OP
OP
F

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking a the hummimgbird side scanner. Thats pretty cool! It would cover alot of bottom on a lake and the deeper you go the small the shadows are between the object. That would be great for ponds or maybe rivers,but the farther you go down the harder it is to I.D anything. It would be cool to look into it. Like anything you need to get use to it. But it would be fun for a scuba diver in shallow water like 100 ft. and also great for fishing.They have one's like this that we had on our fishing boats with different colors. Thanks for the site.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i have the hummingbird 797 with side and down imaging and it works great in water up to 30', beyond that the bottom looks like crap cause the transducer cones out too much in deep water. the 1197 models are nicer cause they have the 10 inch screen (mine is 5 inch), but i'm sure they still suck once ya get in water deeper than 50'. the aqua views are decent and even in murky water you can see up too 2' in front of the camera (unless its really muddy)

OP
OP
F

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RW said:
I have a boat. I have a sonar I need to install. Maybe I will practice in the local lakes, looking for outboards that fell off, sunken jonboats, or whatever. A rare earth magnet on a rope can pick up a lot of weight underwater. Or a grappling hook. Been looking for a reason to make one of these or similar:

http://www.nventivity.com/ROVIAB.html
Maybe both. We would tow these grappling hooks and add chain up the line a ways. Maybe the magnet up the line instead of chain if its heavy enough. We would tow a little and stop,tow a little and stop. We would tow dredges for scallops which dig themselves into the bottom,like stuff thats been their for awhile. We made them extra heavy. They were harder to get into the boat,but what a difference in our catch. While scuba diveing you can see the tracks the dredges were making. The dredges were leaving diamond shapes on the bottom. The dredges were following in the same track. You will be surprised whats in lakes. In the old days they would cut ice off these ponds. We have a fish peir next to a 1/8 mile square watering hole. One year a horse and wagon fell in. The wagon is said to still be their. Theirs where history comes in of your town. You know more about your own area over the years than other places. I just watch looking for P.T. 109 which they found. Even look around ports of call and any islands. Nice sites of interest you have. You must make alot of stuff. My best friend is buying himself a tuna boat,which he will give it to his kid, later on. I think it's around a 42 footer. They go like 60 miles offshore for these tuna. He said he would work with me if he like the way things went. How big of a boat is yours?Boats are going for cheep ,now days. My mom has a i think 42 footer in naples fla that was used onced. Her new husband used it onced and hit a bridge and did a little damage. She said i could us it until she sells it. It's loaded with electronics. Why she bought a boat like that at 75,i dont know. Her husband ran two paddle boats in alaska. Anyway,thats here or their. Good luck

OP
OP
F

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dogpound said:
i have the hummingbird 797 with side and down imaging and it works great in water up to 30', beyond that the bottom looks like crap cause the transducer cones out too much in deep water. the 1197 models are nicer cause they have the 10 inch screen (mine is 5 inch), but i'm sure they still suck once ya get in water deeper than 50'. the aqua views are decent and even in murky water you can see up too 2' in front of the camera (unless its really muddy)
Thanks Thats good to know.Now see what just talking does. We got some nice information and web sites. I tried this sub idea b4 and my computer messed up. i didnt back it up and lost all my information. But i learned alot about grants,museum help and had alot of diving sites. These scuba divers were getting so much stuff. It would blow your mine. Most of this was in great shape. I had 50 sites. What i saw was beautiful. Theirs a boat here that's known about. It has like 3 flights of steps and is falling apart. Bot a marintime laywer- scuba shop owner,looked at the manafest. It's suppost to have 50 indian motorcycles packed in grease and in watertight containers. One guy put in whole in the side . But had problems getting in and the cargo hole had problems getting in their also. That was 15 years ago. Thats on a edge that goes from like 60 ft to 120 ft.deep.

OP
OP
F

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya, But i got talking to a guy in fla who's looking for wrecks. When i go down their. Were going to meet. I would rather be working down their, in the warmer weather than he by myself. I have another guy heading this way this summer also. He's looking for a lost sub. I have some wreck numbers which were going to cross reference. I started wanting a sub. Now maybe some doors have opened up for me. Im still working on the sub idea part time. Im looking into other ways that could help get it. Love you guys for all your ideas. The good ones bad ones. It's working together that can make things happen.

OP
OP
F

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dingdong said:
Good luck follow your heart u just might find it i think u can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You wrote me. I think you would like to get a sub also. Anyway I hooked up with someone. It's not a sub. But im happy doing what i really want now.

OP
OP
F

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
So, I am assuming you don't have to take a written test to operate a sub?
No. When you buy it. They show you the ropes. But im sure if you used it to take alot of people down everyday,than you might need some kind of rules of the road class. But if you bought one for yourself and a friend, Then no. But Theirs still alot to know. I was a fisherman for 25 years. You might want to know how to use the electronics, tides harzards, ect for yourself.I wouldnt just jump in to it after a class and go a mile offshore.Theirs still alot more to think about.

Bluegrassriver

Oct 18, 2008
Kentucky near the Ohio River!
Interesting topic but the premises is looking for shipwrecks with gold/silver. Of all the shipwrecks what proportion would have valuable cargo? It seems most ships in those days 99 % did not carry gold and silver. So pinpointing your search would be most important instead of just searching the sea floor indiscriminately. It's a big place!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread