Used Metal Detectors for Beach Hunting

L

LCP1963

I am primarily going to use a metal detector for hunting on the beach. I have seen the following used detectors:

- Whites Professional Series 2 Coinmaster 6000/D metal detector

- Whites Coinmaster 5500/d Series 3 metal detector

Would these be good choices for beach hunting? Would you have other suggestions for used detectors for beach hunting? Thanks, LCP

Upvote 0

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Almost any detector works on the beach as long as you don't get into wet sand.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right, about any detector works in the dry sand. Get into the wet saltwater sand any they will go crazy. For any saltwater wet sand hunting you should have one with a saltwater mode.. Good used ones when you can find them are Tesoro Sting Ray's, Tiger Shark and Sand Shark. Whites offers the Beach Hunter Id II. Stay away from the Pulse Induction detectors unless you don't mind digging deep holes for iron nails. ( they have almost no discrimination) PI's are very deep and may be the ticket on saltwater beaches.

Freshwater beaches can be searched using a hip mounted detector, just don't fall down an get the box wet. One of the best for fresh and salt beaches are the Minelab Excals and Sovereign GT. You will find many of the beach hunters here using them. Try to buy from a dealer where you can try what ever you decide out.

Both the Whites mentioned are much older machines.

HH,
Sandman

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is more in what you havent told us than in what you have. But as always, Sandman hit some good points. Those ARE older machines. But, your question was:

"Would these be good choices for beach hunting?"

I'd have to say no. Especially not if something else can be had. Sure, theyll work and if you can get an exceptional deal then your decision could be made then and there. It sort of depends on how much money were talking about here. Beach hunting takes some specialized gear and were not just talking detectors. Things like sifters and recovery scoops, for example, are different than land retrieval tools - and cost more.

But, not the least of the problems you face with those detectors is weight and suitability. Neither of them are lightweights or "ergo-friendly," and beach hunting can be fatiguing. The combination of hot sun, wind and dragging sand all exert their influence on your body if you are unaccustomed to them. Add to this the extra exertion of a heavy, ill balanced detector and you should moderate your exposure in the beginning.

Another issue is the reason everyone goes to the beach - the water. Most of us say we wont take our non-waterproof detectors near the water; until we see a nice recovery on one of the water hunting forums... or someone comes by on the beach with a good item they found down at the water line! Soon we have meandered down there, complacent, and convincing ourselves we'll be careful. However, swirling cuts, small rips, rocks and submerged dangers, etc. can be treacherous footing. One slip and "DUNK-O!" your detector is under. Too, I dont think the detectors you mentioned have non-bouyant coils. This means they will try to float when in the water and make it hard to detect at all!

If you are spending more than $200 on those units, then I suggest you leave them where they are and buy a new ACE 250. Lighter and easy on batteries, you can hunt a long time with it still minimize fatigue. At least as effective as the ones you mentioned, an ACE will do nicely in all but the wettest of salt sands. Many people are "hoovering" the beach sands with those little ACES, leaving bigger, heavier units at home. Get the larger coil and do even better. At the fresh water beach all these attributes remain, plus the coil is NOT bouyant. Some folks even go so far as to mount the ACE in a waterproof housing!

If it were me, I'd plan on getting a dedicated water unit as soon as I could. The Tesoro Tiger Shark, or Fisher Aquanaut are both good freshies as are the Minelabs Sandman mentioned At the marine shore, a PI is the choice for depth, but it has no DISC. The Minelabs again seem to be the better compromise there, too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions