Using Baking poweder for coin cleaning. Before/after pics!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is a simple method of coin cleaning using two simple ingredients. :wink:

First you need a bowl with a water enough to cover the object to be cleaned.

Now put the object in there, add a bit of baking powder, much is not required.

Let it sit there for a while, take a look at it every 5-10 min.

When ready rinse under running water and then remove any possible remains of dirt on it with a damp paper or cloth.
Then dry it with a dry paper or cloth. You might have to repeat it on some coins.

Before cleaning:
DSC00078.JPG
DSC00079.JPG

After cleaning:
DSC00085.JPG
DSC00086.JPG

Good Hunting!
Eu

Attachments

• DSC00085.JPG
    DSC00085.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 2,235
  • DSC00079.JPG
    DSC00079.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 2,236
  • DSC00078.JPG
    DSC00078.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,213
  • DSC00086.JPG
    DSC00086.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 2,216

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eu_citzen said:
BuckleBoy said:
Is that coin silver?
40%, yes.

Cool! I have one or two more questions, if you get a chance to reply... Did you just soak the coin in the baking soda water? No rubbing? Does the water need to be warm/hot? I am very curious as to how this works, if the baking soda causes some sort of reaction or something. I have used a baking soda paste to polish common silver coins that were heavily oxidized before, but never done just a soak. Your results are fantastic. Have you tried this with coins that had a higher silver content?

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BuckleBoy said:
Eu_citzen said:
BuckleBoy said:
Is that coin silver?
40%, yes.

Cool! I have one or two more questions, if you get a chance to reply... Did you just soak the coin in the baking soda water? No rubbing? Does the water need to be warm/hot? I am very curious as to how this works, if the baking soda causes some sort of reaction or something. I have used a baking soda paste to polish common silver coins that were heavily oxidized before, but never done just a soak. Your results are fantastic. Have you tried this with coins that had a higher silver content?

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy
Sure Budd.
I just soaked it in the baking soda water, yes. No rubbing.

I've never tried to use hot water, I use it as it comes out of the water tap. :wink:

I've tried it on coins with higher silver content, but then it doesn't remove as much (if any) oxides, only dirt.
For older silver it works well in another manner. Working on pics on higher silver content. :wink:

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Before cleaning:
DSC00069.JPG
DSC00072.JPG

After:
DSCF2935.JPG
DSCF2940.JPG

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
powder. :icon_thumleft:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eu_citzen said:

:sign13:

If it works better on lower percentages of silver content, then it should work well on our silver nickels from WWII, as well as the 40% silver half dollars. 8)

Thanks for the tip, Eu! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BuckleBoy said:
Eu_citzen said:

:sign13:

If it works better on lower percentages of silver content, then it should work well on our silver nickels from WWII, as well as the 40% silver half dollars. 8)

Thanks for the tip, Eu! :thumbsup:
It's more about how heavy the oxidization is, as seen on the higher silver % coin it does help, but only a little at a time.
That's why it might be needed to repeat it.

Cosmic,
Your welcome.

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
If you have some copper coins (NOT valuable ones!), try soaking them in water with a little cream of tartar. Not sure if it would work with silver, but it makes coppers bright....

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Zephyr,
Baking powder works for copper, alumunim, silver, brass, bronze, copper/nickel alloys. It's about the only method I need.
Except for heavily encrusted silver and similar bad coins, also old coins which are best treated with olive oil. :read2:

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Powder works to. :wink:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the original post says baking powder, not baking soda. You're confusing the issue.
M :help: nty

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this.. Baking powder is a solid mixture that is used as a chemical leavening agent in baked goods. It can be composed of a number of materials, but usually contains baking soda (sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3), cream of tartar (potassium bitartrate, C4H5KO6), and cornstarch. (A base, an acid, and a filler respectively.) Baking powder is made by generating these solids, combining them in unique proportions, and then transferring them to packaging. First developed in the mid 1800s, baking powder formulations have changed little since.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cosmic said:
I found this.. Baking powder is a solid mixture that is used as a chemical leavening agent in baked goods. It can be composed of a number of materials, but usually contains baking soda (sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3), cream of tartar (potassium bitartrate, C4H5KO6), and cornstarch. (A base, an acid, and a filler respectively.) Baking powder is made by generating these solids, combining them in unique proportions, and then transferring them to packaging. First developed in the mid 1800s, baking powder formulations have changed little since.

But that doesn't change anything because the method is washing soda and those that use baking soda, or baking powder, just didn't get it right. That's not to say the use of washing soda doesn't make some bad a$$ cookies! Emmm! Emmm! ...bubble..bubble.. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread