Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Ever since I recovered this incredibly unique artifact about 10 days ago, I’ve expended a tremendous amount of time and effort contemplating the best methods for cleaning and preserving the hilt. As I posted earlier, my first inclination was to use electrolysis as I’m quite experienced using this technique and have had good success with it. Usually an iron artifact of this size will take at least several days to clean, sometimes much longer. But for some reason after just 18 hours in the tank the process had accelerated to the point that I was close to taking some of the base metal off. So I quickly had to shut that down, and look for a new approach that would be appropriate for this special find.

After spending hours on the web reading about various techniques and treatments, and corresponding with a number of knowledgeable folks, I finally decided to pursue the lye/zinc method which seems to be quite popular these days. However, my last discussion with a well-known relic hunter with 40+ years of experience cleaning a wide range of iron artifacts resulted in another change of direction. Since the hilt is made of wrought iron and has begun to split into its composite layers in some spots, I wouldn't be able to completely flush the lye out which could cause some issues down the road. And any further electrolysis was also out of the question so I was forced to follow a new strategy.

So after pulling it out from its temporary home in a bucket of rainwater, I carefully used a dental pic and dremel tool to remove as much of the remaining loose corrosion as possible without damaging the hilt. But due to its fragile nature I didn't make much progress with that. Then I immersed it in alcohol overnight to remove all the moisture, dried it with a soft cloth, followed by liberally spraying it with WD-40 to dissolve as much of the residual rust and orange haze as possible. Then after rubbing it in with a cloth and letting it air dry a bit, I started applying polyurethane and sprayed on 4 coats, and allowed a couple hours of drying between each. Might not be a perfect job, but this is about the best I can do under the circumstances of dealing with a very old and fragile artifact. I guess time will tell how good a job I did. Regardless, it will certainly take up a position of prominence in one of my display cases.

The series of pics below take it from immediately after recovery, to after an initial rinse, and finally after the 4 coats of polyurethane. And the last 2 pics are of a sword recovered at Jamestown a few years ago. Although not an exact match, mine is very similar and obviously from the same period. It’s interesting to note that in the Jamestown sword the blade tapers down before entering the hilt which explains why the rectangular slot in mine is smaller than might be expected.

Hopefully since this is an update of a recent recovery, the moderator allow this post to remain on this forum for a couple of days before moving it to the restoration forum.

Attachments

• 030815d.jpg
    030815d.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 150
  • 030815e.jpg
    030815e.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 030815h.jpg
    030815h.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 030815i.jpg
    030815i.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 153
  • hilt18.jpg
    hilt18.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 169
  • hilt19.jpg
    hilt19.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 163
  • hilt20.jpg
    hilt20.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 157
  • hilt21.jpg
    hilt21.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 155
  • hilt22.jpg
    hilt22.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 154
  • hilt23.jpg
    hilt23.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 164
  • jamestown hilt2.jpg
    jamestown hilt2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 176
  • jamestown hilt3.jpg
    jamestown hilt3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 181
Upvote 18

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply breathtaking! Congratulations! You have preserved a very rare piece of New World history!
I wonder how and why that sword ended up in the ground, maybe a duel? A great fantasy to imagine anyway.
:treasurechest::thumbsup:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Incredible restoration there Bill. Looks solid and well preserved for generations to come. A really unique and historical find, cant wait to see it next week.
_Evan

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing you could preserve it that well, nice job!

You had no trouble with the poly spray over the dried WD 40. That's good to know.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That thing looks great Bill. An absolute dream find. I am glad you, someone who has such passion for local colonial history, were able to find and and give it a home.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Bill on a your unbelievable find. This is one that you will treasure for ever. Two things that came to mind when reading your post: did you consider baking the hilt in the oven for 30 minutes to ensure there is no remaining water trapped that could continue to rust? And I didn't know polyurethane would stick to WD40 but they are both petroleum based so I guess so.

Again, contratulation!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great work Bill, it sure has been a learning lesson on this find. Great results from all time spent on it, and you've given it a new life. Display it proudly.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Bill on a your unbelievable find. This is one that you will treasure for ever. Two things that came to mind when reading your post: did you consider baking the hilt in the oven for 30 minutes to ensure there is no remaining water trapped that could continue to rust? And I didn't know polyurethane would stick to WD40 but they are both petroleum based so I guess so.

Again, contratulation!

Thanks Ken. I usually soak iron artifacts in alcohol before using the polyurethane as it draws out the moisture. I prefer to not subject a fragile item like the hilt to a big swing in temperatures as you never know what might happen. And I've been using the WD-40 in combination with polyurethane for quite some time with excellent results, and hopefully no issues will develop in the long-term.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One hell of a mantle piece. well done.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stunning!, that's all I got, simply stunning

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find and great job preserving such a cool piece of history. Well done Bill!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well done bill.You where keeping a eye on that one:laughing7:Turned out nice.I am still kind of amazed of how you dug that piece without breaking it.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did a great job on it Bill. Maybe you can take a picture of it in your display case and share.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
well done bill.You where keeping a eye on that one:laughing7:Turned out nice.I am still kind of amazed of how you dug that piece without breaking it.

I'm amazed too as I was pushing pretty hard on the shovel to pry what I thought was a piece of junk out of the ground. Fortunately it survived relatively unscathed.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You did a great job on it Bill. Maybe you can take a picture of it in your display case and share.

Joey - I'm thinking about getting a case just for the hilt ....lol! Actually, I'll be looking at them tomorrow when I'm in town. But then I have the problem of where to put it.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll probably never, ever say this again - but I'm sure glad YOU found that, and not me. I would have been beating on it with my shovel as soon as it was out of the ground to get the dirt off and see what it was. Then it would have crumbled . . . at some point I would have realized . . . and there's a recipe for lifetime guilt, remorse and regret. So - DANG that's a terrific find!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll probably never, ever say this again - but I'm sure glad YOU found that, and not me. I would have been beating on it with my shovel as soon as it was out of the ground to get the dirt off and see what it was. Then it would have crumbled . . . at some point I would have realized . . . and there's a recipe for lifetime guilt, remorse and regret. So - DANG that's a terrific find!

Believe me, I came close to doing the same thing, and would then have to go through the embarrassment of explaining my actions to everyone here. That would not be fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread