update Is this real gold yes it was!

airbrush

Greenie
May 5, 2010
I went metal detecting this morning and detected this cross it said it was a nickle it has 19 diamond looking stones in it and it looks like gold it was like 4" in the ground,it is heavy but i dont c no markings on it like a rings Karts. How do I tell if its reel gold. I put this quarter next to it to tell how big it is.

Attachments

• IMGP1625.jpg
    IMGP1625.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 2,427
Upvote 0

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Is this real gold

ivan salis said:
open backed is often real stones
Agreed but by daughter has many costume pieces left to her by my mother and most of those stones are open back.
I am going to have to re-visit those pieces.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

gopher de gold --- some of that "gaudy" costume jewelry might not be "costume" after all check it very closely

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II

Most definite Diamonds and gold They rarely use cz w/ gold . plus the piece looks to old to be cz nice find. :coffee2: rob

OP
OP
A

airbrush

Greenie
May 5, 2010

Well i got the results from the jeweler today. It was 10K GOLD ! I sold it for $480 I was well pleased. I found the cross with my new Whites prizm G5 one week to the day I got it,it paid for it's self with that one find. All I can say is that Whites did it again.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

airbrush said:
Well i got the results from the jeweler today. It was 10K GOLD ! I sold it for $480 I was well pleased. I found the cross with my new Whites prizm G5 one week to the day I got it,it paid for it's self with that one find. All I can say is that Whites did it again.
you shouldn't have sold it so quick..if diamonds were real you probly would have been well over 1000.00

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
what was the weight in grams ? 480 seems a bit low for such a fine item --it looked custom made --most custom items are 14 to 18 k normally -- did he check it with 10 k acid only or did he also check it with 14 and 18 k as well --higher k gold will of course pass the 10 k test --but lower grade will not pass the 14 /18 testing -- if he only did one acid test he might have done the minimum 10k grade test and said --yep it pass's for 10k (and he pays you for 10 k (41.6%) gold by weight) --when its actually 14 (58.3 %) or 18 (75%) (thus much higher % of gold content & more valuible)

if spot price paid 10 k at say 1224 .70 per oz pure gold -- at $480 is .39 of a oz of pure gold (so the item had to be close to 1 troy oz in weight)

--the item if it weighted 1 troy oz at 41.6 % purity (10 k)-- $509 .47
58.3 (14k)-- $714.00
75 (18k) --$918.52

note the $200 to $400 differance in value

capri_auto

Apr 6, 2010
ivan salis said:
what was the weight in grams ? 480 seems a bit low for such a fine item --it looked custom made --most custom items are 14 to 18 k normally -- did he check it with 10 k acid only or did he also check it with 14 and 18 k as well --higher k gold will of course pass the 10 k test --but lower grade will not pass the 14 /18 testing -- if he only did one acid test he might have done the minimum 10k grade test and said --yep it pass's for 10k (and he pays you for 10 k (41.6%) gold by weight) --when its actually 14 (58.3 %) or 18 (75%) (thus much higher % of gold content & more valuible)

if spot price paid 10 k at say 1224 .70 per oz pure gold -- at $480 is .39 of a oz of pure gold (so the item had to be close to 1 troy oz in weight)

--the item if it weighted 1 troy oz at 41.6 % purity (10 k)-- $509 .47
58.3 (14k)-- $714.00
75 (18k) --$918.52

note the $200 to $400 differance in value

Yea and the diamonds were prob real too lol... that jeweler got you good.

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have to say that jewelers are out there to make money also, so the jewelers did not "get him good"
he had an option not to sell it, it was easy money and he has nothing in it so if my calculations are correct he made $480 for 5 min of work and no taxes were taken out GO DO IT AGAIN.

yes i am a jeweler

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find Airbrush. That is a great find and early in your career to boot. You will never forget finding this piece. Remember the thrill when things slow down and all you seem to be finding is junk. I guess you need to raise the bar now, paid for one detector, time to add another. Lol.

HH
Don

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
480 dollars is not bad considerinmg what you had before you found the cross .5 min swinging a detector 480 in hand . Do not let these arm chair Quarter backs tell you how much you got ripped off. A bird in the hand I would have sold it too. nice Rob :coffee2:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes religion pays :icon_thumleft: great find a few bucks in the till !! Good hunt Dd60

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
if it was really 10 k and the weight was about a troy oz -- the "scrap" melt value differance was only about $30 and the diamonds was a freebie cost of doing bussiness "giveaway" -- no one really buys "small" stones --they buy the gold --normally at or a little bit below spot price. that is the nature of the biz folks, --still no one can knock the fact that your one find make your detector basically "free" -- because hey $480 is $480 --and since it your stuff that you found --you get to decide what to do with it -- just a word to the wise --some jewelry dealers are not as straight up as they should be --and pawn shops by and large are out right crooks for the most part as far as what they will offer you for gold items .

great find -- by the way

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a ring to a jeweler to be checked... He used ONE bottle and told me "it's not gold".... I then ordered a testing kit for myself and then tested 14k... Nope... Tested 10k... Yep...
I, of course, will never use that jeweler again... When he tested it, I had no idea there were different bottles for different karat percentages...
You need to take some of that $480 and buy a testing kit...

Beautiful find btw...

Kanyontreasures

Jan 13, 2010
idaho
Detector(s) used
whites prizm 3, whites bullseye ii
id say u did good, but i would have got the penny weight and called around u possibly could have got more but it dont realy matter u made a good lot of money!!! and payed for ur mtd so id say u did good!!!! id say u should right up a good story and u might get on banner!!! good job!! congrats!!!

hh kayon

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
there are differant strenghts of acid for differant levels of of gold purity --the lowest is for 10 kt gold -- of course higher karat gold ( 14 or 18 k ) will not be affected by the lower strength 10 k test acid -- however 10 k will not pass the higher level test acids 14 and 18 k level --

many pawn shops are trickey * --- they use only the 10 k test acid --to be sure their getting gold * not plated items -- once they know it for sure its 10 k at least --they say yep --its 10k and pay the person at that level of gold content by weight -- after the person leaves --- they check to see if the gold is in fact a higher level of gold purity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread