V3i - 3 way matrix

RCGoodin

Sep 12, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Detector(s) used
Just bought a used White's V3i. Can't wait to get it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'm new to my V3i and hunting. I run the standard Coin & Jewelry program. I ground balance about every 10 minutes. I start with my finger off the trigger. When I get a hit and the VDI falls in line with the spectrograph, I push the trigger forward to see what kind of bell curve I get. When I keep moving the coil over the hit, I get a different bell curve each time and it seems to be all over the place. I give in and pull the trigger forward to see which type of metal and depth I need to go.

I was wondering if there was a suggestion to tweak the program so the bell curve function would be more trustworthy. I keep hearing from others that you need to just keep digging and put up with the junk. I was hoping there was a more scientific tweaking that made sense.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
RC,
I also have a V3i that I recently bought and I am still learning it too. I think you are referring to the sizing option on the trigger forward mode. I have found that it is dependent on coil sweep speed and smoothness of your swing. I discovered that when I was pinpointing or using either the sizing option or the polar plot option that I wasn't as consistent in my swing speed and smoothness as when I was actively searching. When I corrected my swing speed when using "trigger forward" and narrowed my swing width over the target, I started getting a more consistent bell curve displayed with the 3 frequencies with the green (7.5Hz) on top when it was a GOOD target. I'm far from being as adept with the V3i as I have been with my DFX yet, but hope this helps.

OP
OP
RCGoodin

RCGoodin

Sep 12, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Trooper. How did the polar plot work for you? What size coil are you using? Mine came with the standard circle and 6x10" coil. So far I have only used the 6x10. Have you used any of the other programs?

You can see I have a lot to learn.

Thanks for your feedback.

40ton

May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind if the target is over 6 inches deep, the analyze display won't be accurate.

OP
OP
RCGoodin

RCGoodin

Sep 12, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind if the target is over 6 inches deep, the analyze display won't be accurate.

Would you use a different program for deeper than 6 inches?

40ton

May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't matter what program you are in. Usually if the target is deeper than 6 inches, the analysis display will be off. I really don't even use it. That's the nature of the V. It is another tool that is helpful in deciding to dig/ not dig, but as with any detector there is no 100% id at depth.
The stock c&j is a good program to start with but The V series is capable of much more. Eventually you will want to put together your own program tailored to your soil conditions.

OP
OP
RCGoodin

RCGoodin

Sep 12, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks 40ton......I'll play a little, and probably ask more questions.

Can you tweak a program and save it under a new, custom, name?

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Actually the polar plat analyses screen still shows that your target is in the proper quadrant after 6 inches. A little messy, but useful. That's the only analyses screen I use. If the target still points to the right side of the chart, that's a good thing.

40ton

May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you tweak a program and save it under a new, custom, name?
Yes-Yes and Yes.
Or you can save your favorite settings to common to apply it to all the programs.

<<Hint>> To speed up the recovery process watch the pinpoint display. In 3 frequency that gives you all the info you really need.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i been using the polor plot now on my v3i for quite a while along with basically all the sef coils out there i could try the one thing that definetly helpd me out when i was in the learnig phase of this machine was reading the advanced posts manual on it it makes a whole lot more sence then the manual itself hope it helps if someones looking for it and cant find it pm me and ill get the site to you definelty will help you understand the machine alot better

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions