gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, check the summer time papers for articles about gatherings at the old grove, or resort. I found one lead on a nice old picnic grove from the 1880's doing this, and I learned of another old park on the lake I can hit. I also learned of an old ski slope from the twenties from a newspaper article published in the seventies. But by far, I have learned most of my spots from word of mouth from other tectorists, and old wise guys.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow....I use them a lot.
Murders and thefts...horse theives...robberies...fires and floods. A lot of the fairgrounds today aren't in the same place as years ago...

A few articles I've found ...a contractors cash of several thousand dollars lost in a flood, horse theives making away with anything not tied down and where their hideout was...a man shot and killed and his money stolen and never recovered when they captured the killer...

All those neat little stories tucked away in the pages of the old papers. I think that some stories are treasures in themselves when you see how people lived back in them days and the crazy things that happened...like hanging a 15 year old girl or tarring and feathering someone.

you'll be suprised what you find.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread