Using GPS to plot artifacts/site

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
Absolutely!
What I do is use old aerial photos or topo maps of a suspected good site, overlay them on Google Earth (free download), get the Latitude and Longitude of the site, and program it into my handheld GPS as a waypoint. When near the the desired area, the GPS will guide me to it within a few yards.
Also, each finds' location can be saved as a waypoint for later analysis for any pattern of good stuff.
GPS is a great tool!
Pete

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
absolutely! As stated above you can use it with a mapping program and all other research you do & save a lot of ground pounding. The other plus is you can save your maps and continue your search even years later. Or if you have a lot of time to look at Google Earth, you'll be amazed at how many places you'll find & wonder why you walked right past them. Once you get used to your unit you'll wonder how you got along without it before

necsteve

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2008
I have a Garmin Etrex with a data cable...got it cheap at walmarts.
If you sign up for Google Earth Plus for 20 bucks a year...you can import your waypoints and tracks right into the
local data tables and keep track of where you went. (works with garmin and magellan units) The signup also gets you a very high
print resolution and higher data speed.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
madmacabre said:
Oh man now im tempted to buy another new toy, must....not.. use.. credit card... :happy2:

Don't fret! Don't use the credit card, pull cash out of an ATM and pay cash! Then when the wife asks you can honestly say you didn't charge your new tool :D ::) ::) ;D key word TOOL toys aren't considered necessary. But a TOOL is a necessary gotsta have ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread