OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry. I must not of asked my question correctly. Besides the traditional ways, what untraditional ways could I use to prospect for gold. And don't forget, if we all stuck with what worked in the past, our phones would still have dials.
Thanks for the feed back!
Wishbone

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sniping is an semi- unconventional type of prospecting. I used to head into a river with just a pair board shorts a set of goggles, a pick, a turkey baster and a pan.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Except for metal detectors and floating suction dredges, there is no new technology for prospecting. Prospecting is all about testing the ground for bits of gold. When you find gold you track it back to try to find it's lode source. I can't imagine any way to prospect that hasn't already been used.

If you are a multi-million dollar mining company then I'm sure there are some satellite images, lidar images and core drilling you can use to prospect. The rest of us are still using our rotary phones.

If you find some new method, be sure to let us know!

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
River reading. Not just where the river flows today but where she flowed thousands of years before. Up higher on the banks. In dry river debris fields away from the rivers edge. Up in river bedcliffsides. Just becareful.

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Golden Sluice. I am learning a lot about the high benches. Some of the best finds aren't even by the creek or river.
I'm also learning a lot about specific gravity, and water flow. I'm super excited!! I appreciate the feedback.
Wishbone

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Besides map and rod Dowsers (which I firmly believe in) what other ways of unconventional prospecting can I try? Any suggestions would help.
Wishbone

non-traditional treasure hunting methods? Hmm, have you considered bird-entrails? Some cultures believe they can be read (sort of like palm reading) to lead to treasures. Ok, now go do it. Afterall, you don't want to be close-minded, now do you? You say yourself:

And don't forget, if we all stuck with what worked in the past, our phones would still have dials.

Thus have an open mind, give it a try, and let us know how you do :)

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK, you usually get a different answer from me. It's kind of my hallmark, so here goes.
How about this method that I developed and used in the Chocolate Mt. area of Cal.
I go down the dry washes with a PI detector ( some think it can't be done ) and detect flour gold in patches under small ( coal size ) rocks. I pick up the rock carefully and wipe it off in a Ziplock bag. After a day of hunting, I wash the contents in my Gold Magic spiral. Hay, it's slow, maybe 1/4 oz a day, but it adds up.
Well, it requires a good PI detector ( I use a Surfmaster PI ) but it is different! Just my thought, Frank...

6 06-2 YELLOWSTONE 074-1.jpg

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually there is a video on youtube where a guy uses his metal detector to find an old coin under some cow poop. And I'm sure you could dowse your way through any poop. even little bitty bird poop (but not Superman's poop).
Wishbone

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody knows that Ouija boards are for channelers. And actually the lady who channeled the "entity" Seth, wrote (as I recall) 10 novels about her experience. Even she new that gold is where you find it. But all opinions are good, not always popular, but good.
Thanks for the feedback.
Wishbone

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirt in a box delivered to your doorstep is most unconventional.

I'm still trying to figure why a sluice needs a smaller sluice of its own.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread