update..i found small piles of rocks that lead to a large one, should i.........

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
a few weeks ago i was walkin around in the boonies looking for bottles. i came across 2 small piles of stones. i thought to myself that someone marked something for some reason but didnt give it any thought. and a while later a came across some more little piles of rock. now im thinking WTF?? i so i started to look around me and from where i was standing i see another pile. i walk tothat one and spot another. well this goes on for about 3/4 of a mile. then i see it a pile of rocks about 2 feet tall. i get ready to start digging with my trusty leshce shovel and i look at the time, i gotta haul butt back to my car n get home to get ready for work. now im thinking should i find the spot again and dig? im kinda worried a might unbury someones pet. but why would they go to such extreme to take it so far in the boonies??? the closest house is about 2 miles from the spot. ill take my md if i go back, but then again im thinking what if some sicko booby trapped it???honestly, should i go back??? i may go tomorrow, but i dunno. i have been thinking of it every day....what could be under there, obliously its something..... even if my md does not go off, could there be cash??? what would u all do??? what ever it is i give my word ill follow up in this post, or delete my account and enjoy my riches some where;)
chong

Upvote 0

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Re: i found small piles of rocks that lead to a large one, should i.........

Most certainly go back ! But make sure if its someone's private property you ask permisson to dig first. Bring a buddy along in case some one did set some traps that way they can help or call for help.

J Dubs

Aug 12, 2006
IOWA

Very interesting. Definately go back, just to get a better look at it, also take the MD. Then decide if you should dig. If the closest house is 2 miles I don't think its a pet or anything to do with the closest house. My vote is go back and dig!
J Dubs

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

only friends i trust are hours away tho, i have thought of that

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

chong2mry said:
only friends i trust are hours away tho, i have thought of that

Well make sure you have a cell phone very close at hand at all times

J Dubs

Aug 12, 2006
IOWA

I think you can go alone, take your cell phone and I doubt anyone would set up all of those rock just to booby trap it. Is it in an area that sees a lot of people, like by a park or something or could it have been there for decades?

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI

Hi Sounds like an interesting find, My thoughts would be to get a map of the area and mark the location of the piles of stones and also the large pile. Have you had a good look around the area of the large stone pile, are their any more? Not to sure wether you will find something but certainly worth the investigation. Could also be another marker for something around that area. What history is in the area? Love the suspense though and best of luck

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

k, well i called up a buddy just now. we are going tomorrow for sure, no i didnt have time to look around more, and yes i thought i just might be a marker for something else. the area dates back to the spanairds exploring, lots of stories in this area. im sure the markers have not been there for decadesbeing that they are still clumped closely together. so im thinking someone maybe someone found something and hid it or someone straight up stashed something.i kinda want to go out there right now. and no there are no people in the area.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

no offense im kinda getting paranoid now, again no offense, but all of a sudden a person that has never made a post before desides to post on my post, a tender foot, again just paranoia

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006

I would definitely go back and take a look at it first and once I was satisifed that I wasn't distrubing any type of burial area I would definitely dig the area. Like the others said it would be a good idea to take your cell phone and also test it in the area as your walking to see if you can get a signal. I was deep in the woods and my phone kept dropping the call and the reception was poor. Good luck and I hope you find something interesting!

Better yet you are taking a friend,that way you can both carry the treasure out. ;)

J Dubs

Aug 12, 2006
IOWA

Dude, his first post has got to be on someone's. He's probably new like me, trying to get the his number of posts up. And if its me your talking about, no need to get paranoid, I'm not gunna to anything to you.... I see what your holding in your picture. :)

C

Charles Miller

We used to build rockpiles as landmarks on long hikes, usually to indicate which fork to take. But those were few and far between, not within sight of each other over as little as 3/4 of a mile. Was there any evidence of plants growing between the stones? This could be a good indication of how long the rock piles have been there. If it was me, I would dig at every rock pile, and record each location on my GPS.

Could be somebody's geo-cache, who knows? Or, just maybe, because it's such an obvious trail, just maybe it's a decoy trail to steer you away from something less obvious. Search the whole area, cover a square mile with the rock piles in the center. And take a treasure sack (or empty backpack) with you, in case you hit the jackpot. LOL

:o

D

Diggerbryan

I hope you don't mind me replying to your post b/c I'm a newb, but could it possibly be field stone? Many farmers would take these rocks out of the fields and stack them someplace out of the way to keep them from damaging their farming equipment. Just a thought.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You're freaking me out with this talk of boobytraps. Then again you may have a point. I would first search near the piles (but not mess with the piles themselves) with a detector to see what kind of metal objects are there so you can get a feel for the time periods the area was used. Maybe that sounds tedious, but that's what I'd do. Basically it also can't hurt to do excessive research on the area before you do anything directly to it or in it, but keep your inquiries low-key until you get some clues.

If you don't think there are any, uh, special crops growing nearby that someone would want to boobytrap, then that's probably not what it's for. Any kind of neatly arranged rock piles that led to those special crops would be stupid anyway, because if it attracted you, it could attract the law. I would guess the growers of these specialty crops are pretty wary and tend to think of this kind of stuff.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

no no i dont mind at all of newbies posting, im just sometimes worried, i got paranoid a few years ago, notice my user name;) as for the pic, i wont be toting a rifle with me, just a casuall;) more compact. not field stones, for sure, believe me, its very obious that these were placed here. it was for sure a trail. there were no plants growing between the rocks i can remember. if they were geo cashing why have so many rock piles, within eye didtance, afterall they use gps dont they, and yes my gps is comming along.ill take pics if or if not something is found. and this is NOT going to be one of those posts that people just post to get something goin. it will be resolved tomorrw. md's in one hand and shovel in the other;)

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

see thats my point, why would someone make it obious to get there????

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505

I have done that before to throw people off of where the "GOOD" stuff was really at. Just a thought...

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI

I am picking that the newbie you are talking about is me. Well you gotta start somewhere and I thought your interesting post would be a good start. What is in the ground is in the ground. dont think any newbie is going to jinx that. Good luck

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

thank you sasnz, and lemme be the firdt to welcome you to treaurenet ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread