Unforgetable Penny Box (Updated)

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
I picked up two penny boxes on Friday to search and finished them up on Sunday. The first box I went through was incredible. It contained an insane amount of keeper coins. By keeper, I mean wheaties, coppers, or IH.

This is a contest with no prize but I would like to see if anyone can guess how many keepers I pulled from the entire $25 box. It was a Brinks box, unopened, and contained clear-wrapped pennies. Take some guesses and I'll let ya'll know the exact total of this unforgettable box.

Take your best shot.

Upvote 0

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Unforgetable Penny Box

222 Wheaties, 3 IH, and 62% copper! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

40 iHs 350 wheats 1000 copper

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other

0, it was a solid 2011 box.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other

3 IH's, 112 wheat's & 34% copper :dontknow:

Btw, $$ you changed your avatar and I didn't even recognize you at first - what happened to the colorful underwater surfer guy pic?

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SilverFace said:
3 IH's, 112 wheat's & 34% copper :dontknow:

Btw, $$ you changed your avatar and I didn't even recognize you at first - what happened to the colorful underwater surfer guy pic?

LOL, thanks for noticing me friend! :icon_thumright: I found that cartoon from 1912 about the Federal Reserve (Coming Money Trust) and how it is a vampire squid (octopus) over all of society! I am an End the Fed type guy so I thought it would be a good avatar to help others see the truth about our monetary system! The underwater surfer guy is a free avatar from treasurenet I have had for well over a year so I figured it was about time for an update! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

what were the results from the box!

OP
OP
Goldmanford

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina

Well, here are the results from this insane box.

0 - Nada - Skunk - Zilch

I hand searched the entire box and there were absolutely no copper pennies, no wheats, no Indians and only two Canadian Pennies both from 2000. And no, the box wasn't a solid 2011. In fact, it was an assortment of all different zinc dates and conditions. Some coins were pitted and damaged and some were bright and shiny but there were NO KEEPERS at all in that Brinks box.

I have usually averaged a little over 20% copper in all my penny boxes but this box was crazy. There must have been a huge amount of zinc pennies in the hopper when these were rolled.

I think I'll stay away from Brinks from that bank for awhile. >:(

I have been skunked on silver many times in halves, dimes, and nickels but never skunked completely on copper.

Other than solid boxes of new dates, has anyone else encountered this?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I search brinks cent boxes also and so far that's never happened to me. That's one of the things I like about searching cents - I can always find keepers and I never get skunked.

Hopefully you won't get another box like that one again.

Btw, how was the other cent box you got? I'm assuming you didn't have the same bad luck with that one at least.

HH

OP
OP
Goldmanford

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
SilverFace said:
Btw, how was the other cent box you got? I'm assuming you didn't have the same bad luck with that one at least.

HH

The other cent box had 3 Canadian coppers, 14 wheaties, and 697 coppers. That was a pretty decent box. Also, my dime box was a skunk but my nickel box had a 1935 Buffalo ender.

The other penny box was a String box from a different bank, too.

blessedpennies

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:dontknow: I have had a terrible experience with this. I got two brinks boxes and was opening them and wondering why I had not found any wheats. THEY WERE ALL ZINC. I got another brinks box yesterday and it had 8 coppers in it! I think this is surely a sign of the Apocalypse. Has this happened to anyone else? I am in NE if that has happened to you, where? Is brinks sorting out the copper? Does anyone know what the hell is going on with all this?

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
blessedpennies said:
:dontknow: I have had a terrible experience with this. I got two brinks boxes and was opening them and wondering why I had not found any wheats. THEY WERE ALL ZINC. I got another brinks box yesterday and it had 8 coppers in it! I think this is surely a sign of the Apocalypse. Has this happened to anyone else? I am in NE if that has happened to you, where? Is brinks sorting out the copper? Does anyone know what the hell is going on with all this?

Yes, brinks is sorting the copper now. they have an order for copper pennies at a higher profit, so they are doing that. There was a link to an article on a thread not long ago that talked about it. take a look back a few weeks and maybe you will find it. :-)

blessedpennies

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tard: god that is terrible! does any one have a link to this article I couldent find it clicking at random. How long untill the others follow suit. Should I just give the brinks boxes right back? I need a real source for the pennies in bulk 2-4 boxes at a branch is wearing thin. What's the solution?

JT10

Oct 29, 2010
The Mitten State
jrf30 said:
blessedpennies said:

Yes, brinks is sorting the copper now. they have an order for copper pennies at a higher profit, so they are doing that. There was a link to an article on a thread not long ago that talked about it. take a look back a few weeks and maybe you will find it. :-)

I am about 95% sure that jrf30 is pulling your chain. Every month or so someone posts that he/she heard a rumour that Brinks is culling silver - and yet people still keep finding silver in Brinks boxes. What probably happened is that someone with a Ryedale dumped $100+ in zinc cents at one time and they went into the hopper and gave you a pure zinc box. Just like if someone ever dumps $100 in copper cents at once, then someone somewhere will probably get a pure copper box.

blessedpennies

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i hope thats what happened. my wife says maybe those are the pennies you dumped. I went through two duds in a row. then yesterday I got another dud from a different bank. 3 bad brinks boxes in a row!! if i get any more bad brinks boxes i think its a trend. does anyone know how I can get the pennies in bulk?

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
blessedpennies said:
does anyone know how I can get the pennies in bulk?

Ask your supply bank if they will sell you the coins directly from the coin counting machine in loose/bag form rather than rolled. I've never cracked a roll of cents to search for Cu. You just pour the coins from the bag to the sorter's hopper, smooth.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you got a copper hoarders box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread