value of rolls of 40%

sneak

Oct 24, 2007
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Cat J said:
How many rolls would you save up to send in to melt?

I wouldn't send any in to melt! ;)

Somebody on another forum said they got $47 a roll for 40% at a coin show in Florida last weekend.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
I have nearly 3 boxes full. Sell? NOT, I'm saving them for when I retire. I figure it will be 50 bucks or so an ounce.

OP
OP
Cat J

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
I did not say I was ready to sell I was just asking what the price is up too.

Thanks
Cat

OP
OP
Cat J

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
ok so basically right now melt value is approx 130 a roll for 90% and $53 for 40%.

Thanks
Cat

OP
OP
Cat J

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Hey who is the guy who offered you $2 each I will be happy to pay him a visit.

LOL
Cat

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He will give you mopre than that now. When silver was at $17 he was offering $2.25 and $5.50 for 90%.
Now silver is at $17.99 and rising!.....UPDATE: $18.10

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just called the guy out of curiosity Cat. Even at $18 oz. he is only offering $2.25 each for the 40's. That is if you only had a few hundred dollars worth. If you had say, $1000 face value, he could offer more. He is offering $5.75 each for the 90's and, again, if you had a large quantity of them, he would make a few phone calls and possibly offer more.

OP
OP
Cat J

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
My plan was to hang on to them until silver went over $20 an oz. I might hang on to them longer. I don't really have enough right now to make a difference.

Thanks
Cat

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I JUST SAW A ROLL GO FOR 58 BUCKS ON EBAY. YOU CAN MAKE SOME GREAT PROFIT THERE.

-GOLDEN SILVER

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
golden silver said:
I JUST SAW A ROLL GO FOR 58 BUCKS ON EBAY. YOU CAN MAKE SOME GREAT PROFIT THERE.

-GOLDEN SILVER

After eb final value fees and paypul fees there is not room for much profit anymore...and now they will be reporting to the feds in some cases.
Didnt mean for my first post to sound so glum but thats the way I see it ...Hi everyone anyways! :)

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
awhitster said:
I have nearly 3 boxes full. Sell? NOT, I'm saving them for when I retire. I figure it will be 50 bucks or so an ounce.

But....you already are retired? why save em! lol

solariscool

Dec 21, 2007
Cat J said:
I forgot how much you can get for a roll of 40% ers. Can someone please let me know I have almost 30 rolls now. And five or six rolls of 64's. How many rolls would you save up to send in to melt?

Thanks
Cat

I would never melt beautiful half dollars but thats just me. My local coin shop bought a few rolls from me a week or so ago for $52 each. You should talk with the local coin shops before sending to a refiner.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
jewelerdave said:
awhitster said:

But....you already are retired? why save em! lol
I wished. Maybe a few more dream boxes and I can :icon_sunny:

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
solariscool said:
Cat J said:
I forgot how much you can get for a roll of 40% ers. Can someone please let me know I have almost 30 rolls now. And five or six rolls of 64's. How many rolls would you save up to send in to melt?

Thanks
Cat
I only have one coin store in a 60 mile radius. What's he giving. 10X on 90's, $1 lousy freaking dollar for 40's. I'm not selling but what a rip. I told my bro I should sit in the parking lot with a sign offering $1.50......LOL

I would never melt beautiful half dollars but that's just me. My local coin shop bought a few rolls from me a week or so ago for $52 each. You should talk with the local coin shops before sending to a refiner.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
[/quote]

I would never melt beautiful half dollars but thats just me. My local coin shop bought a few rolls from me a week or so ago for $52 each. You should talk with the local coin shops before sending to a refiner.
[/quote]

At Current Prices my refiner pays $57.50 a roll for melting. thats Just too good to turn down. Thats 96% of melt for 40s, and I get 98% of 90's thats better than a coin dealer will pay, particularly when the guy locally here pays only 70 cents per 40%er, Why bother?
I cant refine them myself for cheaper.

Of course I follow economy of scale. I dont melt the 70 D's or S's i have, or the 68's or 69's But the dirty nasty worn ones...no one is going to pay a premium for them, same for the 64 kens that have even a scratch on them or spot of tarnish, no matter how unworn. Just no one to pay a premium.
now the mint state 40s I do keep, But please keep in mind, the only way to make something more valuable is to make it more limited. the more I send in for melt. the more valuable and rare the ones you have horded become!
I suggest seperating out all the nasty, dammaged silver coins and melting them. Really, who is going to buy them?

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Check out Kitco.com or google "spot silver price" one of the first listings will be ( 24-hour Spot Chart - Silver ). Click on that and it will take you to a live silver graph.
Above that find a tab that says Precious metal store. Click on that..now just below that tab you should find-selling to kitco...Click on that now you should see below those tabs 2 choices.... Bullion Products or Materials for Refining...Click on Materials for refning. and bada bing bada boom you got the most current price for your junk silver.
As I write the chart shows me silver @ $19.91 U.S. so they will pay you ($2.42ea.)$48.53 for a roll of %40 and ($6.36 ea.) 127.25 for a roll of %90 but you got to figure in postage and handleing and insurance. and wait about 2 weeks for your money. wich aint so bad
Your local coin dealer is probably shipping it out to them after they buy it off of you at a discount. If you can wait for the process cut out the middle man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread