USMC Dog Tag

aloysius

Nov 28, 2004
Hi all,
The dog tag was not a recent find but one made a couple of years ago at St Clair beach in Otago, New Zealand. (I was just reading one of the stories about a tag, which prompted me to write.) Somewhere in the house I'm sure I still have it, but I'm buggered if I can put my hands on it at the moment! Anyhow, when I do find it, what is the best way to return it? Quite a while ago I looked up websites for the USMC and emailed one that I thought would be appropriate, but got no reply, not even a suggestion as to where to go. Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Rick.

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I believe another dog tag finder was suggested to call his local VA Administrative office for advise.
But if you're still in NZ, that doesn't apply. You may wish to post a pic of the tag though I'd quickly
defer to others' opinion if they suggest not to.

OP
OP
A

aloysius

Nov 28, 2004
Re: USMC Dog Tag: UPDATE

Hi guys,
I finally found the tag. Not sure if i should post details, but I would like to return it to the owner or family, so here goes.

Lewis J.
USMC M
Catholic

If anybody can help in any way for me to return it, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks guys,
Rick.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The number that you listed is incomplete, it should be a 9 digit number unless its a really old dogtag. I don't think you should post the complete number if you have it as it's the Marine's (USA citizen's) social security number (SSN) which could be used by scumbags for identity theft unless you totally trust the person and send it to them in a PM. I am a USMC veteran (1998-2002) and would love to hear that the dog tag was returned to the owner or the next of kin, goodluck with your search.

While I was in the USMC (United States Marine Corps) I was lucky enough to go to Brisbane Australia for 2 weeks, while its not New Zealand, maybe the dogtag was lost while on R&R (rest & recuperation). While I was in Australia I had the time of my life, someday I have to go back, I love the people and your country and I'm sure New Zealand is just such a paradice!!!

Thanks for posting, Semper Fidelis (its the USMC moto - which means "Always Faithfull")

OP
OP
A

aloysius

Nov 28, 2004
Thanks for that. It's definitely only 7 digits, but in good nick. Is there an email address I can write to that will definitely help. USMC reords? Or something along those lines?

Appreciate your help.
Cheers,
Rick.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aloysius said:
Thanks for that. It's definitely only 7 digits, but in good nick. Is there an email address I can write to that will definitely help. USMC reords? Or something along those lines?

Appreciate your help.
Cheers,
Rick.

I hate to say it but I have no concrete idea where to start. Maybe you could start by going to:
https://iris.va.gov/scripts/iris.cfg/php.exe/enduser/cci/phonenbrs.php

or maybe calling the toll free number: 1-800-827-1000 and try to talk to an operator to direct you to the appropriate channel. I wish you all the luck in the world my friend...

OP
OP
A

aloysius

Nov 28, 2004
Thanks for the quick reply and I'll have a crack at it, and let you know in due course, the outcome.

Cheers,
Rick.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou my friend, goodluck on your journey!!!

Semper Fi

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,573
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,400
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,392
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,350
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,397
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,410
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,360
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,423
OP
OP
A

aloysius

Nov 28, 2004
Great photos! Well, we're making some progress. I got onto that link and sent a message, a reply to which, I'm supposed to get within five days.
Will keep you posted!

Cheers,
Rick.

P.S. We have a series playing on TV over here at the moment called 'Pacific' Gualdacanal and so on in WW2. I don't envy you guys in combat at all! (But I admire your guts!)

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Here's a link to determine the time frame of the dog tag: http://users.skynet.be/jeeper/page82.html (it seems to refer to Army only, which I think could still pertain to all services?)

Here's another one like the above: http://www.mooremilitaria.com/dog_tags.htm

http://www.militarydogtags.com/uses/military/ (this one breaks down what is on the dog tag)

Try this link to get ahold of USMC: http://www.defense.gov/faq/pis/pc04mltr.html (if you let them know you found dog tags and would like to return them, I am sure someone there would be able to assist.)

If you wish, you could PM me the full info on the tag and I will do a search for you. A member had found dog tags (in the Philipines) and I located the next of kin. That was exciting. Unfortnately, the tags were never returned, they wanted (or his partner wanted) like $10,000 for the return. Whatever! Anyways, I made a new friend out of it. The woman, who was the niece of the dog tag, her father was still living and they did a newspaper article on him about the tags. That was his brother!

But just let me know and I'd be happy to help out.
Annmarie
PS: Great Find!
PSS: I was part of RonandAnn on here, then I got my own acct, from which I am writing from now. My hubby is now Minelab Ron. So post you see from Minelab Ron (formerly RonandAnn)....LOL, they were all made by me, hubby does not respond, just reads!

BTW, here's a wonderful story of Marines taking care of their own and persistence pays off! http://www.marines.mil/unit/hqmc/Pages/TakingCareofOurOwn.aspx

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aloysius,
My bet is that you have an old (pre-70's) dog-tag. It's shape can tell us what vintage, but as an old Marine I'd wager it is WW-II vintage. The numbers you cited are the Marine's serial or service number. The M stands for his gas mask size. Unusual is the fact that the blood-type is missing. The absence of the blood type is probably another indicator of the dog tag's age.
Lady Digger's info is spot on. She's got her stuff together and has given you the info you'll need to help find the owner if he still survives.
Best wishes, good luck, and thanks for taking care of the Marine's gear. If you can find this Marine and return the tag, I'd bet it will bring back a flood of memories.
Steve L
U. S. Marine
1975 - 1977 and 1981 - 2004

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is a really interesting find and I'll be watching for some positive results.

I also found a DogTag (U.S. Army WW2 era) and due to Annmarie's (Ladydigger) and some others was able to get a name and address within hours of the find! AND ... they had photos of the soldier's high school grad photo as well as photos of his parents. Amazing possibilities on this forum.

In case you might want to peruse my experience here is the link (from Honorable Mention): http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,203455.0.html It had a very happy conclusion.

Gotta Love this hobby.

HH Joe

twd22

Jun 5, 2008
This is the first time I have replied to a message. I thought I may be able to help with your search. I joined the Marine Corps as a senior in high school in the delayed entry plan in November, 1963. I left for Parris Island three days after graduation in June, 1964. At that time, the military did not use social security numbers on dog tags. You were issued a military service number. I figured that the Marine Corps started at 0000001 and went up. At the time I entered the Corps my seven digit number started 209----. I would give the entire number, but I still use it for various passwords, etc. I would guess the dog tag you found would be from the World War II or Korea era.
A few years ago I met a customer at my place of work who was stationed at the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico, Virginia. We got to talking and he found out I was in 2nd Battilon, 4th Marines in Vietnam. A few weeks later he came back and gave me several autographed books about the 4th Marines in Vietnam during the period I served there.

I do not know if this will help, but you could get in touch with someone there. They may be able to help you. Semper Fi, Tom

hidin

May 19, 2007
Bailey, Colorado
I really hope you are able to return this tag. My late husband was a Corps vet(1986-1990) and I know what a return like this would mean. Good luck in your hunt.

OP
OP
A

aloysius

Nov 28, 2004
Ok, here we go again, this time!

Attachments

• dog tag.jpg
    dog tag.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 4,655
OP
OP
A

aloysius

Nov 28, 2004
Annemarie,
If this photo helps (or everybody who can for that matter, that would be great!)
P.S. Being a technophobe, it's taken about 2 hours to get the photo in!!! I just soooooo love computers! Yeah right!

Cheers for any help guys,
Rick.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hi Rick,

Just arrived home abit ago, tried to search, but to no avail. I called my local USMC Recruiting Office. They are not in, but left my name and number with a brief message about the dog tag. I will post tomorrow evening after I speak with them. I asked them if they could give me a POC to finding this man as you had wished to return it to either him or next of kin. I did tell them where it was found as well.

I doubt I will hear back tonight, but I will be home tomorrow about 3-330pm and told them they could return my call then or I will call them back if I don't hear from them by 4 pm! But they are 5 mins up the road from me, just may take a ride up there instead! ;) I'll show them the posting too!

The site I usually go to find service records, I can not locate, either it's not online anymore, or they changed the link (UGH), but I will continue to work on this and get the info back to you.

From a Vet of the US Navy, I want to Thank You for wanting to return this a fellow shipmate. He may have been in the Marines and I may have been in the Navy, but we are in the fight together! ;)

I'm surprised they don't have his full first name?

Until tomorrow evening!
Annmarie
PS: Thanks for posting a photo!

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aloysius,
The photo helps a lot! The shape of the tag is post WW-II and Post-Korean War. The Tag also bears the Marine's Blood Type -- O. The shape of the Tag and the use of a service number vice Social Security Number suggests that the Marine was a Viet Nam era service member.
WW-II and Korean War dog-tags, while oval, were much more round than the longer modern tags. Some of those old tags bore a "notch" on the edge opposite the hole where the chain was worn. I suspect the notch was used to hold the tag in place while stamping the service member's information.
Again, I wish you the best in finding the Marine. Given the fact that it is much later than WW-II and Korea, there is a much greater likelihood that you'll find a live veteran to return the tag to.
With Anne Marie on the case, I'm confident she'll hit pay-dirt!
Semper Fidelis,
Steve L.

OP
OP
A

aloysius

Nov 28, 2004
Fantastic guys! (in both senses of the phrase!) I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Rick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions