USNA gold ring(Updated w/ return 9/12/07)

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit a private yard today of an early 1800's house, got a strong screwcap signal (another good example to ...dig ALL signals) and 4 inches down this United States Naval Academy gold ring rolled out. There is a name engraved inside with United States Navy engraved underneath his name. This gentleman is no longer with us but he was an admiral. I have a call in to his daughter to let her know I have found her Dad's ring and am waiting to hear from her to get it back to her. There is no gold content engraved in the ring but I am assuming it is at least 10k.

Attachments

• USNA ring.jpg
    USNA ring.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,472
  • USNA engraving.jpg
    USNA engraving.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,475
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: USNA gold ring

Ramitt said:
Very cool find and nice thing you are doing. Have you ever heard back?

Ramitt..the daughter is on the West Coast until Sept. and I will have to wait to talk with her then. I did find out her Dad graduated from Annapolis in 1924,so the ring is USNA class of 1924.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow... that's a great ring, looks like it was worn proudly for many years!

OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Postalrevnant said:
Maine,

You never disappoint. I have been gone from the board from a while, and of course I came back and saw the ring you returned earlier and the great story behind it, and now I see another great find.

I knew when I could return to typing that I would be sure to see some great finds from you.

Congratulations,

Postalrevnant

Post....good to see ya back on here, was wondering what happened to ya. Hope all is well.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2

That is really a wonderful find,you really find some great stuff out there. I think the daughter will be just thrilled to get that ring it really is a looker. You say that the man was an admiral maybe you can do some research and see what sort of actions he may have been involved in,if he graduated in 24 I would say he would be a pretty high rank by WW2. Now get out there and collect on some of that karma you must be stockpiling and find something you dont have to give away :}

OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shootist said:
That is really a wonderful find,you really find some great stuff out there. I think the daughter will be just thrilled to get that ring it really is a looker. You say that the man was an admiral maybe you can do some research and see what sort of actions he may have been involved in,if he graduated in 24 I would say he would be a pretty high rank by WW2. Now get out there and collect on some of that karma you must be stockpiling and find something you dont have to give away :}

Shootist....have already researched some on him and will get more info from his daughter when I return the ring. From what I have found he was a commander on the U.S.S. Casco(AVP-12), a seaplane tender, in WWII and she was torpedoed in the Aleutians. I will know more after speaking with his daughter.

OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After researching some I located who the daughter was and finally contacted her. It was her fathers class of 1924 USNA ring, her father passed away in 1963 and she later gave the ring to her now ex-husband who lost it in the early 1970's. She wanted to give the ring to her son so he could give it to her grandson who is named after her father and was depressed the ring was lost and thought she'd never see it again. Needless to say she was ecstatic when I returned the ring to her today and wanted to give me a reward, which I refused, for the smile on her face was reward enough!!!

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Mainedigger said:
After researching some I located who the daughter was and finally contacted her. It was her fathers class of 1924 USNA ring, her father passed away in 1963 and she later gave the ring to her now ex-husband who lost it in the early 1970's. She wanted to give the ring to her son so he could give it to her grandson who is named after her father and was depressed the ring was lost and thought she'd never see it again. Needless to say she was ecstatic when I returned the ring to her today and wanted to give me a reward, which I refused, for the smile on her face was reward enough!!!

Absolutely fantastic! This hobby can be very rewarding for everyone involved.

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Beautiful find. maybe its just me but I get goosebumps eveytime I hear of someone getting a cherished ring returned to them and even more of a love one past.

Any other goosebumpers out there? ;D

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Again, Congratulations on the find and return of the ring. It would have been nice to get a picture of her with the ring. Definately a Banner Story .
HH Roy

zartan7779

Dec 3, 2006
new hampshire
Detector(s) used
a cheap $75.00 ebay one
THAT is so awsome man .

love the great story and i am glad to see that the son can recieve the ring now

I have my grandfathers Army air corps ring which one day ill pass on .

thanks again

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Beautiful Ring!!! And KUDOS to you for returning such a beautiful momento to that young lady!!!

It's almost like you were meant to find it to give it back to her...letting her know her father was thinking of her!!!!

Happy Hunting....
Annmarie

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and awesome job of researching and returning the ring!!! I know that smile you created, worth much more than a gold ring. Congrats and HH, Mike

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Bergie said:
CONTACT "ALL HANDS" NAVY'S MAGAZINE TO PUBLISH THIS GREAT STORY. See if the daughter will talk to them. Here's the link and link to contact page.
http://www.navy.mil/allhands.asp
http://www.navy.mil/contacts.asp

Wow....great idea Bergie....I hope she goes for it!!! That would be a wonderful story to tell!! I'll keep my eyes peeled to the ALL HANDS for the upcoming issue of this wonderful story!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread