Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some tests at home to check for this gold item,item was stamped with 14k stamp
Real gold will sink in water,placed in water and it went to the bottom
Try to clean,used baking soda,boiling water,and tooth brush
Results were positive,,Thanks to all For inspiring me to follow up,,,

Attachments

• D9847F7C-7639-46AD-8132-144978B18A2E.jpeg
    D9847F7C-7639-46AD-8132-144978B18A2E.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 115
  • BA6B9843-AFB8-47A5-A1D7-8836D20216D2.jpeg
    BA6B9843-AFB8-47A5-A1D7-8836D20216D2.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Irishgoldhound hi thanks for the feedback,I was just following people’s recommendation that I should get it tested,I found a site that listed several things to do and I did them,the article just stated to put the object in a bowl of water not a pool,again I am by no means a expert in gold technology.on the other hand if this was a priceless painting or some very valuable ancient object then I could understand that thorough research be done ,,in closing for me I just wanted to share a nice find. Take care

I was just trying to support your theory which is true, but on a larger scale is all. One cubic foot of iron weighs 500lbs and a cubic foot of gold weighs 1200lbs. Which one do you think would hit the ocean bottom first?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m not saying it’s a test to perform as an indication of an item being “solid” gold vs plated. Nor would I even bother to try but It’s just a fact , solid gold will sink faster

Any other precious metal... would IMO sink at same rate... and then there is our old friend lead... which would IMO also sink at the same if not a faster rate than gold.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Items dropped would have to be exact same shape / size as well.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A "common" wood nail would drop faster than a gold nugget. IMO

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Gold is still almost twice as dense as lead which would still sink faster. Platinum on the other hand is twice as dense as gold which would sink faster than gold.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Items dropped would have to be exact same shape / size as well.

So a 1 gram ball of iron and a one gram ball of gold were dropped into the ocean at a distance of one mile to the ocean floor. The gold will hit first.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a 1 gram ball of iron and a one gram ball of gold were dropped into the ocean at a distance of one mile to the ocean floor. The gold will hit first.

um... that's like the old 1 pound of gold VS one pound of feathers... which weighs more ? ? ?

They weigh the same.

BUT ! ! !

They wont fall the same. :P

UNLESS....

BOTH were exact same size.... not sure you could crush 1 pound of feathers into mass the same size as the gold or not. heh

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
A "common" wood nail would drop faster than a gold nugget. IMO

If they were the same weight maybe not because of the shape of the nail, the nail is stream line and would create less drag. But if the nail had a head on it, it could act like an umbrella all the way down. Lol. Oh boy.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
um... that's like the old 1 pound of gold VS one pound of feathers... which weighs more ? ? ?

They weigh the same.

BUT ! ! !

UNLESS....

BOTH were exact same size.... not sure you could crush 1 pound of feathers into mass the same size as the gold or not. heh

Hahaha you got that one!!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds

They weigh the same.

BUT ! ! !

UNLESS....

I was making the feather joke lmao.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you this first hand... for I have lots... ehhh... LOTS of experience in this...

Coins...

They do not sink quickly most times.

Growing up in water... a pool and a dock in my back yard... I practice my breath holding skills... all started with my dad tossing a handful of change into the pool... which I loved and had him do constantly... mainly cuz I got to keep the change... but anyway...

Arrhh... basically... he would count to three then toss his pocket change into pool and on three I could launch into pool...

I was at bottom before most had made it half way down... so the change would be raining around me.

My deal was to see how much I could get in that one breath... each time trying to make / beat a record.

Sorry... felt the need to share... and quite frankly its been so many moons ago ... I forgot about it... so it was good memory.

:)

PS... I might add... my breath holding / swimming abilities earned me many nicknames... the first being "fish" at age sheesh... I guess when went off diving boards at 2... um somewhere around then.

I quickly grew outta that nickname though. :P

PSS....

The poll was easy... Try the same coins in Intercostal Waterway... 2 foot viz. :)

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
You’re right though. Items would have to be exact same shape and size which would give precious metals almost twice the weight compared to other common alloys.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I can tell you this first hand... for I have lots... ehhh... LOTS of experience in this...

Coins...

They do not sink quickly most times.

Growing up in water... a pool and a dock in my back yard... I practice my breath holding skills... all started with my dad tossing a handful of change into the pool... which I loved and had him do constantly... mainly cuz I got to keep the change... but anyway...

Arrhh... basically... he would count to three then toss his pocket change into pool and on three I could launch into pool...

I was at bottom before most had made it half way down... so the change would be raining around me.

My deal was to see how much I could get in that one breath... each time trying to make / beat a record.

Sorry... felt the need to share... and quite frankly its been so many moons ago ... I forgot about it... so it was good memory.

:)

PS... I might add... my breath holding / swimming abilities earned me many nicknames... the first being "fish" at age sheesh... I guess when went off diving boards at 2... um somewhere around then.

I quickly grew outta that nickname though. :P

Sounds like that’s how your treasure hunting days all started.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as "treasure hunting"...

Um yeah I was into that a little bit as well... just a little...:)

Blame Mel Fisher for that.

I mean come on... this day sealed that deal. heh

PICT0001-3 (1).JPG

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread will be cleaned.

Sorry we hijacked your thread Bill :P

Will make it right later. :)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then shorter... and a couple greys here and there (good shot of the back of my head) :P

(picture was taken by my girl)

Me in museum.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread