Utah....Filing a claim?

T

treasurejack

Apparently, the Ashley FS sent me out of date info, so could someone please tell me where I can find this "up to date" info on line? (Something I can download & print.) I have had all kinds of info sent to me, but everytime I make an inquiry to check on this info I get, "No, that info is not correct," or "the info they sent you is out of date, some things have changed since then." Man, is it always this hard to find the correct info on these ever changing laws and regs? If someone could lead me to an up to date online source I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

T

TreasureTales

Rummage through this website (below). ICMJ Magazine's website is the most comprehensive and up-to-date source for info on mining and prospecting on federal and state lands I know of, especially for the independent guy. It has many links that will help you find the info you seek.

http://www.icmj.com/AdditionalResources.htm

I'd just like to add that you are not the only person having trouble finding and then understanding the rules. Everyone has trouble finding the current and understandable regulations and laws. That is why two lawsuits of a similar nature have been dismissed - due to confusing and often contradictory regs. You can read the dismissals of legal actions against miners on the website provided. The two legal cases provided may be your best insurance policy when prospecting on federal lands - just my personal opinion - take it for what it's worth. ;) Additionally, IF anyone is cited by a ranger, be sure to have that ranger concisely state which law or regulation you are alleged to be violating. Know your Constitutional rights! You must be charged with a specific violation or crime. To do otherwise is a violation of your rights. And you can see in the court case, simply being charged with violating a vague regulation is not enough to have the charge stick.

But it is better to avoid such circumstances altogther. Use of a detector should be OK in most FS and BLM lands IF you don't remove anything 50 years of age or older, anything that is valuable (Rollex watch, for example), or you don't damage any plant or animal life. Again, just my interpretation of what I've read through the years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread