Uniform ID Help?

spudnutt

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across this Civil War tintype and I'm trying to find out more about the soldier.
I believe he is wearing an officer's coat? But I'm unsure if it's union or confederate.

Also, if its of any help, on the back of the tintype its etched saying M F Wheeler Eva's Father

I did some research on M F Wheeler but haven't been too successful with just the initials and there seems to have been a ton of Wheelers on both the confederate and Union side. Anyone have any ideas on how I can pinpoint who this soldier was?

Attachments

• tintype.JPG
    tintype.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 497
Upvote 0

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice acquisition you have there. A few times I have had a little luck in researching people using some of the websites that have old census records. Sometimes one can get lucky and actually find the living ancestors of the person. A couple of years ago I used Ancestry to find information on a picture I found in my grandmother's uncle's belongings that were given to me. Of course my example is almost 70 years after yours but it is interesting to do the research and learn "real" history.

Good luck in finding out more info. I know there are a lot of people on here that will be able to answer your question.

Attachments

• Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 337
  • Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 384

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert but my guess would be confederate. I think that the white crossed straps will have some kind of significance but I don't know what.Good luck.

ziebolaj

Jun 27, 2011
Minneapolis
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you could magnify those buttons, that would greatly help. To me it looks like some type of militia uniform, but can't be certain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions