Using Inspection ROV

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
Well to start the list of ROV problems:

1. Water visability. ROV's can't identify anything using the braille method.

2. Water current. ROV's can't swim against any real current.

3. Expense.

Dinkydick
Retired commercial diver (53 years).

OP
OP

6shippers

Ya there can be problems with identifying things. If you are only going to be observing or mapping an area though, a lot of the time ROV?s could be a good alternative to divers.

But that brings up another problem and my only real complaint over the years. ROV?s can?t handle the current.

Forever I was looking for mods or techniques for ROV?s such as the Benthos mini rover to handle the current.

There is one ROV that I did try out in Florida a bit ago called the NovaRay. It has no problems with the current at all. It is pretty neat actually. And you can attach sonar to it and just tow it behind the boat up to like 9 knots or something, with no problems in mapping or getting video footage.

Expense is one issue though, but I am seriously considering buying one of these with some partners.

Does anybody have experience on the Novaray, or does anybody have any tips or mods for operating other ROVs in current and towing.

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
Yes I agree with most of your comments. However, when you deploy a ROV over the side in current
you not only have the limited power that the ROV can deliver, you have the drag on the control cable
the current will effect. The more wire the more drag until the cable drag overcomes the ROV power
limits then the ROV will go backwards with the current. If you use the ROV upstream from the current
you have the same problem with the ROV sailing in the breeze.

If you are operating in gin clear water, why do you need a ROV?

You had better get a ROV with alot of positioing hardware. Without transpounders and processing
software you have no idea where the ROV is at at any one time or which way it is looking. Trust me, I am working on building a powerfull ROV that can be operated from a small boat.

A few years ago a vessel by the name of "Deep Sea" came to my town. I had a chance to go aboard and look at the ROV they had aboard. First off it cost $250,000.00. The crew was looking for shipwrecks in waters that approached 1000 feet. They searched mostly the entire southern coast of Florida on the east side. I believe that Oceaneering was footing the bill but I am not sure of this. The ROV looked great but it still had the same problems.

I am really interested in this this thread and would like some input from anyone.

Dinkydick

OP
OP

6shippers

I agree with all your comments. The nice thing about this Noavray ROV is its wing design counters the cable drag and works with the currents. You don?t have this problem.

What I am talking about using an ROV for is just mapping and observation. Even if you are in gin clear water, having an inspection class ROV with little limitations being able to observe and document areas could save a lot of time.

Not that I would ever want to stop diving or think that divers are going to be replaced, but technology is getting better. If there are ways to get around using divers, is that a good thing? Plus you are always going to have to have divers for the salvage.

I am curious to hear more on this too.

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
Take a look at my first attempt.

It is under SHIPWRECKS - ROV Reply #3 on Feb 11, 2005.

I dove it to 475 feet.

Dinkydick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread