Unsearched? You tell me.

B

BIG61AL

Just found this older park. Four soccer Fields, two baseball diamonds, old trees, small tot lot, a long high sloped area the length of the fields perfect for sitting and watching the games. You would think this has been hard over the years but why did I find 11 old style pull tabs in just 2 1/2 hours? I go to 20 year old schools and parks and Nada, not a one. Did I really stumble across and old unsearched park? I sure hope so. What do you think?

Attachments

• pull tabs.jpg
    pull tabs.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,109
Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I think the old rule still applies... If your diggin pull tabs, your diggin gold.

But dang thats a frustrating picture to look at!  :-\

Truth is - Nuthing is ever "hunted out" 

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR
If there are that many old type pull tabs, there is bound to be a ring or two lurking in the ground.

Eddy

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
ummm whats the price of aluminum this week? lol

At least you got out some and helped keep our earth clean. :)

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Man....I agree with the gold/ring comments!!!

That being said, I pulled about 20 of those things out of a park the other day that jesus himself used to detect at LOL ;D ;D ;D
A lot of people wont dig pulltab/nickel/gold signals, so thats why you are still finding them in old parks. I was in a historic park the other day and pulled 3 clad coins and a million damn pull tabs. I knew this park had been hit a lot, but there is still good stuff there! I just have to run my coil over it ;D

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, it just takes a spot about as round as your finger to hide the nicest diamond ring you ever saw. Yeah buddy, there's got to be rings there. Good hunting!

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I feel your pain BIG61AL, I'm sure we all do, but one things for certain, you keep dig'n all them pull-tabs, your bound to hit a nice chunk of gold sooner, or later...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unsearched ? Can't say.

Not Searched Properly ?

Absolutely.

as others Suggested, If there are a lot of Can Tabs,
The gold has been Missed.

And so has the Nickels.

and I'd wager a Few Silver Coins
when Frustration set in

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
It was probably hit by the cherry pickers who don't dig pulltabs.
I'm guilty of that habit when I'm short on time.
Besides, what good is discrimination on a detector if you don't use it occasionally?

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do skip the pulltabs when I only have a little time or I've been out for awhile and I know I need to leave soon. I have to break my self of this bad habit. By the way I see all the pulltabs but were there any coins??

NJ

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II
I agree-there's good stuff in that there park!
I have a beach nearby with a park that I try to tell myself the same thing-always find tabs, hooks etc
I'm dang sure there's jewlery there!

Have fun,
Salvager

OP
OP
B

BIG61AL

coin count was 3 quarters, 2 dimes, 1 nickel, 18 cents and lots of erratic signals from the trash.

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
Unsearched or not, well I would use the quarters as a guide, if your getting alot of quarters one to four inches deep then the area is lightly hunted, when it's hunted they go away quickly. Then you have to out think the other hunters with your tactics.

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Nickles, pulltabs and gold all come in relatively the same area give or take. A lot of folks won't dig that area so I am guessing that it has been searched before. All the higher signals have been dug but just my guess based on what you found ;D

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If this is a place you plan on hunting often I would dig those erratic signals from the trash that you mentioned with your coin finds. Even if the area was 'hunted out' which no area ever is the trash maybe masking deeper and older coins. I have a park by my house that I did this with and on every trip I usually find at least one keeper. This park is the site I go to went I have less then an hour to hunt and it works out well for me.

One other tip is look around the park and see what areas would be the hardest to hunt and hit them. Steep hills or an area that has been over grown with brush (now is a perfect time for this because most of the undergrown is dead) because most likely if the other people that detected there were to lazy to dig up the old pull tabs they most likely stuck to the easier areas to hunt in. One thing that has work for me well is if there is a river in the park try to find out were old foot bridges were located. Most of the time over the years the location of these bridges change with the park so hit both river banks where they were previously located.

Good luck
NJ

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't dig that tone, vdi number or whatever indicator your detector gives for alum tabs.

Do the fun to dig stuff one day, and look for the gold rings and dig the tabs some other time.

I often split my searches down during an outing. Going for the deep stuff one time and so on.

Makes you feel like you're at a new place each time out.
HH
Ken

OP
OP
B

BIG61AL

Got zinced on my second hunt of this park....nothing but zinc cents and one sole dime and all these pull tabs....I think this park has been cherry picked. I'll try the soccer Fields and maybe I can dig up some jewelry.

Attachments

• pull tabs 2.jpg
    pull tabs 2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 519

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Yes!
If I find pulltabs then I consider the location unsearched. There's someone in my area that has gone over a few places. He/she left all the nickels
pennies and dimes behind with the pulltabs.

The best I can figure is this person has a machine that lumps pennies and dimes together with the same signal. Then the person races across the location
looking for quarters and silver tones.

The end result is they leave plenty of everything (including quarters and silver) behind.

I come along and dig it all. Then I dig it again. ;)

Ridley

C

Clam Digga

Don't give up on that field.... You know what they say.... 3rd time lucky.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread