UPDATE!!! Would you be as curious as I am about this bag...........

Rosco Bookbinder

May 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250. Are there others?
Went to another branch of the bank today and opened an account (just to be on the safe side) then went to "the branch". I walked in and asked if they still had the bag of halves in the vault. Teller says yes and I say I want to buy them. She says it's not the end of the month yet. I say......."Is this a bank or a pawn shop?" She says just a moment and goes have a chat with her manager. She comes back, grabs another teller and they go to the vault. They come out with one big plastic bag full. It's got hand rolled, a few machine rolled and some SQUARE PLASTIC BOXES WITH A SNAP LIDS!!! She goes and gets two smaller bags, takes out the rolls from the big one and counts them out into the smaller bags. She got to $300 and sealed it. Then she took the plastic containers and started to open them to dump out the coins. I said she didn't need to roll them just drop them in the bag. She did all this behind the counter where I really couldn't see what was going on. She got the $300 worth in that bag sealed it up and asked if I was paying from account or cash. I said cash, handed her $600 bux and left the bank. I couldn't do much with the bags while driving home so had to wait. It didn't take long to see that this was a DUMP BATCH OF COINS!! Nothing special even in the loose ones that came from the plastic boxes. I am at a total loss here. But I did find 4 40's so it wasn't a skunk........heheeheh........

Attachments

• IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 383
Upvote 0

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, well, you never know until you try. As long as the count was right you are not out anything except time.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
You did the right thing RB. I would have found a way to buy them too. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

While you may have dreams of Bens and Walkers (so did I reading your earlier post); at least you didn't get skunked and have four more keepers than you did the day before.

Besides, now as a "card carrying" member of the bank you should have no problems ordering from them...........or choosing to use them as a dump bank.

Kudos.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to be assertive there, Rosco. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when that guy comes back to get his halves. Nice going on the silver!

OP
OP
Rosco Bookbinder

Rosco Bookbinder

May 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Immy said:
Way to be assertive there, Rosco. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when that guy comes back to get his halves. Nice going on the silver!
I have a feeling they may call him so he can come get his plastic boxes back. They were cool and I thought for sure they would be the good ones. I still can't understand what he wanted the coins back for. He could order a box plus 10 rolls and get the same stuff. There was NOTHING special about that bag of coins. Just looked like a 60 roll box to me. At least I got 4 keeps and one is all I needed to make another roll of 40's. Thing is you never know.......Now if it had of been my bro awhitster then it would have been 600 bux of silver.

coincollector101

May 8, 2007
"Is this a bank or a pawn shop?"

I LOVE THAT ROSCO.

I cant wait to say that in a bank.....Well I hope I dont have to but its so Funny I would have loved to see her Expression.

That Sucks Thats all the bag had I would have thought it was the mother load, Hey you never know Dont leave any stone unturned!!

Happy Hunting,
CC

OP
OP
Rosco Bookbinder

Rosco Bookbinder

May 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
coincollector101 said:
"Is this a bank or a pawn shop?"
I LOVE THAT ROSCO.
I cant wait to say that in a bank.....Well I hope I dont have to but its so Funny I would have loved to see her Expression.
That Sucks Thats all the bag had I would have thought it was the mother load, Hey you never know Dont leave any stone unturned!!
Happy Hunting,
CC
She had no expression. Just walked right to the managers office. I would have loved to have heard that conversation. We can only imagine what she said, what was said and what I got......ehehe.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should return them to the same bank and replace the 4 you took out with some clad, when he comes back he can take em back out of circulation... ;D

OP
OP
Rosco Bookbinder

Rosco Bookbinder

May 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
GMan00001 said:
You should return them to the same bank and replace the 4 you took out with some clad, when he comes back he can take em back out of circulation... ;D
Believe me I have that of thought. Take them back in rolls and say.........."I went through his coins, there ain't sh*t in them, why he wanted them he only knows but here they are".....

It's a dump bank. I need to keep a "GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH THEM".......HEEHEHE......

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
I'm glad to see for all that drama you at least got 4 - 40's. Heck, I got $1200 in Elko at one bank and got 2. You did what I would have. I think they realized what they were doing was against the rule's law. I don't think the shareholders would be happy with a $600 loan and not make any $$$.

mm12000

May 18, 2007
I doubt he had any real intention to take them back - I imagine he tried to make it seem like he was not inconveniencing the bank by saying he'd come back and get 'em. No different then the 1 or 2 times when i told a bank that "Oh, these were Grandpa's, but I need the money and i don't have time to look through em" - their eyes light up and they think silver, while I think "heh, 500 bucks less to get rid of now."

And that's my 2 cents... or 1 box; semantics, you know. :)

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Here's the way to look at this situation-
You have to find out how that guy cultivated those "dream tellers".
Go out and create some of your own.
That guy had some loyal bankers - look what you had to go through to pry the bag out of the vault.
It's nice to have tellers collecting and stashing for you and no one else!
I bet they apologize all over themselves and try to make it up to the guy when he comes to fetch the bag that you got! :D :D :D

coincollector101

May 8, 2007
I went to Turn in some Dumps at a new branch I had not been to....I told them I was Behind on my bills and had to turn my collection in,
one box.The tells Eyes Lit up Like he knew it was all silver.hes like how many years did it take you to collect them"I said my Whole Life"lol
I knew He collected by the way he talked.
I wish I could have seen his face when he went threw all 50 rolls and found nothing lol.

CC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread