Upgrading from f2

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever MD you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Have to agree with VPN. The vendors on here can give you a good deal on new detector. There is a lot of used machines out there for sale. Slightly used, lots of extras. Dont settle, get what you really want. Even if you have a little longer.

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from Adams County. F5 or F70 for the money, very capable. F70 is pretty hot and has a bit of a learning curve but I like mine. Most people either love or hate the 70.----HH

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello from Adams County. F5 or F70 for the money, very capable. F70 is pretty hot and has a bit of a learning curve but I like mine. Most people either love or hate the 70.----HH

Hello,
What is it you really like on the F70? What made you get it over a F5 or some other detector?
As far as being hot, do you mean deep but lots of background noise? What depth do you regularly find coins?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F5 is a great detector. It gives a constant readout of the ground conditions, has some great adjustments that you can do with threshold, notch, tones, etc. It also has one of the largest display screens with big numbers if you have "over 40" eyes.

Give us a call if we can help with your decision.

Wayne
(832) 928-9135
www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just seen the new treasure commanders for sale. Good price, one has a gps. They are running 7khz, so not so good on small gold, but looks like they could kill it in the parks. Price is right, and you could get a propointer to boot. Check Kellyco out, click on the duck hunter banner. Do a compare and see what you think? I have a F75, and Im thinking of stepping down to one. I dont like a detector that is smarter than me.

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,
What is it you really like on the F70? What made you get it over a F5 or some other detector?
As far as being hot, do you mean deep but lots of background noise? What depth do you regularly find coins?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

Hi Toothpick, I became interested in the F5 when I read articles in "tricks and tips" of the F5 or also known as the "bible of the F5" by Mike Hillis. Tricks and tips can be found on the fisher site. I loved the look of the F5 and the knobs for quick control over key features. I nearly pulled the trigger on the F5 when I decided to pick the brain of a local dealer on the different units he sold since Garrett and Fisher were both in his display. I knew the F70 was a step up from the 5 in price and the dealer just happened use an F70 himself. He also had one that a friend of his had for a very short time but could not master the learning curve. We air tested both the F5 with the 11"DD coil and F70 with the 10" concentric coil with very little difference in results except the 70 hit a little harder on gold . I bought the F70 for only 30 dollars more than the F5. The 70 has a super fast recovery speed. Depth will be determined by ground conditions and electrical interference. They are a coin magnet no doubt with most clad being 3 to 5". I found a 1919 Merc dime at 8" hung up in tree roots and is the only silver I have found to date but that is not the fault of the F70. Some of the guys who have the DD coil say they also love bottle caps but I think that is more so a DD coil thing than a trait of the F70 because I can pretty much tell a cap from a quarter with the concentric coil.. You will get lots of false tone from iron and the more discrimination you use the more falsing you will get. F70s have what is called Delta pitch tones where a different tone is given to all the different metal types so you can associate the false signal with the iron tone without having to look at the display. Just because iron is discriminated out doesn't mean it will not give off a false higher tone. I once dug a clad quarter at 12" in beach sand so wet there was water standing in the hole when I found it. It was more accidental than anything since the tone came thru as a weak iron groan with no VDI # but I dug it out of curiosity. F70s take 4 AA batteries and last an unbelievably long time. I use rechargeable batteries. There were times I thought to myself "Why did I ever buy this thing" until I learned to separate the false signals from the real but I probably was running hotter than I needed to. The F70 will give you the same options that the F5 will as far as threshold and sensitivity settings but the 70 is at a little higher frequency I believe like 13.75 or so and coils will interchange with the F75. I like the concentric coil but you have to think of it as an upside down traffic cone pattern 10 inches long with the tip being about the size of a golf ball. By raising and lowering the coil with this in mind you are sometimes able to separate masking especially with pocket spills where you would get jumpy signals and walk away thinking the target is junk. I think a sniper coil or a 6.5" DD will be my next venture but I am still learning every time I go out with this coil and I have had this setup for 6 months and hunt 6 or more hours every week. The good part of running this thing hot is like with the stay tabs lying perfectly flat sound like nickels at first but the longer you radiate them , the jumpier they get. Foil seals on small chocolate milk bottles on the other hand will fool me because they come in at 20 to 22 Vdi exactly like a small gold ring and will not waver even if you heel and toe the perimeter. Good thing is they are always shallow. I have patients of stone which helped not to get discouraged while learning the F70 but there are people who hate them. I for one am glad I stuck with it and have no interest in getting anything else for now. Sorry about rambling on but I hope this helps-------HH--Larry

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Harry!
Well, I just did almost the same thing you did. Went to a local dealer Saturday to look at f5's and walked out with a new Teknetics T2 Special Edition.
Went to a local park that and hunted the ball diamond which was like a empty desert in the past. Dug about 10 coins, all newer but still it was 10 that were missed many times in the past. Still learning. I plan on going out again right after the Packers win :)

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to another hunted out area. Dug a pretty deep Mercury, a 1930 Canadian penny and a 35 wheatie . Considering I have only five or six hours of use and experience I am a happy camper. When I get 40 or 50 hours on this T2 it should really be rocking. If I have any more updates I'll post them on the correct forum. Thanks for everyone's advice.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah I kept the F2 it's gonna make a good backup and a nice machine for my grandson the tagalong with

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice purchase! Thats a nice MD that I was considering myself! I settled with the F2 for now until I somewhat consider myself a master at MD. LOL! But, I think when the time comes for an upgrade I'll go to an F5 or F70! Time will tell I guess! Nice purchase man!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the F5 with the 11"dd and the T2 and can tell u that the T2 ROCKS!!! But I can tell u this that the F5 can hang all day with the AT pro and tells u more and swings easier. My buddy's have pros and will tell u the same about the F5 but when I break out the T2 they run to the house. lol. HH..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread