Using Baking poweder for coin cleaning. Before/after pics!

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
I've used baking powder before on some really toasted coppers an had good effects. I heat the water in a microwave put aluminum foil int he bottom of a glass dish and put th epowder on the coind and pour in the hot water. It foams and fizzes and almost always gets you a date. I reserve that cleaning as a last resort to get a date as it is harsh.

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
I second the baking soda and aluminum foil process. Make sure you put it in a glass or plastic bowl and not anything metal. It is a great way to take the tarnish off silverware quickly and it works well on silver coins as well. I've never tried it on copper.

VERDI-CHEMIST

May 20, 2010
OHIO
All of these are fine if you guys don't mind having a cleaned (and ruined) coin. Collectors would prefer to have the surfaces original and uncleaned. You'll get more for your coins if they are uncleaned.

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
VERDI-CHEMIST said:
All of these are fine if you guys don't mind having a cleaned (and ruined) coin. Collectors would prefer to have the surfaces original and uncleaned. You'll get more for your coins if they are uncleaned.

Oh Darn! I thought they preferred having coins cleaned with Scotch brite! ::)

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
VERDI-CHEMIST said:

Uncleaned coins are great but when the coin is so toasted that you have no way to make an ID it doesn't do a collector much good. Step 1 water, step 2 acetone. step 3 peroxide step4 elctrolysis aluminum foil trick last resort

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use baking powder in my micro sand blaster for cooked artifacts. It is abrasive enough, smaller than 5/1000s probably closer to 1 or 2 thousands and you can see your progress as its being cleaned. If you try this technique, start with the tip away from item being cleaned and slowly get it closer until you see progress. You can back the tip off slowing the amount of pressure and abrasive giving you control. If any one tries this, use a old penny to give you an idea of the removal rate dictating the pressure used and also starting points. Keep the tip a constant distance once you find it giving you a nice even cleaning. Remember the key word, micro abrasive. Arty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions