Using a bulb digger with a cordless drill for hole digging. Does anyone use this?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think the down side would be carrying all that stuff around, and a drill in the park i can see trouble...but in the woods or a house site might be ok.
Gary

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the down side would be carrying all that stuff around, and a drill in the park i can see trouble...but in the woods or a house site might be ok.
Gary

I use a carpenter's tool belt when detecting so I would have to make a special holder to carry it.

I wonder how long a fully charged 18V battery will last digging holes. If it lasts for an hour or so it may be worth it.

Problem is here in Texas the ground is so darn hard it's like trying to dig in the middle of the road. After a couple hours my hands are about dead and it takes a couple days to recoop.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always like the idea of letting a machine do the work, but wouldn't use this at a park. It doesn't allow for cutting a plug to be replaced. And it might scar a really nice old coin. Just something to think about.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always like the idea of letting a machine do the work, but wouldn't use this at a park. It doesn't allow for cutting a plug to be replaced. And it might scar a really nice old coin. Just something to think about.

I have been detecting in a dried up lake. It's a layer of small pebbles on top, an inch layer of sand, and clay under that. In my situation I don't have to worry about plugs because I just simply push everything back in the hole and it looks the same.

The smimming hole I am detecting has only been around for about 50 years so I doubt I will get any old coins from here. Probably mostly going to find lost jewelry for prec metals scrap.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting in a dried up lake. It's a layer of small pebbles on top, an inch layer of sand, and clay under that. In my situation I don't have to worry about plugs because I just simply push everything back in the hole and it looks the same.

The smimming hole I am detecting has only been around for about 50 years so I doubt I will get any old coins from here. Probably mostly going to find lost jewelry for prec metals scrap.

In that instance, I would definitely use it!

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that instance, I would definitely use it!

Yea here in central Texas it's virtually impossible to dig any ground that has grass on it. The ground around here is about the hardness of cement before it completely cures. Not good for growing anything either... grass around here lives by the skin of its teeth (and grass has no teeth).

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea here in central Texas it's virtually impossible to dig any ground that has grass on it. The ground around here is about the hardness of cement before it completely cures. Not good for growing anything either... grass around here lives by the skin of its teeth (and grass has no teeth).

The drought is hitting us pretty hard in north Texas, too. I sure hope it ends soon.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The drought is hitting us pretty hard in north Texas, too. I sure hope it ends soon.

Now is your chance to hit dried up swimming holes. Here Lake Travis is lower than I have ever seen.

SWIMMING HOLE + SLIPPERY SUNBLOCK + TREADING WATER = RINGS FLY OFF AND SINK TO THE BOTTOM.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now is your chance to hit dried up swimming holes. Here Lake Travis is lower than I have ever seen.

SWIMMING HOLE + SLIPPERY SUNBLOCK + TREADING WATER = RINGS FLY OFF AND SINK TO THE BOTTOM.

Yeah. Thin I'll hit a swimming area at Cedar Creek later this week. I used to dive at Windy Point on Lake Travis. I've heard the training platforms are out of the water. Bad drought all the way around.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. Thin I'll hit a swimming area at Cedar Creek later this week. I used to dive at Windy Point on Lake Travis. I've heard the training platforms are out of the water. Bad drought all the way around.

The best honey hole would be to find a dried up swimming hole where there is a rope swing. I bet there is a goldmine under those rope swings.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the biggest down side to this would be... Instead of digging a hole around your target. You would be drilling straight into it, Causing damage to what ever you are trying to retrieve.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just use a shovel. This is just more useless junk to carry around that isn't needed.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just use a shovel. This is just more useless junk to carry around that isn't needed.

You try digging into this crap with a shovel. dirt.jpg

you will be there for 20 minutes on each hole.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And what do you think a bulb planter designed for working in soft, pre-tilled soil is going to do?

I actually found a giant screwdriver works the best in this kind of environment. Too much limestone.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a screw driver as probe and to pry the target out of the ground.

Let us know how the drill/bulb thing works out. If your using it in a dried up lake bed I don't see why not.

I really wished I could have used something like that my last MD'ing trip, ground was frozen solid used my screw driver and digger as a hammer and chisel. Ended up with blisters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions