Unforgetable Penny Box (Updated)

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
I picked up two penny boxes on Friday to search and finished them up on Sunday. The first box I went through was incredible. It contained an insane amount of keeper coins. By keeper, I mean wheaties, coppers, or IH.

This is a contest with no prize but I would like to see if anyone can guess how many keepers I pulled from the entire $25 box. It was a Brinks box, unopened, and contained clear-wrapped pennies. Take some guesses and I'll let ya'll know the exact total of this unforgettable box.

Take your best shot.

Upvote 0
As a follow up to this - I do recall an article or something about a large copper cent order that may have surfaced around the time the dude bacame famous a few weeks back with his orange Home Depot buckets full of copper he kept in his shed. Not sure which post it would have been on here though.

My regular pick-up bank accidentally ordered $900 in cents instead of single bills recently and they want me to get them a few at a time but they are clear-wrapped Brinks and I was skeptical so I got only one box...the whole box again was ALL zinc except for one unexected copper - a 1919 wheat!

I told them I would take 2 boxes at a time to search through if they would give me the bag to put the cents back in and let me return them back there when I was done but I have yet to get a commitment on that. I imagine that ALL 36 boxes they have are probably void of copper! :-\

I got all loomis boxes yesterday and they have been fine so i havent run into anymore skunk boxes let me know if anymore turn up. PS why dont any of my banks have $900 estra pennies. Does anyone know how we can get $1000 in pennies like the banks do?

opened 4 boxes of brinks last night. 6lbs of cu total!!! one box had less than 50 copper cents and just one wheat cent. I started weighing them and they weigh just a few oz more than a mint box!! The 4 lomis boxes each weigh over 15 lbs and yielded over 27 lbs of copper and about a lb of wheat. These duds came from a third place so its not a bad branch. any ideas? I was talking to brinks a while back and they told me there was a guy in NY sorting over 5K a day of cents! maybe he has been dumping? or are we just seeing the beginning of the penny Apocalypse?

I remember the article about a very large copper culling operation and I believe it had to do with brinks and/or coinstar. Something about a private company paying a little extra for brinks to cull out copper so they can buy just copper cents at a bit of a premium. . .. Definately a sign of whats to come when we talk less and less copper, and more and more zinc cents. Just be glad you had this info and oppurtunity before they all dissappear. I am actually going to buy a ryedale, or some sort of copper cent culling machine and get my copper hoard on this coming year..... Hey Cards, do you want to enlighten me as to how much F.V. a literal ton of copper cents amounts too? -and if you happen to know yet, how much space is that going to take up? Say in number of 5-gallon buckets just so I have some perspective. I figure u must know this because of your 1 ton of copper goal and all, I think it is a great goal, and I think I will be borrowing it from you and making it one of my many goals for 2012 . If nothing else, its a great way to have some fun efficiently sorting cents and I will save more money at the same time...

Relax, if you don't want to waste time to search a box of zincolns. Just weigh the rolls first. I believe if it weighs around 125.0 to 126.4 grams, most likely a zincoln roll.

I had a Brinks box of clear wrap mostly 2011-D's zincolns yesterday. Weighed them and a few rolls had coppers in there. I don't bother going through to pick up a few coppers. Just gonna dump it for another box.

I think there's most likely some larger penny sorter in your area. Those guys do have to take a dump somewhere. LOL. You probably got the return of those dumps packaged by Brinks.

New here :hello2:

I have also noticed this recently. I got 15 boxes the other night and 3 of them, the smaller boxes with plastic wrapped coins inside were all zinc...including 1982 zinc pennies, so I know this is happening. So far, Loomis boxes are still good but the days of CRH seem to be numbered.

Enjoy while we can!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back