using a hand auger to test for gold without digging?

Karl

Sep 30, 2012
Dublin
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all,

This is just an idea a had a while back and wanted your opinions to see if it would work.you'll have to excuse me cuz i am pretty new to this!

when i was soil sampling for a mining company a couple of years back we used these hand auger/drills like these ones AMS Soil Augers

my thought was that would these be good for obtaining samples at bedrock without accually having to dig down that far?these would not work though in very rocky ground.

Please let me know your opinions on this.it might be useful,or there again it might not be plausible.
I remember going down as far as 6 metres with one of this augers,and could probably have gone alot deeper.
so bassically i was thinking you could drill down deep and pan whatever you take up.

anyways let me know what you think!thanks all!

-Karl

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning Karl and thank you for sharing your idea and the link for the Augers. Here in California, USA, placer mining is for the most part associated with rocks and boulders of various sizes. In most cases I can think of due to the rocks it would be difficult to reach the lower areas where sampling would be desired however there are likely special situations say where the ground is mostly small gravel where the sampling auber would work just fine. Your idea is appreciated as I suspect you will have created answers to someone on this site. Attached are pictures of a typical river prospecting area in CA.

196_9635.JPG 196_9639.JPG

Regards.........63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've sold and utilized motorized post hole diggers for at least 40 years and sure beats a pick and shovel. I prefer 2 man vs single as with the bigger engine and more muscle you can really get it done quickly. Added extensions really punch down deep,just let it run for a minute or so at max depth and pattern out a staggered set of holes for testing paystreaks---manual??? not for me-John PS-ez to rent also as many sizes rented all over the place for really cheap also!!

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Hoser John said:
I've sold and utilized motorized post hole diggers for at least 40 years and sure beats a pick and shovel. I prefer 2 man vs single as with the bigger engine and more muscle you can really get it done quickly. Added extensions really punch down deep,just let it run for a minute or so at max depth and pattern out a staggered set of holes for testing paystreaks---manual??? not for me-John PS-ez to rent also as many sizes rented all over the place for really cheap also!!

Now you got me thinking! Why would you do that! Lol. Do I really need to spend more money on this hobby!! Cuz I really want a auger. Been thinking about it for a while. Truly not sure how effective it would be.. Guess you have to be really good at picking "diggin spots" or willing to do a lot of sample holes. I would prob have to buy/rent a one man auger. Since I always go out alone. Most of my friends and family think I have lost my mind with this prospecting thing. Ha!

I can't understand why a friend would not want to come with me to the mojave in the middle of the summer??? Lazy! Lolol

S

stefen

Hey all,

This is just an idea a had a while back and wanted your opinions to see if it would work.you'll have to excuse me cuz i am pretty new to this!

when i was soil sampling for a mining company a couple of years back we used these hand auger/drills like these ones AMS Soil Augers

my thought was that would these be good for obtaining samples at bedrock without accually having to dig down that far?these would not work though in very rocky ground.

Please let me know your opinions on this.it might be useful,or there again it might not be plausible.
I remember going down as far as 6 metres with one of this augers,and could probably have gone alot deeper.
so bassically i was thinking you could drill down deep and pan whatever you take up.

anyways let me know what you think!thanks all!

-Karl

The concept has much merit and can prove to be valid depending on the geological conditions encountered.

Core samplers are very inexpensive and could prove to be a great assett.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the thought to carry a post hole digger, but those things are so heavy and once you run into a largish rock you're done so you'd still need to carry a shovel.

But if you're in smaller material, they make 2 & 3" bulb augers for drills.

9324_24inchBulbAuger_0275.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread