Unison Battle Field finds 2 huge Artty ?? Plumb Bobs??

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
These are my finds from this mornings hunt...

The two plumbs and the carved sharps were found in the same hole.. Not exactly sure what they are.. fishing weights? I've seen where people have attributed them to cannon.. ?? No idea.. I also found 1 Indian Head... a buff nickle and a pretty good mid1970s pocket spill. Also dug some melted lead and some bullets.

MonkeyBoy

After 6 hours of metal detecting.. i got home and we went bottle digging... see the next post.

Attachments

• unison.jpg
    unison.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 530
  • leads.jpg
    leads.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 539
  • carved.jpg
    carved.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 528
  • rolledbullet.jpg
    rolledbullet.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 531
  • spill.jpg
    spill.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 525
  • ih.jpg
    ih.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 522
Upvote 0
OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
spartacus53 said:
Nice finds, but the lead does look like old fishing weights :dontknow:

They do to me too.. but the fact that the sharps was in the same hole.. weird. The were in a pile all together I dug them as one big signal.. I swearI read someplace that they used a sort of plumb bob when setting the trajectory of the cannons.. ?/

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: very nice finds

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The plumb bobs are cool finds, I have found a few here but hard to say if they are from a cannon aiming kit or a mason's tool box, LOL. HH, Mike

Championhilz

Greenie
Nov 7, 2004
From the look of the carving on some of your bullets, they and the "plumb bobs," may have been sinkers that the soldiers had made for fishing. They are common finds in Civil War camps, I have dug several myself. Were they found near a water source?

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Championhilz said:
From the look of the carving on some of your bullets, they and the "plumb bobs," may have been sinkers that the soldiers had made for fishing. They are common finds in Civil War camps, I have dug several myself. Were they found near a water source?

Completely agree.. yes they were found close to a small creek.. but almost as close to where some projectiles were found too. These are not carved like the "normal" fishing weights I have found made from bullets... but look like they were cast.. and a heck of a lot bigger then one or two bullets.. ?? Probably the work of a bored soldier!!

Mb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread