Upgrading to an E-Trac/Safari

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading plenty of reviews and members posts on here I think I've decided to upgrade my Ace350 to either an E-Trac or Safari. I've read on here some people are having pin point issues with them, I feel plenty confident PP with my 350 DD. 8 out of 10 times I'm with in an inch or so of my target, I almost always use the wiggle tactic. Would PP with E-Trac/Safari be the same as my 350 DD? Also, I was offered an E-Trac for $1200,never used yet, still new in box ( detector only). I'm thinking that's a very good deal, concur? Thanks guys!

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$1200 is good but I would also give Bart a Big Boys Hobbies a call just to be sure you are satisfied with that price. It never hurts to look around a bit when your gonna buy a new machine.

BTW, if you go with the Etrac you will easily have one of the very best Silver Coin killers on the market today!

Jeff

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a safari for a lot cheaper and it is as good as an etrac just less bells and whistles same depth and a million times easier to use

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$1200 new in box?! I'd buy it!!
After reading plenty of reviews and members posts on here I think I've decided to upgrade my Ace350 to either an E-Trac or Safari. I've read on here some people are having pin point issues with them, I feel plenty confident PP with my 350 DD. 8 out of 10 times I'm with in an inch or so of my target, I almost always use the wiggle tactic. Would PP with E-Trac/Safari be the same as my 350 DD? Also, I was offered an E-Trac for $1200,never used yet, still new in box ( detector only). I'm thinking that's a very good deal, concur? Thanks guys!

OP
OP
Jdett411

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really torn between Safari vs E-Trac. Assuming the same guy works the same grounds with a safari then an E-Trac, will he detect the same targets. Just when using the E-Trac he'll have more info on each target before digging?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$1200 is good but I would also give Bart a Big Boys Hobbies a call just to be sure you are satisfied with that price. It never hurts to look around a bit when your gonna buy a new machine.

BTW, if you go with the Etrac you will easily have one of the very best Silver Coin killers on the market today!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! :thumbsup:
Jdett411 feel free to give me a ring. Be glad to answer all your questions and make you a great deal. Be sure to mention this forum when you call!

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1200 for an etrac sounds good...but i know you can get the safari for less..

I don't think you would do any better in an area with the etrac then went back with the safari...or with the safari then go back and swing the etrac....remember..you are digging based on tones...you may hear a semi good tone with your etrac and decide to dig it....or you have the same tone with the safari and decide not to dig...

I think they are both excellent machines....but its up to you to decide to dig that tone or not...the machine is only as good as the guy swingin it.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you going to do with your 350? I am watching the used stuff for sale, trying to pick some up for the scouts to use. Unfortunately i am payimg for the stuff myself and my wife found out, so i may not be picking up much.

OP
OP
Jdett411

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart: I will try to give you a call later today.

Doug: thank you that did answer my concern. E-Trac ill get more info before digging.

Gerry: sorry, I will not be selling it. Good to have as a spare.

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest you buy the best machine you can afford. I have never owned the Safari although I have owned 3 different Explorers. The Safari uses the same internal components that the Explorer uses. I will only tell you that if it were me and I bought the Safari and when I was out and about learning it I would be wondering if I should of went with the Etrac.

Heck I have the Etrac and am proficient with it but I still think about getting a CTX.

Just say'in

Jeff

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A new Safari is about $1000, you can get the never used Etrac for $1200. I'd spend the extra $200. There are improvements over the Explorer type of detector(like the safari) in the Etrac. Such as the Smartfind screen: the Ferrous and Conductive scale has been turned completely on it's side and there is no longer any "s" line. There is generally less bounce on the cursor as well.

OP
OP
Jdett411

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I pick that E-Trac up today. Got a short time to try it out today, just wasn't able to dig anything. Chicagoland is frozen solid!!! It sounded like R2D2. Until 40°+ comes ill keep reading the Andy Sab book and watching videos.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you get your e track that you picked it up?

OP
OP
Jdett411

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friend of a friend. New still in box. Couldn't pass the prices up.

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you'll love the etrac, i use mine on the beach in Texas, its fantastic in wet and dry sand and Ill use it in the water for a foot or so anything deeper and the excal comes out, good luck with it!

grizj

May 22, 2011
maryland
Detector(s) used
Waterproof unit
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The next one i get will be coming from bigboyshobbies,thanks again bart for the outstanding service.:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread