Unexpected finds

killian110

Dec 16, 2007
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
I've been reading about the gold finds in and around California and the American River for years. Last week I finally got an opportunity to metal detect and do some panning near the Mineral Bar Campground area for an entire day. Being from western NC the sight of the huge boulders and the massive amounts of exposed bedrock along parts of the river was thrilling. Our bedrock is really deep and the likelihood of finding gold with a metal dector is not unheard of, but slim.

I expected that the area had already been hit pretty hard, but I got my Garret Infinium out anyway and walked the bedrock for a couple of hours or so, digging every hit. I dug nails, wire, a wheat penny, a few current pennies and dime. I was about to wrap things up and pull out my gold pan when I got one last hit. I was shocked when I pulled an 1862 British Half Cent out of a sand pocket in the bedrock.

While it wasn't the gold nugget I was hoping for it was an incredible find for me. It made me wonder about the person who possibly came to America from Great Britian in the later years of the gold rush era to make his fortune. As we all know, under most circumstances finding gold is not an easy task. In my mind, I imagine some fellow prospector on the edge of the river, hunched over his scarred metal pan, swirling the pebbles and blacks sands aside searching for gold. Under the heat of the sun, the sweat gathered at the brow of his old, worn miners hat trickles into his eyes, with one hand he absent-mindedly reaches into his pants pocket for a bandana to wipe his face. As the crumpled bandana unfolds from his pocket the half cent drops to the ground, undetected, as his focus on the potential for gold in the pan in his other hand has deafened and blinded him to all but the glitter of gold and the roar of the river.

I know that after all these years that half cent could have come from anywhere. But 100 plus years later, to stand on that riverback and have a connection and feeling of comradery with a complete stranger who as long since passed from this earth, it was my nugget. It was a priceless moment for me.

There is still no known cure for gold fever.

Attachments

• 1862 half cent NF American River Mineral Bar 05032014.jpg
    1862 half cent NF American River Mineral Bar 05032014.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 730
  • 1862 half.jpg
    1862 half.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 696
  • Mineral Bar gold 05032014.jpg
    Mineral Bar gold 05032014.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 705
Upvote 0

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Killian110... thanks for writing about your experience, and revealing your innermost thoughts and sentiments in that regard. An insightful reconstruction of past events I think, and overall a well-composed read that I enjoyed a good deal. Congratulations on your finds... the coins and even a nice bit of gold. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Snocrash

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
ON order Gold Bug Pro.. T-minus a few days
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wicked and made me think of that poor bloke who maybe or maybe didn't strike it rich!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out in whiskeytown I dredged up a piece of 8 and tiny bits of a gold chain. Put back was a common practice on all the forks of the yuba and americans,all rivers really. They perceived it as good luck to place a coin where the paystreak was found. 1 cent lousy--nickel a little better and on up the scale. I've found silver coins in a vertical cleft nicely put into the cracks from the 1800s. I still do it myself with modern coins. John

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey John, cool idea. I'll take up that practice too. Many times I've cached the empty casing of the round that took a buck where he fell. Just a little tribute.

Mike

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey John, cool idea. I'll take up that practice too. Many times I've cached the empty casing of the round that took a buck where he fell. Just a little tribute.

Mike
It's enjoyable to imagine what might have happened that ultimately caused us to find certain objects in the rivers, but I don't have time for it. I'm still trying to figure out a 1.5 oz nugget found in 1979, that had a square nail driven through the center of it. Do you think some miner might have tacked it up over his front door, for good luck?? (lol)

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's enjoyable to imagine what might have happened that ultimately caused us to find certain objects in the rivers, but I don't have time for it. I'm still trying to figure out a 1.5 oz nugget found in 1979, that had a square nail driven through the center of it. Do you think some miner might have tacked it up over his front door, for good luck?? (lol)

Could very well be EagleDown, because the square nail wasn't driven through it for no reason, and it certainly didn't drive itself through the nugget. But since someone did do it... we're sorta left to conclude that large nuggets must have been mighty plentiful back then. Or the fellow had a bit too much whiskey one night. :tongue3:

Jim.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could very well be EagleDown, because the square nail wasn't driven through it for no reason, and it certainly didn't drive itself through the nugget. But since someone did do it... we're sorta left to conclude that large nuggets must have been mighty plentiful back then. Or the fellow had a bit too much whiskey one night. :tongue3:

Jim.

I'll opt for the large, plentiful nuggets. According to the Yosemite Miwoks, they thought John Salvage was a crazy white-man for trading warm blankets and shirts for those worthless yellow stones. Let's face it; they were too soft for weapons and too heavy for jewelry, so what good were they?? (lol)

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really neat find EagleDown. Depending on the type of terrain you found it on, I'm imagining the prospector nailing it (and others) to the bottom of his wagon. How's that?

Do you happen to have a picture of it?

Thanks,
Mike

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really neat find EagleDown. Depending on the type of terrain you found it on, I'm imagining the prospector nailing it (and others) to the bottom of his wagon. How's that?

Do you happen to have a picture of it?

Thanks,
Mike
Halito Mike,
I guess that's as good of an explanation as any others I've heard. (lol) But, it was recovered while dredging in the Merced River. And with houses having been washed out of El Portal during the big flood of 1955, that's where my guesses tend to center.

Sorry, but I didn't even own a camera up until the late 1980s.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God, I wish you hadn't posted that picture!! It really brought back some memories. And, I don't know how many times I drove across that old bridge. (lol)

Actually, thanks for posting the picture. I enjoy the memories more that present reality. (lol)

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Who's the lad drinking out of the gold pan?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little brother being made sic by crazy older-meaner brother. I was teaching our brood how to pan and all they wanted to do was play. My Unc taught me and was showing folks too. General store has scales on the counter and trade for candy,ice cream,cokes,fishing gear. Still have gold nuggets from then in my sdbox hahaha I do coveth. Just watched old 50s slides from life on the merced soooooooo long ago. CDs and pics gone to Mariposa historical museum for preservation as even movies put on cds for all to see in the futureJohn

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like a perfect life. Thanks for sharing the pics and the memories.

jeffbealbrews

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2014
Somerset, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, Garret Pro Pointer, Keene 48" sluice, Bazooka Gold Trap Sniper 24" and Bazooka Gold Trap prospector 48"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Wife and I were there on 5-9-14 , My friends cabin is about 15 minutes away in Iowa Hill its a gold prospectors paradise, I hope to explore some of the old tailings take a look at the panorama I shot on my thread gold fever under general prospecting, Whats your take on metal detecting those old tailings with a detector and pro pointer?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course there is a cure for gold fever, be out on the river every day. Great find, neat possible history, keep on Tectin!.........63bkpkr

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On SF Yuba I discovered an 1850 dime in good condition in dredge box. Like John, no camera at that time. Worse, I hocked it for about $15.00 - what was
I thinking ? :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread