update Is this real gold yes it was!

airbrush

Greenie
May 5, 2010
I went metal detecting this morning and detected this cross it said it was a nickle it has 19 diamond looking stones in it and it looks like gold it was like 4" in the ground,it is heavy but i dont c no markings on it like a rings Karts. How do I tell if its reel gold. I put this quarter next to it to tell how big it is.

Attachments

• IMGP1625.jpg
    IMGP1625.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 2,427
Upvote 0

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kanyontreasures said:
id say u did good, but i would have got the penny weight and called around u possibly could have got more but it dont realy matter u made a good lot of money!!! and payed for ur mtd so id say u did good!!!! id say u should right up a good story and u might get on banner!!! good job!! congrats!!!

hh kayon
I thought about voting it for banner, but he doesnt have enough posts' yet.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh, :laughing7:

You may have got him good... 10k Gold or lower most commonly has CZ stones in it. :icon_thumleft: :laughing9: So if its only 10k he has about $400 in gold. If it was a higher Karat and has real stone I'd appraise it with that many stones at $1500 for the stones alone. You should have been offered half of that at least at $750 but $480 is not so bad but... Always take your jewelry to more than one place a 2nd opinion and even a half a tank of gas to drive to another shop is worth the $200- $300 difference. :hello:

Good find, easy money !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Keep @ It and HH !! ;D :D

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
Re: Is this real gold

airbrush said:
Well i got the results from the jeweler today. It was 10K GOLD ! I sold it for $480 I was well pleased. I found the cross with my new Whites prizm G5 one week to the day I got it,it paid for it's self with that one find. All I can say is that Whites did it again.

As long as you are pleased, that is all that matters. For next time, take it to a few places and keep a calculator with you. How much did it weigh? Did they check it for 14K or 18K purity? I won't beat the dead horse, but there are different acid tests for different purity of gold. They start at the "bottom" 10K and work their way up until the item doesn't pass the test. If he tested at 10K and said "yep it's 10K gold" and didn't test it further, they MOST CERTAINLY are unscrupulous at best. If the item would have tested at 18K (and that's not a stretch, considering their width/thickness of the joints and clasp) - you might have sold him $900 worth of gold for $480, and gave him the diamonds for FREE.

Greg

Jaygee Western MA

May 2, 2009
Detector(s) used
XTERRA 50
jewelers don't pay market price, you have to send it to the refinery to get 95% would have checked out the stones

Wayupnorth66

Mar 26, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
good thing you sold it! It doesn't pay to think greedy all the time. You paid off your machine and theres a sense of major accomplishment in that..congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread