Upcoming Oak Island hunt troubles

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Chequered history of the would-be treasure hunter and why he had to walk the plank
By Echo Reporter
Comment

Cerris Francis with Paul Hallam earlier in the project.
ONE of the main men behind an ambitious plan to rescue millions of pounds worth of buried treasure has been convicted of fraud we can reveal.

Paul Hallam has now been cut adrift from the prestigious expedition, after he admitted faking qualifications to obtain more than ÂŁ150,000 in salary payments from education organisations.

The man behind the treasure hunt, Cerris Francis, who has spent 40 years researching the missing bounty, says he has severed all ties with Hallam.

The project, which is genuine and has the personal backing of Eastleigh's mayor, Councillor Roger Smith, is continuing without him.

Hallam, 56, who lives in Hamble and was declared bankrupt two years ago, is due back before a crown court in Shropshire to be sentenced on Tuesday.

He says he saw no conflict of interest between the court action and his becoming the business brains behind the expedition to find treasure, which is hidden on an island off the coast of Canada.

advertisement
Along with Mr Frances, Hallam had appealed for public help in raising the ÂŁ300,000 needed to finance the mission.

"I've nothing to hide," he told the Daily Echo.

"Yes, I was a fool some years ago. I put down that I was a company director when I was not.

"But there is not a conflict of interest because I've done this sort of thing before.

"I've been an open book all along."

Several years ago Hallam said he had headed a company that had helped to raise thousands of pounds to put computers into schools in Kenya.

He said that work, for which he says he received no money, gave him the experience needed to help with the business side of raising the cash necessary to make the project a reality.

He believes he still has plenty to offer the expedition.

"I would like to be involved with the project somewhere down the line, but that's up to Cerris," he said.

But clearly Mr Francis disagrees.

The man who has dedicated much of his life to researching the legends of notorious British pirates and their ill-gotten gains says he has already cut all ties with Hallam.

Mr Francis, 67, from Southampton, is still hopeful of securing the funding he needs to enable him to begin the expedition to Oak Island, off Nova Scotia, later this year.

"Hell would have to freeze over before I got involved with him again," said Mr Francis, "We cut our ties and I don't want to be associated with him at all.

"I just count myself lucky that we found out about him before we got into real business. It might have cost us two months, but otherwise we've not been damaged by him."

Cllr Smith has now been installed as the project's new patron, and says he is happy Hallam is no longer involved.

"I was personally very concerned about him, but I am friends with Mr Francis and I urged him to cut his ties," he said.

An antiques dealer, Cllr Smith is backing the campaign as a personal interest and is clear that his support is not in his role as the Mayor of Eastleigh.

Today

kenb

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Just a clarification. Mr. Francis is one of many people who have their own pet theories about Oak Island. He is not associated in any way with the current owners of the island.
Even if he raised the funds he says he needs, he'd still have to get approval from the owners to explore. Very few people have been able to do that.

OP
OP
kenb

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Heres another article on the future hunt.
Oak Island mystery still captivates
New partners hope to finally unlock 212-year-old treasure
By RENEE STEVENS | 4:41 AM
ADVERTISEMENT

OAK ISLAND — Danny Hennigar has been talking about Oak Island for 34 years, but this year as he tells people tales about its mysteries, there is a new sparkle in his eye. He feels answers may be closer than ever.

Hundreds of people followed Mr. Hennigar this weekend on walking tours of the Lunenburg County island as part of Discover Oak Island Days. The three-day event includes displays, lectures and activities that focus around one of the longest-running and most famous treasure hunts in history.

Mr. Hennigar said that as the communications director of the Oak Island Tourism Society, he was not at all surprised that many of the visitors were already aware that the hunt for the island’s elusive treasure is in the process of restarting.

"Everyone loves a good mystery and a whodunit and this certainly has it all and then some. It’s a fascinating story that spans 212 years so people keep up on what’s going on," he said.

"We get a lot of visitors from around the area, but we also get people from all over Canada, the U.S. and Europe too and some people tell me that they even plan their vacations around coming to visit the island."

Dan Blankenship and David Tobias worked together for years trying to solve the mysteries of the island and find the treasure. But then a bitter dispute between the two partners stalled their efforts. Last summer, Mr. Tobias decided to sell off his share of the land. Four Michigan businessmen, three of whom are brothers, bought out his half of the company.

They now own 23 lots, including the site of the infamous money pit. Mr. Blankenship still owns the other half of the company and will be working with the new partners. They have applied for a Nova Scotia treasure licence, but Mr. Hennigar said things won’t actually get moving until next year.

"The province won’t officially issue a new treasure hunting licence until 2008," he said. "So I think you’ll most likely see things start happening next June. That doesn’t mean that these guys are sitting back waiting, though. I understand that they are doing everything they can to start looking for treasure."

The businessmen are represented by Wayne Marryatt of the McInnes Cooper law firm in Halifax. He could not be reached for comment on their progress.

Mr. Hennigar said he is very excited about the prospects and thinks it would be great for Nova Scotia, but his society may have to come up with a new game plan if things are up and running by next summer.

"We are doing very well with this (Explore Oak Island Days) now. Every year it just keeps getting bigger and bigger and everyone especially loves the island tour," he said.

"Since (the island) has been closed to the public since 1995, people just jump at the chance to get out there. I’m actually kind of scared for next year because I think once things start up again, we could be so busy that we may not be able to handle it."

That is the kind of problem he says they look forward to facing, though, and if someone finally does solve the mystery, he’ll cross that bridge too when he comes to it.

"If the mystery is solved, positively it will be great for all those skeptics out there who didn’t believe, but if it’s not, then I am going to have to find a rock to crawl under because of the stories that I have been telling people for all these years."

( [email protected])

http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/852988.html

kenb

The-Hangman

May 11, 2005
Hangtown, California
I wouldn't put much weight in this. I am in contact with the new American investors as well as with Danny Heninger. Another "player" more recently who is looking to raise funds to find the Oak Island treasure is Keith Rainville. At last
I knew he was not allowed on Oak Island, and he is targeting a neighboring island as the actual cache site and cemetery of those laborers who constructed the Money Pit. I have been contacted and told that the RCMP has received complaints alleging possible fraud against Rainville, which may still be under investigation. The American investors and their Canadian partner will not allow anyone onto Oak Island to disturb the site.

Best wishes,
Anthony M. Belli

5443cole

The-Hangman said:
I wouldn't put much weight in this. I am in contact with the new American investors as well as with Danny Heninger. Another "player" more recently who is looking to raise funds to find the Oak Island treasure is Keith Rainville. At last
I knew he was not allowed on Oak Island, and he is targeting a neighboring island as the actual cache site and cemetery of those laborers who constructed the Money Pit. I have been contacted and told that the RCMP has received complaints alleging possible fraud against Rainville, which may still be under investigation. The American investors and their Canadian partner will not allow anyone onto Oak Island to disturb the site.

Best wishes,
Anthony M. Belli

I think this is fantastic news. The Explore Oak Island Days always draw the crowds, and shows that there is certainly tourist potential for Oak Island - I understand people even visit from the US and England. This would be great for the local economy.

I can't wait until 2008 to see where the new investors from Michigan are going to dig. I'm slightly concerned this may result in a real estate investment, but we'll just have to see.

I did a bit of goggling and found some pictures of the Explore Oak Island Days (it says new 2007 photos will be added shortly):
http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/content/view/44/64/

Also, here's a statement of the new investors intentions:
http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/content/view/36/49/

And I also read up on Keith Ranville, Oakster, Crusader - that's interesting he's being investingated for fraud. I'm sure no investor will touch him with a barge pole now. Have you ever met or been in touch with him Anthony?

The-Hangman

May 11, 2005
Hangtown, California
Howdy 5443cole,
Yes I have interviewed Keith and my story about his research appeared in Lost Treasure magazine some months ago. I think it is unfortunate that he has run into this whole fraud thing because he has a unique perspective being a Cree 1st Nations researcher. Second I did not get that vibe from him when we spoke on a number of occasions. The impression he left me with was that he was very committed to his research work and in his beliefs about the Oak Island treasure. There was even an attempt to have my story pulled from the magazine by his detractors in Canada. I defended my story by saying that it isn't important that he is correct or not, what counts is that he has done a lot of work, he has appeared on Canada media, and will likely go down as a footnote in the whole Oak Island saga one day. He has a right to be heard and have his story told, and thats what I did.

Because everyone believes the Oak Island treasure is buried on Oak Island, his claim that the treasure is on Birch Island and his attempt to raise money to do further research and later excavate on Birch Island has been perceived to be a con by some. I have copies of his research, cyphers, codes, etc. and have to say he has put a lot of work into his work. Personally he did not convince me that the cache is on Birch Island but thats not important. I wish him well and hope he can add something positive to the developing story! Unfortunately once Rainville became controversial his access to Oak and Birch Island became further limited. I'd like to see him have a shot at it, but both island are private property and under the control of others.

Oak Island days has grown into a fantastic annual event and it is good for Oak Island and Nova Scotia tourism dollars, more power to them. ;D

Happy Hunting!!!
Hangman

5443cole

The-Hangman said:
Howdy 5443cole,
Yes I have interviewed Keith and my story about his research appeared in Lost Treasure magazine some months ago. I think it is unfortunate that he has run into this whole fraud thing because he has a unique perspective being a Cree 1st Nations researcher. Second I did not get that vibe from him when we spoke on a number of occasions. The impression he left me with was that he was very committed to his research work and in his beliefs about the Oak Island treasure. There was even an attempt to have my story pulled from the magazine by his detractors in Canada. I defended my story by saying that it isn't important that he is correct or not, what counts is that he has done a lot of work, he has appeared on Canada media, and will likely go down as a footnote in the whole Oak Island saga one day. He has a right to be heard and have his story told, and that's what I did.

Despite this unique perspective, a simple time spent googling him, it would seem he changes his research as often as the weather, jumping from island to island, and altering his translations of the inscribed stone. I feel desperately sorry for those who have fallen victim to his sleazy smear campaigns. It must feel awful to have your name posted across the internet with all manner of ridiculous and horrible accusations. I understand that www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk are taking legal advice, given the disgusting remarks made about their website manager - and I'm not surprised. I would be outraged if those comments were made about me. For me, this makes him lose all credibility and come across as a nasty person. It's a dreadful way to conduct oneself.

Personally I don't put much weight on the inscribed stone, given the fact that the symbols were recalled from memory, and even in they were accurate, how do we know we are reading the stone the right way up?

Treasure or no treasure, Oak Island is a fascinating story and I'm so pleased it is regaining popularity.

Just my two cents!

5443cole

The-Hangman

May 11, 2005
Hangtown, California
5443cole,
I haven't spoke to or done anymore follow up on Rainville in maybe 8 months or so. We had a minor falling out back then regarding his use of my copyrighted work. I let it slide and decided it was the last time I'd interview him. So I don't know much of what has gone on since then but from your post it doesn't sound good. I don't hold grudges, nor do I feel as if I can't wish him well with his pursuit. But I won't have anymore to do with him either. I do get regular updates from Oak Island, via Danny Henninger and from time to time the American investors. What ever Keith has gotten himself into I don't know -- but I'd say his credibility re: anything to do with Oak Island his pretty well shot to hell. We each make our own beds and have to sleep in them and Keith is no exception.

Take care my friend,
Hangman 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread