Upgrading?

taterchips

Jan 21, 2008
I am considering upgrading metal detectors. Right now, I have a Bounty Hunter Tracker II which is a cheap detector (about $100). I have done okay with it but feel that I am missing deaper targets/not discriminating out enough junk.

I have been looking at the ACE 250 as a possible replacement but don't mind spending a good bit more if the reward is going to be there. Anyone have any advice?

Upvote 0

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
The Ace 250 is not going to be much of a step up. I have a Minelab X-Terra 70 and love it. Very versatile, light weight and great depth and discrimination. It has an easy learning curve compared to most higher end detectors. If your really serious about the hobby, it would be money well spent. Go to www.findmall.com and look at the X-Terra section. You will see how easy it is to learn and the great finds people have been making with the X-Terra. There are other good detectors on the market also, but none that get better finds for the price.

Good hunting, John K

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something a lot of newer hunters including myself didn't realize is the mid-range and and higher end detectors really hold their values. It is not money lost, but can be reinvested down the road with tradeins and resales. They will allow you the ability to upgrade to higher end models when your ready for less money.

If you buy used from a respected member of one of the boards the percent of your investment you can recover is even higher. I am speaking from experience.................... :thumbsup:

Good luck and good hunting.

OP
OP
T

taterchips

Jan 21, 2008
How is the Minelab X-Terra 30? Thanks for the advice thus far. Really enjoying the hobby just worried that something could happen to the detector (I am sometimes bad about not taking care of my things ::))

OkieMike

Dec 19, 2007
Moore,Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre and Cibola.
I would highly recommend a Tesoro Silver U-Max,or Cibola.Very simple to use,plus lifetime warrenty.

OP
OP
T

taterchips

Jan 21, 2008
I think I'm going to go with the Cibola!

I wish that it had a depth indicator, but you get what you pay for, and I love the warranty and resell value.

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
Good advise. The Minelab X-terra 30 is still in the lower priced, lower feature category.

Good hunting, John K

OP
OP
T

taterchips

Jan 21, 2008
Making decision!

I am making a $decision tonight. After extensive research, it's either going to be the Tesoro Deleon or the Ace 250 with the additional larger coil.

Which would you go for. Deleon costs $480, Ace 250 is $298 with the extra coil.

Help me make my decision because I can't decide!

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
where do you live? soil conditions can come into play, as what machine may work, generaly tesoros will handle the bad ground better

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The X-terra 70 is really a top noch detector i love it..............Now on the X-terra 30 never had one but have heard a lot of people that have it don't like it from what i hear the 30 is not that good...............==Jim==

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread