Unusual Find under a porch

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend and I decided to try our luck today around an old home that was built in the 1700's. Apparently the yard had been hit hard in the past, so I decided to crawl under the front porch with my machine. As I was crawling along, I saw what looked like a document lying in the dirt next to the foundation. To my surprise, I found a diary from the year 1857 lying open in the dirt. It's torn, wet and dirty, but most of the pages are still readable. I couldn't believe that paper could survive that way. Needless to say, that was the find of the day!

Attachments

• Diary1.jpg
    Diary1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 212
  • diary2.jpg
    diary2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 220
  • diary3.jpg
    diary3.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 201
  • diary4.jpg
    diary4.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 226
  • diary5.jpg
    diary5.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 227
  • diary6.jpg
    diary6.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 23
OP
OP
Fullstock

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried my best to read as much of it as I can, but it's very hard to read because of the damage and the hand writing. There appears to be a name written on the front page, but it's too far gone to make out. I've been in touch with the owner of a local museum and I think I'll donate it to them, it should be saved because it's local history.

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old books were printed on acid free rag paper so they are much more durable than new paper. A newer book would have been dust.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one great find. Being able to tie it to an individual of that time is outstanding - even if you cant read it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread