UPDATE: Nunez Ferry Crossing- Perdido River AL/FL

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
RELICDUDE07 said:
I think the odds of 3 of us finding it on a small island are very good ;D If its still there :thumbsup:

if we can get a home location I think we can find it if it is there. I know where a ground pentrating radar is I can get my hands on. If it's there it will show it. I know a old timer that family has lived in that area for 2 centuries that I haven't talked with in a long time, I will ask him what tales he knows on it too

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Bridge?Did you look the area seminole landing at hwy 90,or the other road at perdido bay?Also i found this diggin in some web sites,not sure if its the same guy but sure could be.From the same neck of the woods. There were numerous early settlers of the Strip who sailed on Lafitte's ships, including Henry Perry, Pierre Guilotte, Henri Nunez, Jean Baptiste Callistre, Charles Cronea, Captain James Campbell, and Capt. Arsene LeBleu de Comarsac. By 1815 the latter had built his cabin at a point where the Calcasieu River intersected the Old Spanish Trail. And this also,not the same place but puts them in the ferry biz...The latter site was later occupied by one of Lafitte's shipmates, Richard Ballew, who obtained a one-league land grant from the Mexican government and operated a Sabine River ferry crossing.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
RELICDUDE07 said:
Bridge?Did you look the area seminole landing at hwy 90,or the other road at perdido bay?Also i found this diggin in some web sites,not sure if its the same guy but sure could be.From the same neck of the woods. There were numerous early settlers of the Strip who sailed on Lafitte's ships, including Henry Perry, Pierre Guilotte, Henri Nunez, Jean Baptiste Callistre, Charles Cronea, Captain James Campbell, and Capt. Arsene LeBleu de Comarsac. By 1815 the latter had built his cabin at a point where the Calcasieu River intersected the Old Spanish Trail. And this also,not the same place but puts them in the ferry biz...The latter site was later occupied by one of Lafitte's shipmates, Richard Ballew, who obtained a one-league land grant from the Mexican government and operated a Sabine River ferry crossing.

I have been going out of the Seminole Landing

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
RELICDUDE07 said:
I think thats the right spot according to the storys.. I think the info we need maybe in this book.But my computer is so slow it takes forever for it to load..I read 1 or 2 pages it talks about the area the ferry was.Let me know what you come up with.........relic.............................................http://books.google.com/books?id=ZEkUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA490&dq=lower+creek+indians+ferry+crossing

I sent you a pm, the link you sent me is also where I think it is and the teardrop is where I have been looking some. I have been accessing it by boat. I would rather take a boat than a canoe. Have you heard from Pcolaboy? Is he interested in looking with us. I have a boat myself and don't mind putting it into the thick stuff there as I scratch it up bass fishing anyway. I have another hunter I would think would love to join in if we want to go as 4.
I don't know if you been there before, it is very very thick in briars, scrub, etc. I was able to penetrate it, but it is a slow process and recommend machetes, gloves, safety glasses, long pants, boots, long sleeve shirt, repellant, etc. It might even be better to get together and come up with a plan of attack on it before we go and might be better to hit it late winter.
But I will go anytime as brairs are brairs and growth is growth. I only see one way in personally and that is hacking through it. I have been able to get there by putting in at the Seminole Landing or Hurst Hammock Landing

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Hell yeah I want to go...that's the whole reason why I started this thread! ;D

Seriously though, we could certainly take my boat but I'm not sure if I'll be able to launch it up at Ruby's Fish Camp or not which is just on the other side of Hwy 90. That ramp used to be really nice when I was a kid but the last time I went there a few years back it was all busted up concrete. But as the saying goes, "where there's a will there's a way". I most definitely recommend going late winter to do any serious searching but I could probably be persuaded to do a little scout trip in the meantime. If we go anytime before the first freeze, we'll definitely want to wear snake leggings. The shoreline of Perdido is notorious for eastern diamondbacks, mocassins, and copperheads. I think I have an extra pair if anyone wants to borrow them.

Another avenue of approach I'm taking is to obtain permission to access the property from land. The current property lies on land owned by the Nature Conservancy Trust, which is no problem. The only problem may be the fact that you have to travel through leased hunting club land to get to it. We may be able to work out a deal with whoever is leasing it from International Paper. I'll get to work on that aspect.

Throw out some plans to go and I'll see what I can arrange with the boat.

Pcola

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
PcolaBoy said:
Hell yeah I want to go...that's the whole reason why I started this thread! ;D

Seriously though, we could certainly take my boat but I'm not sure if I'll be able to launch it up at Ruby's Fish Camp or not which is just on the other side of Hwy 90. That ramp used to be really nice when I was a kid but the last time I went there a few years back it was all busted up concrete. But as the saying goes, "where there's a will there's a way". I most definitely recommend going late winter to do any serious searching but I could probably be persuaded to do a little scout trip in the meantime. If we go anytime before the first freeze, we'll definitely want to wear snake leggings. The shoreline of Perdido is notorious for eastern diamondbacks, mocassins, and copperheads. I think I have an extra pair if anyone wants to borrow them.

Another avenue of approach I'm taking is to obtain permission to access the property from land. The current property lies on land owned by the Nature Conservancy Trust, which is no problem. The only problem may be the fact that you have to travel through leased hunting club land to get to it. We may be able to work out a deal with whoever is leasing it from International Paper. I'll get to work on that aspect.

Throw out some plans to go and I'll see what I can arrange with the boat.

Pcola

ROFL Glad we were able to wake you up :D

If we go by boat which we can take mine too, we take out the hunting club, thats how I been looking for it. I think I can get us access through the club if we decide on a land route as I have many friends in that one. I would almost bet they would not let us through during hunting season in the dead of winter.

Ruby's is a very hard landing, but I don't know the size of your boat, mine are 16 and 19. I almost tore out an axle to my trailer last time I launched there but that was a long time ago. Thats why now I either launch at Hurst Hammock and run up or the Seminole Landing and run down. Both are pretty good ramps

Pcolaboy pm me or relic your landline (phone#) and lets see if we can get together next week sometime to discuss this.

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Bridge...PM sent.

Here's a photo that some of you may have already seen. I got it from the Florida State Archives and the only information it has about the photo is that it's a, "River ferry near Pensacola". So I guess it could be either Perdido or upper portion of Escambia River.

ferry.jpg

Pcola

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
I found this one on a al. treasure site

Attachments

• mURI_temp_501f8e57.jpg
    mURI_temp_501f8e57.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,893
  • mURI_temp_501f8e57.jpg
    mURI_temp_501f8e57.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,711

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
wow...you guys awsome...I'm new to the tnet and just picked up on this ...for what its worth...several sites in NJ where i lived and hunted most of my life produced nice stuff at sites like this and from my experience the cash was always found within an eye shot of the dwelling ...usually buried under some type of plants or trees...which were usually planted in a square box shape with the loot in several containers usually buried in the corners...and in 2cases in particular there was a wooden floor in the house that the guy who buried the loot wore down from pacing back and forth starring at his cash...good luck...happy hunting

BamaGirl

Jun 17, 2008
Bridge, Pcola and Relic,
I wish you guys all the luck in the world on finding this. I'm over in Mobile and I'm just starting out with treasure hunting and metal detecting and have feel in love with it.

Best of luck
Bamagirl

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
BamaGirl said:
Bridge, Pcola and Relic,
I wish you guys all the luck in the world on finding this. I'm over in Mobile and I'm just starting out with treasure hunting and metal detecting and have feel in love with it.

Best of luck
Bamagirl

you too neighbor :)

HHs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread