Update on Incredible BOA find -Silver hoarding teller exposed

coinfinder

Aug 15, 2008
I went back to the BOA where I found the incredible stash of 1970 halves and Franklin Halves. The teller told me she had $34 dollars worth and went to get them. In the meantime, the head teller starts looking frantically through her drawer. She then yells across room to the other tellers asking where the $90 in halves she had in the drawer were. At first I thought she was looking for me and was going to say I bought them last week, however I kept quiet. A teller replied, "They were given to some guy last week." (that would be me). The lead teller then said "Those were silver half dollars!, She is going to be in big trouble." The other teller said that "I know, the guy was really happy when he got them."

It was weird standing there hearing them talk about me. I wanted to say something, but kept quiet. The lead teller always appears very unhappy, and snarls at me every time I come into the bank. She always tells me they never have half dollars. Let's just say it felt a little good to get one up on her! I just hope no one got in trouble.

Finally, the $34 yielded a one 1967. She must have missed that one!

Upvote 0

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
no, i dont think ur rude, and like i said, i was not trying to offend anyone, really...sorry if i offended anyone, tho i didnt mean it that way. keep it up and happy hunting.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! There are teller jobs open at my local credit union and I have commented several times to my wife, she should get a job working there. The last time I commented, she got savvy and asked (she knew why already - figued it out, I guess!) why I keep saying she should work there - so she can buy the silver coins that come through? Of course! Well, we have two younger boys and she would only be working to pay a baby sitter while she was at work. I have to begrudgingly agree.

Of course I would ask my wife, or I would if I worked there, to pull silver from the counter. I would be silly not to. But I cannot be angry if I let it sit in the drawer and someone else picks it up.

While Americans nationwided are struggling to find JOBS, there aren't enough folks over here in Europe to do the work on the US installations.

Kinda frustrating....

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
airborne1092 said:
Great story! There are teller jobs open at my local credit union and I have commented several times to my wife, she should get a job working there. The last time I commented, she got savvy and asked (she knew why already - figued it out, I guess!) why I keep saying she should work there - so she can buy the silver coins that come through? Of course! Well, we have two younger boys and she would only be working to pay a baby sitter while she was at work. I have to begrudgingly agree.

Of course I would ask my wife, or I would if I worked there, to pull silver from the counter. I would be silly not to. But I cannot be angry if I let it sit in the drawer and someone else picks it up.

While Americans nationwided are struggling to find JOBS, there aren't enough folks over here in Europe to do the work on the US installations.

Kinda frustrating....
What they do not accept Islamic workers over there on US Posts?

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
obediah said:
What they do not accept Islamic workers over there on US Posts?

Why would they not? The company who is contracted to guard our gates over here only require you to be a citizen of a NATO country. Not only is Turkey a NATO partner with a Muslim majority, there are many Muslims who are citizens of other NATO countries as well. As for any other job over here, I'm certain the requirement has nothing to do with ones religion and more to do with their qualifications. In fact come to think of it, I'm serviced by two muslims, one from Morocco and another from Eritria every month when I sign for my Govenment vehicles.

I'm not sure why you would think Muslims cannot work for the US govenment.

OP
OP
C

coinfinder

Aug 15, 2008
The original intention of my post was to point out poor customer service. I could care less if she kept the coins or not. Interestingly, this was the same teller who got me started hunting rolls when she gave me $240 of 40 percenters. Back then she was "glad" to get them out of the vault. She even volunteered to order me my first box. How times change!

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree with Ivan salis. I've thought about it a lot, when they say no about having halves, and they really do have halves they are just lying and that is wrong. Tellers have such a huge advantage over crhers, how can any of us look at it any other way?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
she most likely long ago gave you those 40% ers out of ignorance --most likely she did not know that 65 to 70's half dollars have 40% silver in them and wanted what she thoiught of as those "useless" halves gone from the vault --lots of folks think all silver ended in 1964 --most likely shes wized up to the 40% (1965 to 1970) halves by now. :wink: :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread