Using a dredge to find arrowheads...

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in another forum but then saw this forum...thanks in advance for your comments, info, help...

Has anyone every tried to use their gold dredge to locate arrowheads in creeks in the lower 48? I'm leaving AK this summer and would love to still use my dredge to possibly find some arrowheads not only in plowed farm fields and creeks. Just thinking it might work even if the dredge pushes the arrowheads out the back...it would end up in a pile of rocks that could be sifted through.

I have access to two creeks on private land in the central midwest and would love to give it a try...

Your thoughts?

Ang

Upvote 0

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
I have found several in my sluice box, caught in the riffles. It is possible but there is a high risk of damage as they come up the pipe. They would also tend to jam because of the pointed and sharp edges. A larger pipe(4in or bigger) would be easier on them along with a jet flair as opposed to a crash box. Most of those recovered have been accidental. Good luck!!!!

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
If you're in the right spot with ancient occupation I think you could accumulate alot of artifacts that way. I think many of them would get damaged in the process though, jmo.

MObushwhacker

Feb 20, 2010
Scott County Missouri
Detector(s) used
White DFX
AlaskaAng said:
I posted this in another forum but then saw this forum...thanks in advance for your comments, info, help...

Has anyone every tried to use their gold dredge to locate arrowheads in creeks in the lower 48? I'm leaving AK this summer and would love to still use my dredge to possibly find some arrowheads not only in plowed farm fields and creeks. Just thinking it might work even if the dredge pushes the arrowheads out the back...it would end up in a pile of rocks that could be sifted through.

I have access to two creeks on private land in the central midwest and would love to give it a try...

Your thoughts?
As a old retired dredger. I believe a dredge would destroy any artifact that was sucked up and sent through the pump

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mother in law found one stuck in her ripples 3in

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all off the advice and tips. I use a 4" Keene so maybe the nozzle/hose will be large enough not to damage the points. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I'll keep you posted but it'll be a while...I don't leave the frozen north til this fall!

Ang

chert99

Dec 7, 2010
I have used a 6 inch dredge to hunt for artifacts. You can actually find a lot but the problem if the dredge has a tendency to break things as the artifact goes through the pipes. It takes some doing but if you keep at it you will eventually find something.

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
I heard of a guy that had one on a boat in the missisippi here in iowa and he would go to where the creeks dumped into the river and suck up the rocks into a basket and sort through them on the boat. Sounded like he had a pretty good system and must have found plenty as he did that alot. It does sound like alot would get broke though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread