Unusual Find under a porch

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend and I decided to try our luck today around an old home that was built in the 1700's. Apparently the yard had been hit hard in the past, so I decided to crawl under the front porch with my machine. As I was crawling along, I saw what looked like a document lying in the dirt next to the foundation. To my surprise, I found a diary from the year 1857 lying open in the dirt. It's torn, wet and dirty, but most of the pages are still readable. I couldn't believe that paper could survive that way. Needless to say, that was the find of the day!

Attachments

• Diary1.jpg
    Diary1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 212
  • diary2.jpg
    diary2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 220
  • diary3.jpg
    diary3.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 201
  • diary4.jpg
    diary4.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 226
  • diary5.jpg
    diary5.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 227
  • diary6.jpg
    diary6.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 23
OP
OP
Fullstock

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first post and and I'm not sure why the pictures are sideways, sorry about that!

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That is an amazing recover! Please show us more pics!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is totally cool. Might look into preserving it as soon as you can!

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is truly remarkable. Please show some more pictures. I would find a way to preserve it. It's going to fall apart when it dries out.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool find!

My pics do the same, I have to turn my I-pad on it's side then take the pics and they load up right on the posts. I'm e-challenged! :dontknow:

OP
OP
Fullstock

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few more pictures. I'm noticing that as it's drying out, it's becoming more brittle. I'm not sure how to preserve it other than to put it in a case. It's amazing that it's in the shape that it is.
diary7.jpg diary8.jpg diary9.jpg diary10.jpg diary11.jpg

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's interesting to get a glimpse into the every day realities of people living in earlier centuries . My Father has a very old journal
written in 1830 by his 3 or 4 X Great Grandfather . This journal is an account of the first 200 years of Dorchester ,Massachussets.
listing the names of residents going back to 1630 ! (almost right off the boat if you know what I mean ). I'd love to hear more
of what you glean from these venerable pages . Nice Save !

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were there any dirty little secrets or better yet the map to the family riches! lol
Very cool different find, congrats!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That book may reveal secrets about history we have yet to know about.
Maybe the last entry will provide a clue as to how/why the book ended up under the house.
So cool! If I found that I would be deciphering it for hours! The information is the treasure in this case! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Fullstock

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Underminer, I've spent the last several hours separating the pages that were stuck together and trying to read it, so great minds must think alike! Unfortunately there don't seem to be any great secrets to be found. It was apparently written by a man who worked with lumber and making furniture and other items. He went to church every Sunday and spoke about the weather almost daily. Just a normal man who lived a mundane life 158 years ago. Still, it's pretty cool to read about his life, and I would think that in his wildest imagination, he would never guess that his diary would be read and shown in this manner. I wonder if anyone will read what we're saying here 158 years from now. ;)

Mudwiggle

Greenie
Mar 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find there!

I'd be inclined to put it in a box, and wrap in plastic, then get it to a conservator or museum for preservation.
The clock will be ticking on this one once it starts to dry out.

If you don't want to take this route, photograph as much (high res) as you can to preserve the history in there...

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think your local historical society would be mighty interested in that book - Make copies and if your so inclined, either see what they will give you for it or donate it.
Just a suggestion...........

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dang I would give my ----- for that piece of history ,it is remarkable that it survived all these years to the elements.vanzutphen

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, there may be references to important historical events in there. That is very cool, id read every page and learn as much as I could!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Contact someone that can preserve old documents and books before it crumbles. Someone here might be able to give you some names. Fantastic find!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's one of the cooler saves in a longtime that have been posted up. The entries shed light on one persons life back then and in the pages one entry might reveal a little clue as attending a picnic, or a gathering at a certain place that is no longer an attraction. This is a window into the past and local historians would be drooling to read the pages as there's always something of interest, the weather, a storm, a gathering, or harvest. It's written proof that an event happened no matter how mundane it may read it's how history is preserved from the writings of the past, not from the memories as each time the story is passed on it gets changed a little to the point of things getting a little skewed. Like many have mentioned the first step is to stop the degradation of the paper, then there's time to look around for different options what to do. Once again congrats on the save.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread