Unique American Rev War era naval button. Comparable found!

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a one of a kind crudely-made naval button that likely dates to the Revolutionary War Period. Because there were no comparables to establish provenance, the button has remained in the 'oddities' box. Until now.

'My' button came from South Carolina. A comparable has been dug at Savannah Georgia at the site of a known Revolutionary War battle.

There is now cause to speculate whether this button might have been made by a sailor in the small South Carolina-Georgia Navy of the Revolutionary War Period, or perhaps by a privateer.
I doubt the buttons were widely issued, and these two examples might belong to a common set hand-fashioned by one man for his own use. Any thoughts?

My button is in extraordinary condition aside from the missing shank. Fortunately, the dug version shows enough detail to make a comparison between the two.

Example #1

STATISTICS:

Button type: flat disc (planchet)
Button shape: round
Button material: pewter
Button colour: dark silver to grey
Button eye: not applicable
Button shank style: Version 1) cone with wire eye 2) wire shank set into a boss (knob-like mass) of metal (*Pewter, perhaps with some silver alloyed)
Button back stamp: none
Decorative technique: crudely etched by hand with a sharp-ended tool
Decorative motif: Button 1) anchor surrounded by '13' notched (stars?)
Button shank condition: Boss partly intact, wire eye broken off on level with top of boss.
Dimensions: 20 mm. Roughly the size of a contemporary US Jefferson nickel.
Weight: .8 grams

Example #2 from Savannah Georgia. Owner's description:

"A thin flat button with incised anchor, some edge chips but minor. No shank. This unique button was excavated in Savannah, GA and has no similarities to British or French issues. The previous owner did extensive research on the possible origin of the button with a conclusion that it was locally made for either the small Georgia or South Carolina navies which both operated small fleets during the Revolution. No other example has surfaced thus there is no published documentation on this button."

BUTTON 1 OBVERSE

n-button1.jpg

BUTTON 1 REVERSE

n-button2.jpg

BUTTON 2 OBVERSE

navalbutton1842-historical shop.jpg

Kind regards,

JG

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite and unusual find. It will be good to hear some opinions about it here...!

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned one. It also came from the south. I'll have to ask who I gave mine to what he figured out on it, but last I heard he thought it was Spanish. I have seen at least two on Ebay in the last year. One I remember said they dug it in Florida. I think William Leigh may still have one. He had one at the Baltimore show in 2019.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: smokeythecat

I refuse to concede that his one is Spanish...lol

It's interesting and enlightening to know that you have seen other examples and once owned one.

My working hypotheses has been that these two buttons are part of a one of a kind set made by one person or 'for' one person for their own use. Perhaps a sailor or privateer.

The example labelled #2 was only recently acquired by the Delerys. Their button looks to be in a rather rough dug condition. Perhaps the one purported to be found in Florida? My button is in remarkably good condition as if it's never been in the ground. The pewter looks like it was poured yesterday. Only the reverse betrays it's age.

The difference between my button and theirs, is that mine seems to have '13' scratch marks encircling the anchor, and the other example has many more than '13'.

Troiani has offered to include it in the next update to his book. I'm tasked with taking a Hi Res photo against a 'smooth white background.'

I appreciate your participation in these discussions, because I am aware of your experience and expertise. As you once told me, "you have everything else out there."...lol

I have many mysteries in my collection. They attract me like a magnet. I will be posting another button. It's definitely Rev or pre Rev War and seems to be a British Regimental. I've not seen another example of it. The closest comp I've seen is a 44th Regiment of Foot Button.

Best regards,

JG

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I knew for sure. The backs have a more European look, but looks can be deceiving. I remember when no one had a 2nd South Carolina, the one with just a "2" on it. Then I was 20' from a guy who dug one! I did not get one, that was found northeast of Charleston, SC decades ago. Then someone found the one with "SC2" on it. The more detectorists out there, the more of everything hopefully will be found. ID is hard. I had a LD20, exactly like the one Troiani has in his book once. It was found south of Charleston. Same digger. A LONG time ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other

If I could see your collections, I'd probably have a heart attack...lol

Best regards,

JG

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have three marked Rev War buttons left, I've been getting rid of stuff for a long time now. Getting old...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: CASPER-2

Are you psychic? I've already heard from him and delivered Hi-Res images of the button as requested. Apparently, aside from my example and Example #2, there are several other examples of these buttons floating around. Most seem to come from between Monck's Corner SC and Savannah Georgia. For my own reference purposes, I have named them "Ghost Anchors" because the anchor is always incomplete.

I have more oddities like this. I hope Don can use them.

Best regards,

JG

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did notice the one had a lot more stars or whatever they are around it than the other. I don't know if it means anything or not.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other

My button has '13' scratch marks. I thought that was significant. However, it might have been a one off fancy of the maker (13 stars) or just coincidence. Perhaps the maker got tired of making scratches after the thirteenth.

If all the buttons, including the ones floating around in other private collections, did not come from one set, I think these buttons could be something special. Perhaps local state Navy. Example #1 and #2 were both found close to shore or a navigable river and on either side of the SC GA border.

Unless some documentation is uncovered, we'll probably never know their ultimate origin. It would be incredible if an association with the SC-GA Navy of the Revolutionary War period were ever proven. Did a crewman or officer of the The Defense, Prosper or Comet lose these buttons? They seem too primitive to be Civil War. Flat buttons made of Pewter.

The mystery of that cooper alloy '1' button was solved pretty quickly. I suspect these 'Ghost Anchor' Buttons will defy categorization for some time to come.

And I have more mysteries.

JG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread