Update (found a couple - pic): Question that only a CRHer ...

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Gents,

I need lots of uncirculated currency for resale, and I'm especially interested in the star notes (who isn't right). Well, I can't seem to get my banks (I'm working with three) to cooperate. I'm tempted to bring them breakfast or something to soften them up.

Is there a rule against them holding certain bills and calling me to come get them? Or, do they just not want to help me out? A friend of mine's wife is a manager at one bank and I'm thinking of meeting with her and asking for help.

Any advice on breaking into the inner circle is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Upvote 0

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
Re: Question that only a CRHer may be able to answer..

They just don't want to bother with it. Do you only want uncirculated.

Good luck
Cat

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax

I'll take any star notes of course but I need a steady supply of uncirculated sequential notes. Folks buy and hold these uncir consecutives in hopes they will appreicate of just because they enjoy collecting them.

Any way to sweeten it up to where they do want to fool with it? I would pay a premium or something but no one seems interested.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JasonB said:
I'll take any star notes of course but I need a steady supply of uncirculated sequential notes.

I'm not really sure anyone can get a steady supply of them. Its not like the star notes are printed and sent to certain banks at regular intervals.

seattleMD

Dec 31, 2007

All banks get new sequential uncirculated notes every now and then - some obviously more often than others (probably merchant banks). I recommend setting up a savings account with them (so that they can make money off you), explaining what your doing, and just being friendly.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA

I would add that "you" are the collector- leave off the bit about resale. HH Mark

XX

Jan 11, 2008

There are two ordering periods right before Christmas where banks can order brand new bills (referred to as holiday cash) without incurring a surcharge. Outside of those two ordering periods, the Federal Reserve charges a surcharge for specifically requesting brand new bills. I don't know the amount of the fee, but I imagine it's on the order of $5 to $10 per bundle (similar to the cross shipping fee).

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

seattleMD said:
All banks get new sequential uncirculated notes every now and then - some obviously more often than others (probably merchant banks). I recommend setting up a savings account with them (so that they can make money off you), explaining what your doing, and just being friendly.

They make money on you as long as you have *any* money in *any* account in their bank.

As for finding notes in sequence, just go to every bank and start asking. I've gotten lots of them in the past without asking for them. Most bank tellers I've come across don't enjoy counting them because they stick together so easily, so I would assume that they would be glad to sell you them as they are.

As for finding star notes. Just buy lots of currency at one branch, search it, and deposit it at another branch. I've done this in the past and found lots of star notes without going through a whole lot of currency.

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax

That's all good advice. I'm a 'collector' (which I am) and I'm a nice guy so treat me nicely. Also the advice to take lots of cash (volume) and just dump what isn't useful at one of my other banks.

If I pulled a thousand or so daily I should be able to come across some interesting notes.

I'll post any really good ones I find in the currency section. I wish that forum had the activity this one does. Maybe I'll work on some postings there and try to create some interest.

Thanks all,
Jason

pizzaman55792

Jun 16, 2006
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer 202, ace 250

dang why couldn't you post this yesterday i just released $50 in sequential star notes back into the wild because i basically lost money on 2 eBay auctions.
jay

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax

I think I'm going to be ill :)

Hey think of me next time. Those are way too rare to be catchin' and releasin'.

Jason

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Re: Question that only a CRHer may be able to answer.. (update w/ pic)

Your advice paid off - found three star notes today.

Attachments

• 3 stars.jpg
    3 stars.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 287
  • 3 stars.jpg
    3 stars.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 288

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those look to be in better condition that I ever found.

What I used to do is cash my $2,000 in halves at one bank and ask for bundles of small bills and search them on my way to another bank where I cashed them in for $2,000 more in halves. I didn't do this very often, but whenever I did I always had luck finding a couple of star notes. Even the occasional $100 star note, which sadly I always released back into circulation because there was nothing I could really do with it.

Another tip is to ask the tellers to save any old money that is going to be destroyed. Whenever old bills come in they save them and ship them back to the fed to be destroyed. Some tellers will save them for you if they like you.

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax

I did something similar, went to the ATM got $300 in $20s, took that to the bank and bought $1's and $5's. The more you see the better. And, if you hit a batch of consecutive star notes at the ATM, take out the max you can so you get all of 'em.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I only know coins. What is so special about star notes?

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax

When the Fed makes a mistake printing a bill, they reprint it with the same serial number (all SNs have to be used). The reprints have a star instead of a letter. Bottom line is they're not common which makes them collectable and valuable. If have consecutive numbers, or a low serial, high serial ect it makes them more rare.

Folks seem to love them. Keep a look in your change you'll likely find one.

Hey, it's another form of treasure, gotta always be looking!

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
what is the difference in a star note and a regular note besides the star whats so special about them

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fatsmahoney said:
what is the difference in a star note and a regular note besides the star whats so special about them

As far as I know, no difference but the star.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fatsmahoney said:

Star notes are replacement notes. Basically when they discover an error they destroy the error note and reprint a note (star note) in its place. The biggest difference is that they have a lower number printed or in other words are rarer.

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Star notes make up for approx. 1% of the currency , as stated by some other folks they are replacement notes and collectible ... btw Jason those are some nice looking notes that you found , congrats Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions