Until the car went crazy it was great!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out today and found a couple yard sales rains in the forecast so I didn't expect much. First stop Was a pair of really nice Jordan shoes size 12's. I may wear them! The next stop I bought eight aluminum baseball bats into gloves for $15 they're still in the car and we will get to that in a min. And then the stop after that I spent a dollar on jewelry.

image-2617721435.jpg

image-2029056764.jpg

image-1798817882.jpg

The gold necklace is 3.5 g of 14 K. The necklace is Mark 585. The small sterling necklace with a horse pendant. And then sterling silver persona bracelet. The look to sell for $80 and up.

Next yard sale I go to I get out of the car and the door locks by itself and I had the window down. I try to start it up in the alarm goes off the battery was dead in the key and I ended up having to drive it with a car alarm going off. I have the flashers on to and drove it all the way home at 8:30 the morning with the horn blaring! That was super embarrassing. I decided not to go back out after that!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
What kind of car ? Do you know how to reset the alarm ? I did this stuff for 40 years and maybe can offer some help if it's still triggered. Oh yeah.. nice stuff too. I must be going to the wrong yard sales. Here in East Tennessee it's all baby toys and clothes. If they ever had any Gold or Silver jewelry it was cashed in a long time ago at the "Cash for Gold" place and the money spent on pills.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of car ? Do you know how to reset the alarm ? I did this stuff for 40 years and maybe can offer some help if it's still triggered. Oh yeah.. nice stuff too. I must be going to the wrong yard sales. Here in East Tennessee it's all baby toys and clothes. If they ever had any Gold or Silver jewelry it was cashed in a long time ago at the "Cash for Gold" place and the money spent on pills.

It was a 2008 Honda accord. Once I got the other set of keys the alarm went off but because the key was dead that I had I could not shut it off. I am also really surprised I was able to drive the car with the alarm going off. I felt like a fool but there's nothing I could do about it!!

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little off topic. Most factory car alarms just require you to unlock the drivers door from the outside with the key and it'll go off.
Good score on the gold, same as Tennessee around here clothes and junk, good stuffs been pawned or scrapped for heroin.

If only the junkies knew how valuable some of this stuff is.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little off topic. Most factory car alarms just require you to unlock the drivers door from the outside with the key and it'll go off.
Good score on the gold, same as Tennessee around here clothes and junk, good stuffs been pawned or scrapped for heroin.

If only the junkies knew how valuable some of this stuff is.

That would figure!!

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup was gonna say all you have to do with almost any factory alarm is unlock the drivers door with the key & it turns off... If you think for 1 second there isn't a simple over ride system in place you gotta be nuts. Imagine how many times batteries go dead in remotes or remotes getting broken! Cars would be driving all around with blinking lights & horns if those alarms didn't turn off without a remote... & BTW how does your door lock its self???? Your significant other might buy that story but I sure don't! lol. I also agree with bandit no one sells gold at garage sales around here & if they are they want more than it would ever be worth. You might stumble across some silver but it won't be cheap if you do!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a hint for getting jewelry at a sale. Whenever I walk up to one and they ask what am I looking for. I always say I'm not looking for anything for me but I have three daughters and they love costume jewelry. Now I do have three daughters and they like the jewelry but they would rather have candy. Sometimes I have my 2 yr old and they will say let me go get a bracelet for her. Come out with the whole box and I'm a shopping. I never say I'm looking for jewelry for me. It's always for my girls. (My wife has a nice collection too!)

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Here's a hint for getting jewelry at a sale. Whenever I walk up to one and they ask what am I looking for. I always say I'm not looking for anything for me but I have three daughters and they love costume jewelry. Now I do have three daughters and they like the jewelry but they would rather have candy. Sometimes I have my 2 yr old and they will say let me go get a bracelet for her. Come out with the whole box and I'm a shopping. I never say I'm looking for jewelry for me. It's always for my girls. (My wife has a nice collection too!)
What a rotten thing to do... I wonder if I can rent some kids somewhere. Mine are in their 30s.. lol

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My niece will hit me up every time she comes here asking too look through my stash! My sister loves finding jewelry all over the place at her house. She gets her own treasure hunt!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 3. You can borrow one! Or 3... If you need. The stinky diapers can ruin a trip real quick though... Just a heads up.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I can't wait for it to warm up enough for yard sales to start up here again. I've had 3 cars that the doors locked and unlocked by themselves. An older Ford Windstar and the 2 Dodge Grand Caravans that I now own. Sometimes it happens when they are setting in the driveway with no key in the ignition and sometimes when I'm driving on the road. It sounds strange to walk by a parked car and hear click-click, click-click, as the doors lock and unlock by themselves.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I can't wait for it to warm up enough for yard sales to start up here again. I've had 3 cars that the doors locked and unlocked by themselves. An older Ford Windstar and the 2 Dodge Grand Caravans that I now own. Sometimes it happens when they are setting in the driveway with no key in the ignition and sometimes when I'm driving on the road. It sounds strange to walk by a parked car and hear click-click, click-click, as the doors lock and unlock by themselves.

you sure it isn't other remotes that are on the same frequency causing some of this? RF signals can be funny & can come from many many sources including TV remotes, just take a garage opener with ya, drive around & push it in neighborhoods & a few doors will prolly open with your opener. No different with car remotes especially with real common vehicles not to mention radio controlled helicopters, planes & drones + 100's of other things that transmit/receive RF signals. The doors locking while driving should happen, that's common, a safety feature, my car locks the doors as soon as you hit the brakes once your in any gear & moving after you first get in it.

Last edited:

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some cars after you are out of them will auto lock the doors if you been away for as little as 3 minutes, or get a certain distance. I vaguely remembering seeing a post about that on a metal detecting forum recently that had that info in it.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you sure it isn't other remotes that are on the same frequency causing some of this? RF signals can be funny & can come from many many sources including TV remotes, just take a garage opener with ya, drive around & push it in neighborhoods & a few doors will prolly open with your opener. No different with car remotes especially with real common vehicles not to mention radio controlled helicopters, planes & drones + 100's of other things that transmit/receive RF signals. The doors locking while driving should happen, that's common, a safety feature, my car locks the doors as soon as you hit the brakes once your in any gear & moving after you first get in it.

Our nearest neighbor is almost 1/4 mile down the road and the locks do this wherever we are, not just at home. Yes our car doors lock when the car speed reaches 15 mph. but they shouldn't quickly lock and unlock 10 - 15 times in a row as we are driving down the road or when the car is parked and shut off with the key removed.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flinthunter--Sounds like your car is haunted.... lol That is strange!

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And nice finds Beachhunter! The bracelet wouldn't be marked Pandora or any of the beads would they?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread