Value of collectable items disappointing?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am constantly amazed at the low prices paid for many of our older finds. When I first got into meal detecting I was like most newbies, thinking most any old collectable find was worth a lot of money. But over time I found out that ebay is the guage and old found items are just not worth much. That's the main reason I keep so much of my junque and crape' instead of trying to sell it on ebay. There are exceptions of course and some old collectable items may fetch twice the normal market value, but they are few and far between. I see a lot of posts , usually from newbies wanting to know the value of their finds. You can tell by the tone of the inquiry they expect them to be worth several hundred $$$ only to find there is one of them on ebay for six bucks! Just an observation that I have been kicking around in my mind. Monty

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Part of the problem is in perception. We see a newpaper story showing a happy man surrouded by beautiful women holding bags of money because he found a 1795 gold 17¢ piece in with his old family lint collecton. Then, we find a gold 17¢ piece the next day and hoof it to the local coin shop.

You dig this?

Yessir, I sure did!

Can't use a pro. grading service for dug coins . . . I usually don't buy them. It could be artificially toned, too. Did you clean this?

Wiped the dirt off.

Yep. Cleaned - lowers the value. As would dirt still on it.

Well, what is it worth?

Book is $975,000 in About Uncirculated. I'll give you $1.38 if you don't track up my floor any more. (H'll probably try to sell it at 80% of book, and wants enough mark-up to finish his inground pool, pay off his cabin cruiser, educate three daughters who want to be doctors, etc. The usual mark-up).

You leave creastfallen. Like many things, condition is everything. Even the clad in your pocket doesn't grade very good on the 1 to 70 scale numistmatists use.

Buckles and buttons seem to have held up. ebaY has made it easier to buy and so chilled the market. There is now competition for formerly hard to locate items. A 1750 betty lamp loses it's shine when there are six more just like it for sale at any one time. On the other hand, you have a huge market of buyers.

Stuff remains the same worth it has always been - what someone else is willing to pay for it.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Part of the problem is in perception. We see a newpaper story showing a happy man surrouded by beautiful women holding bags of money because he found a 1795 gold 17¢ piece in with his old family lint collecton. Then, we find a gold 17¢ piece the next day and hoof it to the local coin shop.

You dig this?

Yessir, I sure did!

Can't use a pro. grading service for dug coins . . . I usually don't buy them. It could be artificially toned, too. Did you clean this?

Wiped the dirt off.

Yep. Cleaned - lowers the value. As would dirt still on it.

Well, what is it worth?

Book is $975,000 in About Uncirculated. I'll give you $1.38 if you don't track up my floor any more. (H'll probably try to sell it at 80% of book, and wants enough mark-up to finish his inground pool, pay off his cabin cruiser, educate three daughters who want to be doctors, etc. The usual mark-up).

You leave creastfallen. Like many things, condition is everything. Even the clad in your pocket doesn't grade very good on the 1 to 70 scale numistmatists use.

Buckles and buttons seem to have held up. ebaY has made it easier to buy and so chilled the market. There is now competition for formerly hard to locate items. A 1750 betty lamp loses it's shine when there are six more just like it for sale at any one time. On the other hand, you have a huge market of buyers.

Stuff remains the same worth it has always been - what someone else is willing to pay for it.

;D Charlie P. (NY) ,

your post is right on the button ;) ;D

have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Hey Monty, I'm sure there are going to be finds that no matter what will still be worth quite a bit. Those will be far and in between at best. I think the people that get into the hobby thinking about big money are the ones to walk out the door the soonest.

It's the people who are proud to have dug up that "Treasure" who stick around for the long run. My personal reason for wanting to go out and find more is this.......I love the idea of knowing that I retrieved something like a mercury dime or silver quarter, that would've otherwise spent an eternity underground. It had been there for decades, even before I was born, and here I come a lifetime later to change its fate and bring it home. That's what I like to know. Someone once kidded around asking me for one of my coins. I told them I'd buy them a brand new one on Ebay, but that one they could not have (Merc). Personally, unless I was in a real struggle, I would not sell any of my found coins, no matter how valuable or invaluable it was. This is a hobby for me, not business or work.

Best,
Ricardo

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My finds thus far are practicaly worthless on the market, but to me they are all treasure and when I look at he they bring back memories of the find and I wonder about the last person to touch them before me. I love history and that feeling of wonder just adds all the more to the enjoyment of the find. I am still searching for my Honus Wagner baseball card that I put away so I wouldn't lose it. I just got to thinking, I got lots of "stuff" I put up somewhere so I wouldn't lose it. Dang if I can find any of it! Another thought. Getting older sucks! Monty

MetalFury

May 25, 2006
New Jersey
I pretty much keep everything I find except the clad. To me, it's not the value of what I find but the thrill of never knowing what you'll dig up next. I've had my detector for just over a year now and have DEFINITELY found enough just in clad to pay it off. At last count I had turned in $228 in clad and my Ace250 had cost me $198...not a bad investment at all! That's not even counting the 10 silver rings I've found, 2 gold rings, 2 gold bracelets, 3 silver pendants, 12 silver coins, etc...
My BEST and favorite find though has got to be my 1851 Large Cent...I LOVE it! Just to hold something like that in my hand knowing that a person had once held it BEFORE the Civil War...amazing!

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
I see it as being more of a past/present divide...we are not many generations removed from civil war or the founding of our country for that matter...as for most collectables, the market for them is going to be driven by the people who REMEMBER them....Hop-a-Long who?....todays generation for the most part, have no time or interest in items that they know nothing about....sure, certain icons, i.e. Mickey Mouse will probably always be in demand...and I imagine some current fads will be worth some money 50 years from now..but if you want big bucks for your Roy Rogers lunchbox...better sell it now, the number people who remember him or have interest in him are shrinking as we speak
just my thoughts...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one thing you need to factor in on EBay.

There are probably over a Hundred Thousand Items for sale at any given time.

Alot of those Items Never even get looked at by anyone
but Friends of the Seller.

Unless at least 2 people are looking for that item
it dosn't have much chance.

It's not like a public Auction where people get caught
up in the bidding. but even then, it still takes 2 people
who think they want it more then the other.

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
As a long time Antiques dealer, I agree and know one thing. It was Ebay that killed the market. But first remember that most of these "things" were massed produced, ebay just made it possible to flood the market at one time with these "treasures". Making it a buyers market, unless you have something rare or key-date. Original Art works are one of the few items that there is only 1 of. Try and put a piece of jewelry on ebay, there's literally 10's of thousands of diamond rings on at any given time. >:(

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've collected and sold old bottles off and on for a few years. I find Ebay frustrating because too many people list moderately valuable oldies way too low. Often there are several listed at about where they should start, but the lower ones receive the most bids, naturally. Generally the truly valuable will get pushed to where they should be, but competing with the moderate and lower ones can be a lesson in frustration.
Luvsdux

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is amazing and somewhat disappointing at the same time when I see a newby ask, "How much is it worth"? Then someone answers four bucks and the newby wants to argue with you or him or her. People tend to think Grandpa's old pocket knife is probably worth a fortune when actually it's usually only valuable to the grandkids as a keep sake. That's what I am getting at. Most things I find aren't worth a whole lot and it's the exception rather than the rule to find a really valuable artifact. Since I don't sell any of mine it doesn't matter much to me but I know some routinely dispose of their junque and crape' on ebay. Monty

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
The value of something is determined more things than by its monetary value alone. For things that have a know monetary value - ie. clad. I am pleased to see that most people count and keep their clad and spend it on a dinner with the significant other, a detector upgrade, extra money on a vacation, and the like. They don't hit the clad container for batteries, gas, etc. It is truly "found" money and has a different kind of value. If you were detecting and trying to fund the real costs with your clad, you wouldn't make it too far - literally and figuratively. The value of the items in the not-clad category derive their value as remembrances of the find, the friends, the "bragging rights," and the whole experience. A flying Eagle or large cent is the same thing to a person who metal detects as that 12 point buck is to the hunter. One gets mounted and hung on the wall (wife willing) and the other gets brought out to show or teach.

I get the feeling that most of us here on TN understand this well. It's why we keep doing it. Try to learn from each other. Try to help people interested in the activity. I would be willing to bet that many (or maybe most) used detectors you see for sale are by people who got into the hobby thinking they could make a killing finding all this gold and silver, old artifacts, etc. They soon have a bucket of pull tabs and nails and can't figure out what's wrong. They get tired of not making money and quit. They didn't see the value in any of the things they found. Not even the funny story they could tell of the 43 pull tabs they pulled from the beach one sunny afternoon. They don't get it.

I think we all have a responsibility to talk the talk and walk the walk about metal detecting. Don't glorify it as something to get rich at. That will just suck in the people who want the money and they soon tire of the work and little reward and sell their stuff. If we don't keep the story of what it is really like out front, we are literally costing some people a significant amount of money to buy the really good machine so all they think they will find is the really good stuff.

I agree with Monty that the price for some of the things that we find is disappointing. Even here in Holland. A 17th century coin in really good shape goes for about $30. Now that's disappointing.

I, for one, am glad the stuff isn't worth that much. The more it's worth, the more effort people will put into finding it. We are talking backhoes, motorized sifters, the works. Can you imagine going to an old campsite and seeing heavy equipment digging and all the dirt being mechaically sifted to get all the coins, bullets, buckles, buttons, etc? Our world would not be the same. Only the people with money, lots of it, could get the stuff. The competition would be insane.

So I will gladly keep my tattered copper coins. The occasional interesting item. The few and far between ring, chain, and bracelet, and be happy to have them. They have no value. They are priceless. When I'm too old and beat up to metal detect anymore. Holding those items and remembering the good times in the field and on TN will be more valuable to me than anything I can think of. If I weren'r going to be cremated, I would want my stuff to be buried with me. Just knowing I would always be holding it makes things not so grim.

Now about that 15 toothed sprocket wheely thingy. That thing needs to be smashed, melted, cut into little pieces, smashed again, cut into smaller pieces, thrown in several rivers, flushed down a few toilets, given away, spread in a tot lots, and sent to an unknown PO box with no return address. That thing is WORTHLESS. Has no VALUE. What ever the hell it is, IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??? :'( :-\

Ok, my 2 cents worth again. OK so it's not really worth 2 cents.

Daryl

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done pretty well for myself in the past 4-5 years by knowing what old things are valuable and what are basically just junk that happens to be old. I've had to see the disappointment on too many people's faces when I tell them that grandma's collection of watchamacallits is basically worthless.

Sadly, this makes me a little bit jaded now when purchasing things for the house. I only try to buy quality items that I know will hold their value as much as possible over time and not just buy things because they might be pretty but are so mass produced that they are virtually worthless once taken from the store. But it is nice to know that if you are ever in a financial pinch that they items you have decorating your house could pay the mortgage for a year two.

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
I can see your point but offer you another.

Ebay is only one place to market your finds. It is not a true guide to what someone is going to pay or the items true worth.

Cheap items go for inflated prices every day on eBay. I have sold regular Civil War Bullets at a few dollars a piece on eBay. Put those same type of bullets in a fancy looking display case ($2 in cost) with a detailed description of the item and the area and possible battle and I have sold them for up to $40. But eBay is not even 1% of what I sell when I sell.

All you need to do is package the item right and get it in front of a person who has discretionary cash and sell the history of the item.

Also arrange consignment agreements with antique shops and trade stores.

Everything is worth more with packaging.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ericwt, have you ever sold ice cubes to an Eskimo? Bet you could! LOL Sure, I agree n your concept of salesmanship, but I am referring to your everyday mundane civil war button, circa 1920s watch FOB, rusty (tarnished) old wheat cent, etc. found by a novice who thinks it is worth hundreds of dollars just because it might be old? I can see how one could get into the hobby thinking of making many $$$ just by hitting the local parks and then find out that is the exception rather than the rule. For instance I thought silver coins would be found just about anywhere, and I thought gold coins were often found, which is not the case at all. But luckily I got onto a forum like Tnet from the beginning and a dose of reality set in and I found I still loved the sport of metal detecting whether I ever made money off of it or not. You'd be surprised how many people outside the "brotherhood" think I go out and find expensive jewelry and coins all the time. When I tell them it ain't so, they often say something like, "Well, why are you wasting your time doing that?" "You could be out playing golf, or something worthwhile!" ::) Well, I think everyone knows where I am coming from on my posed question, so on to other things. Monty

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
Well, why are you wasting your time doing that?" "You could be out playing golf, or something worthwhile!"

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of people dissing our hobby and saying other hobbies are better. If we enjoy ourselves, then that is all that should matter. At least our hobby has some return on investment in the form of some clad and the occasional old coin or jewelry.

They make fun of us because we are out just digging pennies and our hobby isn't making us rich... well neither are their hobbies, haha.

Golf is fun and enjoyable and I love it, but when it comes down to it, you are just throwing more and more money into it and never get a return on that money. The same goes for people who love video games, etc.

Like yesterday I found two pieces of gold and a piece of silver and some clad with a value of right around $70. I'd say that's a dang good day! But that's a rare day that happens once every few months where my finds significantly outweigh the time spent and cost of gas.

Do what you love to do, it's as simple as that.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with Ebay is that it has made many collectible items that were once available only at local antique shops, now available to everyone on a global scale,thus driving down the prices.Think about it.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
The problem with Ebay is that it has made many collectible items that were once available only at local antique shops, now available to everyone on a global scale,thus driving down the prices.Think about it.

But the rare items have only become more valuable because people have been able to see just how many are really out there. It has crushed the mid range level collectible and antique, but the lower end still fetch a good price and the higher end still fetch a great price! It's everything in between that has suffered.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
soo far i throw my clad and non collectible pennies in a bucket. when the bucket fills it goes to the coin counting machine at my bank where they dont charge a fee.

collectible coins get tossed in another box. "found" silver and gold go in a little bin i've been throwing stuff into since i was a kid. i look at it as my extreme emergency fund. if i'm ever in such bad financial shape that i need to sell the stuff then so be it, otherwise, gold and silver only gains value over time so their it sits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread