Unusual Hammered SILVER coin, My First! ... ID help, please.

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
I am in Italy now, and after a week of learning my new Tesoro Vaquero, (still not there yet), and finding handful of whatsits, a few copper 19th century coins, a MARTINI VERMOUTH sign, and a good pocket knife, I finally got what I was looking for; an ancient coin. MY FIRST!!!! Stoked is not the word. Can Crusader remember that far back to his first of gazillions? ;)

It was one inch deep or less, and no more than three feet from the front of my house, under a rock.
I didn't want to hunt here as wifey would have some gnarly words about her lawn and garden getting messed up with my hobby. But, I was given a baby sitting job to watch the neighbor's dog for a few days, so as not to lose her (the dog, not the wife) in the woods, I detected around the house for practice.

I have no idea what era or origin it has. Roman? Medieval???. It is thin and 7/8" longest..Any help on IDing it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not even sure the term "hammered" applies, but that's what it looks like. It has some mythological looking animals, and an eagle on one side, and what looks like a woman standing with outreached arm on the other side, some letters around both side's edges.

First two pics are right out of the ground after a water rinse, the next three pics are after a few minute's cleaning.

Attachments

• Mvc-040f.jpg
    Mvc-040f.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 515
  • Mvc-042f.jpg
    Mvc-042f.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 517
  • Mvc-043f.jpg
    Mvc-043f.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 508
  • Mvc-045f.jpg
    Mvc-045f.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 513
  • Mvc-044f.jpg
    Mvc-044f.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 514
Upvote 0
OP
OP
goldnow

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
"But I've always made the point, that money is irrevant."

I understand your point of view, Crusader. But coming from an antique dealing family, value can not be discounted and is considered one aspect of the whole picture of any item. Rarity, demand, history, provenance, quality, condition, material, origin, artist, uniqueness, and a few other factors fill out the entire picture of the story of any piece. Value not the most important, but also not the least..... (Money is irrelevant when you don't need it, too.;))

A collector may not be as interested in the money/value aspect, as he/she would be interested in other factors, such as local history, that create their desire to collect any particular category.

Certainly, the banner above us displays not only beauty and rarity, but those beautiful rare things also have a value attached, and that is why they are up there in most cases.. Is a 1916-d dime more beautiful than a 1917-D dime?

I apologize if I gabbed too long, and happy that it's worth at least $5, and I consider this as part of my scoring of this hobby we love, as a good day or even a better day..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread