Update on Incredible BOA find -Silver hoarding teller exposed

coinfinder

Aug 15, 2008
I went back to the BOA where I found the incredible stash of 1970 halves and Franklin Halves. The teller told me she had $34 dollars worth and went to get them. In the meantime, the head teller starts looking frantically through her drawer. She then yells across room to the other tellers asking where the $90 in halves she had in the drawer were. At first I thought she was looking for me and was going to say I bought them last week, however I kept quiet. A teller replied, "They were given to some guy last week." (that would be me). The lead teller then said "Those were silver half dollars!, She is going to be in big trouble." The other teller said that "I know, the guy was really happy when he got them."

It was weird standing there hearing them talk about me. I wanted to say something, but kept quiet. The lead teller always appears very unhappy, and snarls at me every time I come into the bank. She always tells me they never have half dollars. Let's just say it felt a little good to get one up on her! I just hope no one got in trouble.

Finally, the $34 yielded a one 1967. She must have missed that one!

Upvote 0

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
That's funny!!!!!.I'm glad you got them and not some cherry picken teller.

OP
OP
C

coinfinder

Aug 15, 2008
I do wonder why she left them in the drawer, and why it took her a week to notice they were gone????

Philmont_709n2

Jul 2, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
hahaha thats awesome! gotta feel a little sad for the teller, but more often than not, the silver hoarding tellers are pretty unpleasant. :icon_thumright:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I've had that happen before.. If people are going to be mean about it.. dump your dumps over there. Overwelm them with dumps. Go on a day when the lead teller isn't working. Write "S" or silver on outside the rolls. Make them search through them.. Banks like that are only good for dumping since none of them will save you any silver.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious as to why some of you are so aggravated with tellers who "cherry pick" silver coins at the banks where they work. If YOU worked at a bank, wouldn't YOU "buy" silver coins for yourself?? You sure as hell would and so would I. A teller "buying" silver coins from her / his cash drawer is not illegal or immoral. They are not stealing from the bank; they're just beating you at your own game. Have a good belly laugh and go on about your business. :thumbsup:

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
That's the diffrence short stack we would buy them and take them home. Not horde them and get mad when someone else gets them.

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
I agree that if the teller wanted them, she should have bought them. Those cash drawers are not for stashing goodies, until they get their Christmas bonus.
Maybe she wanted to save them for someone willing to grease her palm a little. And why didn't she notice they were gone?

Great story coinfinder.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Shortstack said:
I'm curious as to why some of you are so aggravated with tellers who "cherry pick" silver coins at the banks where they work. If YOU worked at a bank, wouldn't YOU "buy" silver coins for yourself?? You sure as hell would and so would I. A teller "buying" silver coins from her / his cash drawer is not illegal or immoral. They are not stealing from the bank; they're just beating you at your own game. Have a good belly laugh and go on about your business. :thumbsup:

I gotta agree. LAthough I'm bummed when a teller takes the silver before I do, I can't say it is wrong or grumble. A fter all, they are just another CRH person who happens to work at the bank. We don't get mad at each other when someone says they found a horde. We congratulate them. So why get mad at someone else who fouind some coins just becaue you didn't get them. Just go to other banks and keep working on the banks that don't have tellers that take the silver.

I actually PASS on some banks o my curcuit because I know a teller there takes the stilver, and it is not worth my time to stop in. I just hit the other ones in the area. :-)

Be happy for what you get, and be happy for othrs when they get too. Just like you are happy for other shere that find good silver. :-)

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
still, to do that in front of every one (including customers) is very rude...tho very funny u got the silver in the first place, and still got the rest! :laughing9: one more silver for the pile! keep it up and hh!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if the lead teller wants them --she needs to buy them from her drawer -- and not tie up the banks money "in the drawer" till it suits her to get them --

my view is --if its in the draw or vault (and not "specail" order "box" of halves -for a fellow CRHer those are off limits ) --its "in play" and if i ask for halves --cough em up -- if the "teller" wants em fine -- they can buy em when they cross the counter * or at the end if the busssiness day --what ever the "banks policy" is -- but to just hoarde a bunch of silver in their drawer for several days until they want to cash out -- nope

if they get a score and want to set up a "freind" -- then they need to call him /her to "come and get it --right away " - and hope that they get there before someone else walks in and asks for halfs. --- fair is fair.

when they are asked for halfs and they say --we have none --when in fact they do - that is just lying--and that is never a "acceptible" bussiness practice --in my book.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those of you who've posted about that teller "hoarding the banks coins in her drawer for days" apparently don't get it. That teller would have to "buy" those coins to make her cash drawer balance out at the end of the day. All transactions are logged in during the day, and that cash drawer HAS to match what the day's transactions have produced; when compared to how much was in the drawer to begin the day (or her shift) with.
Some folks' greed is beginning to show so remember; what goes around, comes around.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a teller wants to keep em', then they should buy them same day. Otherwise, they are up for "graps."

Just my halve dollar cents,

apush :read2:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
shortstack her drawer will always "balance" no sweat --(unless she out right steals the silver coins from her drawer with paying face value for em ) because all she does is she just leaves the halves in the drawer "not moving"-- thus they "float" ( thus always staying the same amount pf $ /day in and out cash value wize in her drawer till she decides to buy them )--in effect shes "tying up the banks funds" by holding these coins "hostage" in her drawer --and not letting them flow -- sort of like say she did not want to give out nickles lets say , so she hands out everyone 5 pennies instead of handing out any nickles ** thus holding on to all the nickles in her drawer till she decides she wants to buy them -- like when its fiscally convenent for her to do so. :wink:

so long as the halfs just sit there in the drawer (she is in effect getting a interest free loan from the bank to use for her coin rolling , because shes trying up the banks money in her drawer --by using the banks money "in the drawer" to hold on to "her silver"-- and her drawer will not be short either --until she "removes them" --then and only then must she pony up for the coins and only at face value * ( she must then put cash in exchange inher drawer for any coins she removes )-- until then she builds her lil "silver nest egg" and the drawers count is "just fine" since all the numbers add up .

however -- if asked if she has any halfs* -- she should have to fork them over since*** --she has not bought them personally ( and has no right to "tie them up"-- to lie and say they have no halves is wrong .( knowingly lying to customers at any fiscal center of any type is NOT acceptible in my view , and is not proper ethically for a bank emplyee) -- she had her chance to buy them either as thye come over the counter or at the close of bussiness (whatever the bank policy is on the matter ) like all things in life -- if you snooze , you lose --if the coins in the drawer --fork em over , if i ask for them.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
i completely agree w/ ivan salis,
not to be rude, just trying to help, but u should probably not jump to conclusions, and just start right out trying to b rude about "how we dont get it", when in fact, we do. :wink: again, im not trying to b rude AT ALL.
hope this help, good luck, & hh!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread