site with many other high end detectors.

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Wess here is a picture of the surf Exp. Max is the one who gave me the plans for this. It also has Grey Ghost Water proof head phones.

Attachments

• IMG_1634.JPG
    IMG_1634.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 424

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fair enough...but perhaps the Ace 250 does a better job than the explorer (in your hands) at this site??

Do a lot of machines have a faster recovery speed than the explorer?? Certainly do! I'll be the first to say the explorer has a slow recovery speed. That being said, if you know how to use the explorer, you won't miss too many good targets...at least nothing other brands/models can pick up. That's the beauty of the explorer...you can be virtually in no motion and pick up targets...so it negates the need for afast recovery speed.

Now you may not like hunting slow...and well, if that's the case, you may as well sell your explorer. I am sure you can whip through that site with an Ace 250...but I'd bet you a large chunk of change I could walk in your footsteps and pull out a pile of good targets that you missed.

I realize not one machine does it all...but I can't think of a single instance where one would pull out an Ace 250 over an Explorer.

Wess

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Covering ground means a lot to me. The Explorer will get more depth than most any other detector out this is a fact also. But the recovery is slow and you have to hunt slow. I have many hours detecting with the Explorer and am very capable of making adjustments on it. At this site I am finding these relics I can promise you that I have went over some of these targets with the explorer and they did not ID as a good target on it. If they would have I would have dug them. The target ID on the explorer is also not very accurate the tones are usually but the ID is not. I will stick with the 250 here for now as it is still pulling good targets the Explorer and others have missed over the past 10 years. Even my favorite relic machine the Troy shadow X5 will have to set at home for now like them so much I brought two of them. Here are a few more relics the 250 sniffed out today

Attachments

• IMG_1633.JPG
    IMG_1633.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_1633.JPG
    IMG_1633.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 373

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
swingingmydfx said:
Wess here is a picture of the surf Exp. Max is the one who gave me the plans for this. It also has Grey Ghost Water proof head phones.

So is that hip mounted then??

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, in the end...if it is working for you, and you are happy with it....that's all that matters. Personally I wouldn't go about it the same...but hey, I'm not you, and it's not my site :)

I don't use the visual ID at all on the explorer. I hunt by sound only. I think guys who use the visual ID end up letting the machine make too many decisions for them.

Nice relics...and good luck at the site.

Wess

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Thanks Wess. The Explorer is a great machine and I will say if you hunt by the tones you have that baby figured out. I found the tones to be the way to go on the Explorer. Happy hunting and I will keep you guys up to date on the 250 and my thoughts on it. So far it has truly amazed me. If you can get one to play with give it a try. I got it for my wife to use some becase it had a ID and was light ( she likes to hunt the dry sand at the beach some times). I took it out to play with and can't seem to use anything else now. I still really do not belive it my self I own three detectors that retail for $1000 or up and I am out hunting with a $200 detector go figure.

Z

ZipDogg

Nothing like a good debate !!
Sounds like lots of people on TN loves the Ace 250.
I may buy one of those instead of the White's Prizm 3, both are $200 each.

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
I have to agree with bscofield on this one. I really believe your not listening to what the Explorer is telling you. I believe that you have a smaller coil on the 250. That doesn't make it a superior machine to the Minelab. Just means you can get around the trash easier. Quick solution, put a smaller coil on the Explorer. I truly believe apples and oranges with this debate.

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Doug you did not read, the Explorer I have has three coils I have hunted with all of them at this spot. Including a 4" excelerator coil. I could not believe the results I got either. I also have hunted this area with the T2 , Troy shadow X5 , whites DFX, Tesoro cortez, Whites Xlt , And several others. This spot has been hunted hard buy a lot of folks for at least 10 years. The little 250 is pulling targets many other hunters and machines have missed. I have no reason to tell you any thing but the truth on this. I could care less what machine you use. I have had or used one of about every thing at one time or another. If you have a site that you have done well on in the past and think it is almost hunted out like I did then give it a try with a 250 you may be surprised (hell borrow if you have to) but give it a try I did and I still can't believe it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread