Using "Smart Phones" While Searching For Stuff?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Using "Smart Phones" While Searching For Stuff?

I have seen this brought up now in a couple of threads. Do you use a "smart phone" to research your finds in the field? I can work a lot of stuff from memory, but every now and then I have to call someone on my primitive cell phone and get them to search items for me on teh interwebz.

Should I get one of these? I really don't want one due to fear of contracts and high bills for excessive internet use. I also don't want to be one of those people constantly staring into a cell phone in public.

padlock

Mar 28, 2010
Ann Arbor MI
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Re: Using "Smart Phones" While Searching For Stuff?

I have the I phone 4 and I use it all the time to research items that i may not know about. I dont how ever do it while standing and looking at it. i will step a way and google it

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.

hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
I have seen this brought up now in a couple of threads. Do you use a "smart phone" to research your finds in the field? I can work a lot of stuff from memory, but every now and then I have to call someone on my primitive cell phone and get them to search items for me on teh interwebz.

Should I get one of these? I really don't want one due to fear of contracts and high bills for excessive internet use. I also don't want to be one of those people constantly staring into a cell phone in public.

I use my iphone all the time on the quest (saved research web sites, Ebay sales ect..), can't know everything. It has also has saved me from buying things I thought might be good finds. The $$ I make using it on the road at; garage sales, thrifts, auctions ect... easily covers my whole families cell phone bill. If someone asks (happens on occasion) I usually just say I'm texting one of my kids. As for you getting one, that's a personal decision.
Best of luck!

skfloyd

Dec 18, 2009

I use mine all the time...I'm still new to the game so if I didn't have it I would have probably bought a bunch of worthless crap by now. I use the Ebay app. on my Droid where you can search current listings, completed listings and my favorite, completed sold listings. I also use it to Google alot of gold and silver makers marks. I agree if your an active hunter it will more than pay for itself and save you alot of time.

J-dude

Sep 14, 2010
Greenacres WA

I use my iPhone 4 with the ebay app to search sold listings as well as how many of what Im looking at are listed. I also google search items and lots of times if I do not find the info Im looking for then I go with my gut. If there is an item I need to look up I try to do it away from people (especially the seller).

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am on the "business" and all I can say is get used to it... its going to get worse or better depending how you see things... and its not a bad thing. We all should be connected... its just the way things are... and until you get one you won't realize how handy and useful they are. Of course you need to learn how to use them but that is the fun part... BTW hold off a few weeks the NEW iphone 5 is coming out!

chukers

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX

I not only use it in the ways mentioned above, but I'll give you one more:

When I find In Box kind of stuff, not vintage, but unopen current type items, I use a bar-code reader app. It scans the barcode through the camera of my phone, then searches the web for that product and tells me current market prices.

- Kevo

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I use mine all the time and it has saved me from buying "useless crap" as well. LOL! I often pretend like I'm texting while I'm really looking up completed listings on Ebay.....

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Also, it is a great way to keep in touch with your customers. I find myself answering questions on the road all the time.

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Yep...for all the reasons above.

Also use it as my GPS.
The craigslist app, keep me up to date when new yard sales are posted, and a few other other "goodies" that I have notices set for.

GT

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001

Don't be afraid of investing on a smart phone. It basically paid for itself while I was buying a Rado watch from a pawn shop. They were asking $895 for a beautiful, slightly used, Original Rado Diastar Chronograph. I googled it on the spot and found it offered brand new for $995 on Ebay. I showed it to the store's manager and right away offered $500 for the watch, which he immediately accepted after seeing the offer online! :headbang: After further research the same watch was offered in another site for $1200 new.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi! Barclay you have the money go for it. I'm 66 and I have one and it's the best thing I've bought besides my lap top. Your never to old to learn. Charlie

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011

I don't even own a computer anymore. I literally do everything, including post on this site, on my droid 2 global.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bazinga said:
For somebody that is always bragging about how great they are and how smart they are, you would think they would be doing something with their life where $80/month isn't a big deal.
That's kind of like the pot calling the kettle black isn't it Brian? I mean you talk of your great finds at sales but you never actually show any of them. Why is that? Oh yeah, you don't have the time. :icon_scratch: ::) ::)
Put your pictures where your mouth is, and I don't mean photos of your granny's stuff either.

Back on subject, I do not use a smart phone. The topic was brought up recently by someone else too. I will finally break down and get one in the very near future. Why don't I have one yet? Personally, I just don't like cell phones and only use mine for making and receiving phone calls even though my phone does have internet capabilities. Also, I have bad eyes and the screens are so small. I prefer my notebook.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diggummup said:
That's kind of like the pot calling the kettle black isn't it Brian? I mean you talk of your great finds at sales but you never actually show any of them. Why is that? Oh yeah, you don't have the time. :icon_scratch: ::) ::)
Put your pictures where your mouth is, and I don't mean photos of your granny's stuff either.

Here ya go, some of my summer finds that I haven't felt like selling yet. I think this is most of the items I mentioned in a previous thread.

Attachments

• IMG_20110930_234057.jpg
    IMG_20110930_234057.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_20110930_234107.jpg
    IMG_20110930_234107.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_20110930_234125.jpg
    IMG_20110930_234125.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_20110930_234152.jpg
    IMG_20110930_234152.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_20110930_234204.jpg
    IMG_20110930_234204.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_20110930_234328.jpg
    IMG_20110930_234328.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 448

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO

I just got an Android from Cricket. (I'm averse to contracts). One of the threads you saw may have been mine. I'm not going to tell you how to use it because my locale is THICK with treasure hunters, and we have to keep our secrets. I think I almost paid for the phone on my first trip out with it (I'm confident I paid this month's bill). I didn't buy some things I would have ordinarily(without the on-the-spot research). Also I scored some designer jewelry that I fully expect to make 4X investment, and possibly 10X. I would have walked away without it, lacking ability to research. Already I'm thinking that I'd be happier with a pad more than a phone, but live and learn. At least I don't have a two year contract.

Seriously, 6 months or so ago, I posted virtually the same question as you have. LOTS of ppl said go IPhone. I'll paraphrase what a computer guru once said about buying your first computer . . ."Dont sweat about getting the perfect first smartphone, just get one. Later, you'll know just what you want for your perfect 2nd smartphone."

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees

Here ya go, some of my summer finds that I haven't felt like selling yet. I think this is most of the items I mentioned in a previous thread.[/quote At least you didn't show anything unusual to give the 4500 tnet lurkers ideas (so they list the same items and drive your price down). Woolrich jacket's anyone?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diggummup said:
I do not use a smart phone._ Personally, I just don't like cell phones and only use mine for making and receiving phone calls even though my phone does have internet capabilities. Also, I have bad eyes and the screens are so small.

:thumbsup:

My phone is a Phone. has one use. Sending & Receiving
phone calls when Necessary.

I Canceled Internet & Text Sending & Receiving capabilities
on it.

I agree the cost & size make them unusable to me.
Even when phoning someone,
or looking to see who is calling,
The info is too small to see.

some of my Hunting buddies have them,
And they Have been Helpfull on sites,
but untill they make one that floates along side me,
(Holographic)
& is the size of a regular Computer Screen,
that can be added free of charge to my "phone" bill.

& Solar or Nuclear !!!! Never needs charging.

Perhaps with a self Destruct, if ever stolen.

"Smart Phones" are definately not for me

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

I have an iPhone 3G...I am waiting for the new iPhone 5.

I absolutely love my iPhone.

That phone has saved me more money and time than you would imagine. I can think of 50 things right off the top of my head where the iPhone was helpful in buying and selling.

I recently looked at a pedal car that was priced at $100...thankfully I had my iPhone...it kept me from making a stupid, idiot purchase!

I also love the look up feature on Safari. I recently stumbled into some scrap, and easily called my local scrap yard. I found out that I could make a fast $40 on part of the scrap, but another portion of the scrap, I would have lost $30. So, I bought the good stuff, and scrapped it for a fast profit before I got home.

One word of caution though...if you use the eBay app on a 3G or 3GS, I don't think that the completed sales are 100% correct. It seems to me that eBay has changed something on the completed sales portion of the app to where it isn't as complete...I don't know how to explain it...but use it as a guide, not as your only resource.

For instance, I just found a vintage camera, and looked it up on my iPhone through the ebay app. It showed about 10 cameras that sold for $200-$400, but it only showed about 3 no sales on the completed listings. I spent $105 for that camera, and when I got home and looked it up on my home computer, the price ranges ran from $50 to $400, nearly all of them on the low end, and tons of no sales.

It is misleading, IMO, so use it as a guide, not as your only resource!!!!!!

Anyone wanna buy a camera for $106?? LOL.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bazinga said:
diggummup said:

Here ya go, some of my summer finds that I haven't felt like selling yet. I think this is most of the items I mentioned in a previous thread.
Actually, I meant start your own thread, not hijack this one anymore than I already have. Contribute to this page in a positive manner rather than making diminutive remarks all the time. I had a long post for you but I decided to delete it, because in the end it won't accomplish anything. Have a good one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread