Vacation yields SPANISH SILVER!!!!!!

R

robbuckalew

Went on vacation to North Carolina To visit the in-laws. I was at the beach and digging up modern stuff when I ran into this Older gentleman named Herb. We talked for a while and it seemed as if he took a liking to me because he asked me if I wanted to join him at his secret spot. I said sure, he looked as if he really needed some company, off we went.
We drove for about a half an hour when we finally stopped off this dirt road which seemed to be in the middle of nowhere.
He told me it was about a quarter mile walk into the woods. At this point I wondered if he was going to murder me and eat my liver :wink:

When we got there I thought to myself "this old man is crazy." There was nothing around but trees but I started swinging.
Half an hour later, not getting one hit I get a quarter signal and it was deep. Nine inches later The shimmer of silver was looking at me. At first I thought cool a silver quarter but after inspection I realized that it was not a quarter, it was not even from the United States . It turns out to be an 1818 2 reale!!! My heart was jumping out of my chest. At that point a let out a loud "wooohooo" Herb came over to see what I had found. I showed him the coin and he said "nice job kid"and reached into his pocket and pulled out 3 more spanish silver all 2 reales. I couldn't believe my eyes. That is when he said he has pulled out about 60-65 spanish silver reales at this spot. And only one other person knows about this spot other than me and you. We parted ways after a few more hours of hunting.
That was the only significant thing I found on vacation other than a cool story and a good friend. We exchanged phone numbers and will be keeping in touch.

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

Upvote 0
Vacation to in-laws...(gas , food )----- $500

Metal detector outfit-----------up to $1000

Meeting new friend and finding "treasure"................"PRICELESS "

(maybe some day that spot will be yours)........ :thumbsup:

Any of you novel readers would enjoy this possible twist to the story. "After finding the silver 2 Reales I decided to eat HIS liver and take this great spot for myself. Watch out though because eating organ meat can cause Gout. " ;D
Chris

Wow! Sounds like a fantastic spot!
Congratulations on your find and your Great New Friend!!
I have a brother who lives in NC. You've got me thinking
that I may just plan a trip and see what NC has to offer.
His daughter and son inlaw own a farm........... have to
find out some more info on that. Will have to research.
Happy Hunting!!

John

I will also be doing some research. North Carolina has a lot of serious history.

that one at the flea market was 1821 and a 8 reale . -- much bigger coin than the 1818 - 2 reale -- two reale like a quarter -- 8 reale is like a silver dollar

Personally, I would have been reluctant to go somewhere with a complete stranger in todays world. But anyways, sounds like your still alive and brave for doing what you did. Sounds like there is a treasure burried around there. Maybe you ought to do a night hunt ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back