Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
Upvote 0

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I do most of my hunting in the city in older not so nice areas. The goodies are ther for sure but its not quite as easy as opening a treasure chest and taking your fill. City hunting is very difficult for several different reasons. First being the insane amount of trash that is in the ground. Pulltabs? Try one every 3 inches.Bottlecaps tripping over each other not to mention all the glass and cans,canslaw,canfrags,oh and car parts by the drove. If you want to do well in the urban treasure arena you better have a good machine and know how to use it. To practice take a coin,wrap a pulltab around itstick them inside a bottlecap then drive a nail through them,bury it about 6 inches and when u can repeatedly find the coin then you are getting there. Next there is the obvious question of security,like someone posted,they will cut your throat in some spots for a pack of smokes. As several have mentioned the best time to hunt the hood is the early morning,sunday is best with saturday a close second,though you can feel pretty safe in some pretty bad neighborhoods until 11 or so most mornings. The next rule is not to hunt one spot too long,if I feel pretty safe I may hunt a spot for a couple of hours as a rule I dont hunt many bad spots for even an hour,just jump out and start swinging like you belong there by the time a lot of the undesireables are onto your game and ready to make some sort of move you are back in the car. I mainly hunt demolition,condemed,abandoned or anywhere there is fresh dirt torn up,even if its for 15 or 20 minutes its worth taking a shot because very few of those areas have ever been touched by a MD and back in the day thats where the people were at. Just pay attention more than anything and dont hunt too far from your vehicle. I know of several urban fishermen that like to carry some heat with them,that is up to you but its more gear to carry more things to remember to forget to remember. I have all my gear streamlined so I dont have to juggle things and I dont lose things,be safe out there...Shoot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions