Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine sent me this to see if I could help. I can't, but maybe someone here can.
A lady she works with found this 40 years ago after a flood near McKean, PA (northwest corner of PA near Erie). She kept it because it was so unusual, but never had it looked at. It is some type of stone and about 5 inches in height and width. Could this be a gorget or a ceremonial axe?
Artifact.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen anything with that type of top or base, but it resembles an Ulu Blade used by people in Alaska or Canada.

As far as if it's authentic or not, that's a whole other discussion.

Last edited:

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a Spud which is a ritual Axe.

Last edited:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend of mine sent me this to see if I could help. I can't, but maybe someone here can.
A lady she works with found this 40 years ago after a flood near McKean, PA (northwest corner of PA near Erie). She kept it because it was so unusual, but never had it looked at. It is some type of stone and about 5 inches in height and width. Could this be a gorget or a ceremonial axe?
View attachment 1845739

Very interesting... By no means am I an expert or even an experienced amateur but I have never heard of anyone finding something like that in Ohio or Pennsylvania, I'm from the very tippety corner of NE Ohio. It's neat whatever it is. Can you tell what kind of rock it is made of?

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting... By no means am I an expert or even an experienced amateur but I have never heard of anyone finding something like that in Ohio or Pennsylvania, I'm from the very tippety corner of NE Ohio. It's neat whatever it is. Can you tell what kind of rock it is made of?
I hope to get a chance to see it in person and get a closer look at the material.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread